“No room to swing a cat!”

Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed November 30, 2006

I was really surprised to find so many flattering reviews!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the hotel itself. But the size of the rooms, the location and the prices let it down. The public areas are modern and stylish, the service and bar very nice. But those rooms! It is uncomfortably small. The bathroom is laughably small. The plasma tv and the cd player are lovely touches and the mini-bar 'basket' is very kitsch. Why you would ever want to order room service here is beyond me, I'd get claustrophobic! For a one night stay where you are going out anyway it is fine, but not for a leisure or long stay. At the weekend the rates are much more affordable, esp from other websites, but in the week the rates are astronomical for what you actually get. Not particuarly central or pleasant location either.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BecciT

Reviewed October 18, 2006

The City Inn in Bristol is unique amongst other city-based hotels.
Situated in the heart of Temple Quay (Bristol's equivalent to London's docklands). It is contemporary, modern and stylish, and offers the business traveller to the West Country an oasis of chic, contemporary comfort. This would be my number one choice whenever I fly into Bristol. As a French resident, the hotel, and the City Café, offers me everything that I would wish to find in France. The very buzzing City Café, in the capable hands of David Quinion, offers the most imaginative cuisine that one could expect to find in Bristol. Coming from Southern France, I well remember the saddle of rabbit with black pudding on an apple, potato and sage rosti. As I will be back there on 5 November , I hope that he still has it on the menu! If not, I am confident that there will be something to take its place - every dish on the menu is a temptation for the tastebuds!

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank annuccia
Reviewed October 17, 2006

The 4th time I've stayed at this hotel! A great hotel! Its always my 1st choice of hotel when I go to Bristol. Its just that bit nicer than a "budget" hotel.

Price:
I think this hotel is a bargain considering it's in Bristol city centre. The £10-£20 more I've paid on average to stay here rather that at large budget hotel chains is definitely worth it.

Service:
Always had great service from the staff at the hotel

Room:
Very comfortable, with flatscreen TV, DVD player and movie selection, complementary chocolate biscuits and a good in-room selection of snacks to buy.

The bathroom was small but stylish and modern, great shower, but no bath. Bath robes are supplied.

Restaurant:
I ate here for the first time this stay and was not disappointed. I received a voucher on check in for free wine and the 3 course dinner was very very good and not over priced considering the standard.

Location:
Very near the Temple Meads Station and in centre/business district.

Other:
This City Inn has parking. There are a few more City Inns around the country. Don't forget to go and see Bristol's very own "Leaning Tower" - Temple Church at the rear of the hotel!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pmfreeman
Reviewed October 9, 2006

I loved this hotel for all it's creature comforts. I stayed 5 night in a row and then came back for a following 1 night stay after the weekend. I had the choice when I came for work to Bristol to stay in the Marriot which was closer to the office, however the extras this place offered stole my attention from the airmiles bonus I would have got at the Marriott.

The City Inn is about a 5 to 10 minute walk from Temple Meads station. If you exit the station via the car park (follow the signs for the ferry) its much quicker than going all the way down to the main road and navigating the roundabouts.

Check-in was quick and painless. I had a 5th floor garden facing room. The DVD and CD player are fantastic and the LCD TV is so much better than TVs boxed in cupboards that other places do. The best bit was the FREE broadband access. I just plugged my laptop in and away I went. Much better than typing my personal email offline having to wait before I get into the office before sending it on. I felt I could get on with life, even though I was away for work.

The room itself is done out in modern comforting colours. Very smart and upmarket. I liked the comfy chair (see photo). The bed was my only sore point. It was a bit soft to my liking. But the next room I had contained a much better bed. Bathrooms are compact, but stylish and clean. One large chain hotel I stayed in had a huge bathroom and they never bothered to clean under the wash basins! yuch! Nice amenity kits too. Shower (which can hold two) was powerful. Rooms have A/c but the window can open as well so you can get fresh air. The second room I had was on the road side and slightly noiser in the early morning. There was a hum that I could hear at anytime which was the ventelation system I assume.

Room service was fine and prompt with a very pleasant staff member delivering. He always made a point of saying hello when he saw me in the hotel over the next few days which makes a nice change from being invisible! The food was good, but I'd like to see a daily changing item for all us long stayers! And maybe a pasta dish too.

Breakfast was efficient and tasty. 3 serials to choose from, a variety of juices, teas and coffee, mini danishes and croissants (just help yourself to as many as you want!) yoghurts, smoked salmon, mortadella, salami and cheeses as well as the full english. The eggs weren't to my liking but the sausages were not your boring standard ones. These were very tasty! Staff were very attentive here also. Check your rate to see if its worthwhile including breakfast or paying separately for it. My Sunday night stay was £90 incl breakfast, but room only was £70 and to buy the full buffet would have been £12.50 (the continental was 8.50, iirc)

There is a small "fitness room" which has a basic multi gym, runner and bike along with a few other pieces. Not fantastic, but does the job.

This hotel is ideally located for those working in/visiting the area bounded by the Castlemead tower in the north, Temple Quay in the south/west and Up to Victoria St in the east. To get to the touristy bits, its a pleasant 10 to 15 min walk. Resturants were a bit lacking nearby, but maybe I didn't know my way round. A bus outside the door can take you to some of the busier areas.

This is a lovely hotel and if I had to go back for work I'd stay there again. If I came on holiday I would look at the rate offered and what I wanted to see. I may stay elsewhere as a tourist just to be closer to the action, but I'd miss out on all the home comforts offered here and the quality of service from the staff.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank fly4fun2
Reviewed October 2, 2006

My husband and I live in Bristol, but decided that we would have a night away from home. The romantic package as detailed on the website, whilst expensive, seemed like it would be a nice treat. There is very limited parking, but luckily, we found a space. When we got to our room, rose petals had been sprinkled on the bed and the box of chocolates were waiting. Given that I had spent £195, I expected a larger box, not a box with 9 chocolates in, but all the same a nice touch. The champagne (which I wouldn't recommend) was on ice, although the ice had melted and had formed an attractive puddle on the desk. One of the champagne glasses was chipped and there was a card in our room addressed to a Mr Windsor (not me). Aside from this, the room was small but perfectly adequate and clean and modern. There was a LCD TV which was small, but good enough, dvd player, cd player and basket of goodies which you should check are all there first otherwise you will get charged. The bathroom is absolutely tiny, and although the shower is powerful, and yes has room for 2, there is no bath and as I hadn't realised this, a big let down. Bathrobes are supplied but they are not the nice fluffy, luxurious hotel robes, they are quite scratchy, and at one size only, are very small. To make matters worse, once my husband had squeezed into his (as I said, they are small) he found a dirty tissue in the pocket - not nice.

DVD's and CD's are available to borrow free from reception and so we borrowed a DVD and curled up on the extremely comfy bed to watch. As part of the romantic package a 3 course meal was included in the restaurant. As commented by one previous reviewer, you were made to feel very much as though you could only have from the specific menu, and not upgrade, even if you wanted to - and this certainly wasn't good enough when it came to desert. The food was very nice, although nothing particularly special and the service wasn't especially good. one of the other things that was included in the package was a special champagne breakfast in bed. When we had checked in, nobody asked us what time we wanted breakfast, or what we wanted so on the way upstairs I asked at reception. They took the time that we wanted breakfast down, but didn't know what was included.

We had a very good nights sleep, but were rudely awaken at 8.30 with our breakfast - we had asked for it at 9.30. Breakfast consisted of a very small english breakfast, a few small croissant items and some cornflakes. (oh and 2 glasses of the same horrid champagne) - all in all not impressive. As it turned out, we could have specified what we wanted on the menu in room, and simply hung this on the door which would have given us a much better choice, however we were not told this and consequently left the hotel very hungry.

Had I simply paid the £75 room only price, I would have been perfectly happy with everything, but given the price would have paid for a top notch room at hotel du vin just down the road (albeit not including food) I was rather disappointed. Would stay here for a quick stop over, but shan't be making a "romantic" night of it again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carolyn1696
Reviewed September 26, 2006

Stayed here with my girlfriend just before the start of the world cup (get some brownie points before i watched hours of football). Nice hotel, ive paid allot more and got allot less.

Very nice modern rooms, well equipped with home entertainment systems (DVD player and decent Hifi). Spacious bathroom, fantastic shower plenty of room for two.

Some road noise but this had more to do with the low level room over looking a busy road.

One negative Limited Free parking.

Overall very nice, would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank The_Craven
Reviewed September 12, 2006

My partner and I stayed here for the Balloon Festival Weekend. It was very handy to the train station being about a 10 minute walk.

The rooms are modern, however smaller than we expected. The facilities are good in the room with flat screen TV and CD/Radio player. Bed was comfortable and room was clean.

We didn't eat in the restarant however ordered room service. The food was presented nicely but we felt it was over priced, especially when you add on the tray service fee.

We were on the first floor and there was a lot of noise from outside late at night from guests departing the bar downstairs.

Biggest gripe is that they held our deposit on our credit card for more than a week after we checked out due to staff not releasing the deposit upon our check out. I had to follow up with more than 5 phone calls before the charge was released.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple