“Fun in the sun at Bristol Zoo Gardens (and Dinos!)”

Bristol Zoo Gardens
Ranked #14 of 214 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: At Bristol Zoo Gardens you can enjoy an amazing world of animals, all within our award-winning 12 acre gardens. With over 400 species and 9 animals houses under cover, you'll enjoy your visit whatever the weather. We suggest you allow 2-5 hours for your visit to really take in everything we have to offer.By visiting Bristol Zoo you will be directly contributing to the conservation of endangered species and habitats.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Visited with 3 young children (5, 5 and 8) on a scorching Friday immediately before the majority of schools summer holidays started and we had a FANTASTIC afternoon at Bristol Zoo. Having been once before 3 years ago we were delighted to have another great visit and in beautiful weather. My 5 year old was over the moon at the dinosaur trail, which was incredible, and all the children had a brilliant time in the little water play area which was busy with small children (babies and toddlers) but still had room for our slightly older children. The zoo felt quite quiet and not at all crowded although the car park had been almost full when we arrived. Our highlights were the seals and their underwater viewing gallery/tunnel which was brilliant, we were lucky to see the seals being fed from above and below water which was great fun for the kids (and adults!) and the squirting water features by the lions (on arrival) and at one of the dinosaurs. On such a hot day the kids really loved these bits and had great fun getting soaked before going to the water play area. The zoo gardens are really beautiful and the park is very clean and easily accessible for either buggies or wheelchairs as it's very flat. The undercover café and ice cream parlour area was very clean and we all enjoyed great ice creams and a much needed cool down. Having travelled from North Devon we arrived at the zoo at 1pm and by 5pm had only seen around half of the animals due to having so much fun at the water park and the great kids adventure play area too. The gorilla house is being renovated and so we didn't see the gorillas this time but there is so much else to see and do we could have stayed for hours more had we had the time. We will definitely be back. Memberships are well worth it, we are reciprocal members through another zoo and highly recommend! A great, safe, fun day out for all ages in a lovely setting.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,048)

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Went just before the start of the summer holidays with our 1&3year olds. Was surprise to find car park full. Ended up on a residential street a 10 minute walk away but it was free unlike the zoo parking and we had the pram and carrier so not an issue.
The zoo is in a very small area but they've really thought about how to use the space. Lots of interesting areas, the current dinosaur models were a hit, lovely green areas to sit. Food top notch - such a pleasant surprise. Would really recommend it over disappointing Paignton zoo further down the coast.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Basically if you are going to visit more than once then membership is obligatory. There is a lot to see and if you have kids they won't get bored. Believe me, I've been a there a gazillian times!

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to spend a rare day off together at Bristol Zoo. I have been before but only when I was tiny so I don't remember much. We booked in advance online, which was an easy process. Your e-ticket is valid for 12 months which is handy, we were coming a long way and if we'd had to change our plans it would have been good to know we wouldn't have lost out.
I was a little peeved to see that parking at the zoo had to be paid for - I appreciate that revenue needs to be earned but not many other zoos do this. As parking was full we found a quiet side street to park in. We went past the car park and from what we saw it seemed very small for such a large zoo.
Once inside the zoo, the range of animals is great. We spent almost all day here and managed to see every animal at least once. Some enclosures we had to visit a few times (eg lions) but that's the way if it - animals are in zoos to be protected, not to be on display all the time.
The enclosures were fantastic. You felt very much like you were in the animal's home, not that they were just 'plonked' in cages for you to look at. Many of the enclosures had no glass or mesh, instead a moat was used to separate the animals, so you feel like you are in their environment. Seal and Penguin coasts were just amazing, walking underneath the animals as they swam above you was incredible.
The only small negatives I had was that some of the tanks in the aquarium seemed a little small for the fish. Also the prices in the restaurant were very steep (much like other zoos/attractions) We paid £6.10 for two bottles of water and two Calippo ice lollies. Come on.
Other than that a wonderful day in a great zoo. Enclosures are great quality and animals seem happy and enriched. We even spotted the red panda up close which made my day.
Tips - Bring food with you, park in a side street if you can, and bring your camera!

1  Thank MrsKSG
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We visited Bristol zoo as a family day reunion. 17 of us in total and overall I am glad I was with my family because the zoo didn't make my day.

I have visited some world class zoos in my time and this one was bottom of the list.

The zoo is small to walk around so great for little ones, food and drinks were reasonably priced. On the hottest day of the year it wasn't that busy, which was great. However the conditions for the animals were poor. I like zoos so I am not on my soap box but the water features in the park were shocking. There were empty coke cans in some animal enclosures, and we found 8 dead fish in another. Clearly the heat and no water fountain the fish were starving of oxygen. When raised with management they did they knew about it, yet did nothing. Apparently it would disturb the animals in enclosures!

The zoo closes at 5 and I felt bad ordering a tea at 3:00 cause they were closing up.

All round the zoo looked dirty and unloved, poor show for this day and age

1  Thank walker7478