“bargain just make sure it open”

The Red Lodge Museum
Ranked #38 of 215 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: What secrets lie behind the bright red door? Step inside the TARDIS and experience more than 400 years of history in the museum where you feel you have left the modern world behind. From 'royal party house' of the 16th Century to Victorian reform school for girls, see how the lodge has changed over time.
Reviewed May 15, 2013

interesting way to spend a lunch time. its free and within easy access of town (just behind Trenchard Street carpark) Just make sure its open as the days vary

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Like many Bristolians, I suspect, I have walked past the Red Lodge for years, and kept meaning to pay a visit. It is certainly worth taking the time to have a look around this Tardis of a building. The Red Lodge is of historical significance to the city, has beautiful wood panelling, and an interesting history of its own. Go visit!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was a real find - tucked away behind a simple red door, I had to double-check that this was the way in. They might do more to advertise. Anyway, it's a preserved townhouse - Tudor upstairs, where you're advised to start, Georgian downstairs. Really friendly, Irish guide at the entrance to hand out information sheets and tell people where to go. Recommended!

4  Thank u2fancat
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We visited the Red Lodge on a Saturday during the Olympics so it was pretty quiet. Starting at the top we were wandering round when one of the guides started chatting to us. And we're so glad she did!

Sorry to say that I can't remember her name but she was Irish and she knows her stuff about this house! It was fascinating. We asked lots of questions and she told so many storied about everything from the portrait of Queen Elizabeth, to the history of the house, the wood panelling, graffiti from it's school days and the shackles in the cellar! It really made our visit and I'm one of those people who usually likes to wander round by myself and not speak to people. I'm so pleased that she guided us through the house, she was wonderful to listen to but also related everything to us. An excellent visit and well worth a trip. Plus, it's free to go, but we all gave donations that reflected the brilliant experience we'd received.

3  Thank Indiebar
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Red Lodge isn't easy to spot, and I don't think it's that well known, even among locals. The house is so beautiful and the Elizabethan decorations are stunning. It's a lot bigger inside than it first seems, but not all of it is open to the public.
Entrance is free (although donations are encouraged), and I would highly recommend visiting.

2  Thank CJM88