“Base for Bath trip”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Base for Bath trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, using Bristol and the hotel as my base for a 2-day leisure trip to Bath. The hotel is conveniently located for Temple Meads Station, which is only about a 5-min walk. There are frequent trains between Bristol Temple Meads and Bath Spa. My room was modern, clean, and had all the conveniences (coffee, tea making facilities, safe, fridge and love the Neutrogena toiletries). Lucia at reception was always smiley and helpful. As people have commented, the rooms are indeed on the small side but that didn't really matter to me, as I traveled on my own. They have a small gym which I used a few times during my stay. I would have preferred a normal tv versus an iMac as it's not really suited for watching tv shows and I never used it as a computer - but this is a minor comment. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the park if like me, you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
kevin_byrnes1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Tess14344,

Thank you for taking the time to explore two of the South Wests Best loved cities during your recent stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre.

Located close to the Temple Meads Train Station which is about 15 minutes to Bath City Centre leaves us ideally located in the heart of Bristol's shopping area to base yourself during time in the region.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the area.

Kevin Byrnes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had a lovely room on the 4th floor - it felt brand new and was very clean.
Fab Apple TV and comfy desk chair, I would have been very pleased with this if travelling on business.
The room was boiling though, and the air con just created a dry mouth situation which was worse than the heat. I struggled to sleep on the first night because of this.
I used the hotel gym which was deserted and well equipped, but on day two went running outside rather than the treadmill and found a brilliant route down along the harbour side to the ss Great Britain. Far more scenic than the gym wall :0)
We ate at Marcos olive branch which was just through the park. One of the best Italian (technically Sardinian!) meals I've ever eaten, with great value and service.
We booked through Hotwire and got our parking free. We arrived early and spaces weren't an issue. Later that evening the car park was rammed.
I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the garden side, 4th floor and it was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
kevin_byrnes1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Katie76,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre.

I am delighted read that you enjoyed your time both in the hotel itself and in the beautiful city of Bristol.

I have noted your comments regarding the air conditioning and will advise my maintenance team to review and see if our system had any faults over the last few days.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in the area.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

I travelled with my daughter on an overnight coach trip. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for coach parties. Even our driver had to argue with the staff. They were expecting us eat our evening meal at 8pm including the under 10s that were on board, but after some persuading they changed their minds. We had no menus, they gave us a set meal but the chef spat his dummy out because he had to cook different meals for the 2 children. We asked what was to eat but we could barely understand them as they weren't English (I have no problem with that) but they spoke quietly and fast.

As this hotel is very near the city centre it is more suited for business trips rather than holidays.

The rooms are on the small side and there isn't a TV in the room, but on the plus side there is a imac (computer) with FREE internet, you can watch TV on the imac but there is only a limited amount of channels.

We found the hotel to be clean and tidy as was our room, except for the curtains, they looked like they had been sprayed with grease or something, they were completely stained.

The beds were clean and comfortable, but not suitable for elderly fragile people, the beds were quite high off the ground I could barely get on it. If an elderly person fell out of these beds they could possibly break something (I mean bones not furniture).

It is quiet with some parking (fee paying) which should be free for the price you pay to stay.

If it's a Hilton hotel you want to stay in try Hilton Bristol near the M4 and M5.

We had no choice but to stay here as it was part of the package but given the choice I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stained curtains room 332 is quiet and away from the main road.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank daisie67
Dear daisie67,

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback on your stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre. I am disappointed you felt there were aspects of your stay that were not as you would have liked, and I can assure you that we will review the points raised and investigate why they occurred, providing the required training where relevant.
We have developed a strong relationship with many companies to ensure our hotel is accessible for all our residents from those who are younger, to those with more life experience.
We continually review the offering and work with companies such as our coach partners to ensure we provide dining in line with their package offering and I am sorry you felt this was not adequate on this occasion. Our hotel also has rooms which are adapted to meet the need of guests with many special requirements, including beds which have lower frames which allows more comfortable access, when requested.

I would be delighted to investigate any of the issues further and discuss these with you should you require or have my Deputy Hotel Manager - Mario Laaf contact you at a convenient time.

I look forward to hearing further from you.

kevin.byrnes@hilton.com
Maidenhead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

We went to celebrate my uncles 70th birthday and were looked after royally. The rooms were well presented, comfortable and tidy - my teenage children loved the imac. Reception staff were always welcoming and helpful. Breakfast was good and the staff keen to help. The real stars for us were the evening staff that made sure that my uncles meal went brilliantly and catered for all of our needs - the food was good quality. The Head waitress organised the room, put up a few decorations, looked after our cake well and made my uncle feel really positive. The hotel and its staff just made everything easy - the parking and the location were also great.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear MDHmaid,

Thank you for taking the time to complete such an in-depth review of your stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre.

I am delighted to see that your special family occasion with us was so pleasant and the team looked after you so well and you chose us to celebrate such a momentous occasion with us.

I do hope you chose to stay with us on your next stay in the area.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Comfortable and reasonably convenient for city centre, good value with free internet access and a good breakfast. Evening bar food was also very tasty. It is next to a dual carriageway so you want a room on the opposite side of possible (overlooking a quiet side street).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Ewan J,

I am delighted to see you enjoyed all aspects of your time here in Bristol and look forward to welcoming you back to our property in Bristol or perhaps our sister property in Glasgow itself.

Thank you once again for the comments.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

The lady at check in was very friendly and I was even offered a double chocolate baked cookie on check in, which I devoured with a cup of tea in the room.
The room was at the end of the corridor, so I feel my room my have been bigger than others. It was very spacious and the bathroom has all the facilities. I was delighted to see that there was not a TV, but an iMac in the room, meaning it doubles up as a computer and TV.Took a while to understand how to turn on, and everytime I moved the screen it would turn off which was a bit annoying. But had to hold the button down for a few seconds to turn it on. My toilet took a few attempts to flush, but have to hold it down for a long time. Iron and ironing board is provided in the room which was handy for my business meeting tomorrow. Tea and coffee facilities are handy for the morning.
Location wise, it is only a few minutes walk from temple meads station, and also a few minutes to my meeting the next morning. It has a perfect location and very easy to find, not complicated at all. Beware it is on the main road though, my room faced onto the dual carriageway, although I was not affected by the noise at all.
Included in my package was a 3 course dinner and bottle of sparkling wine. The restaurant is quite small, and filled mostly with families on a lazy sunday evening. I had the fishcakes, sea bream and treacle tart. All were very tasty and well presented. I did feel quite rushed as the food came extremely fast, however this would be good if you were feeling very hungry or was in a hurry. but i had my meal in 40 minutes, as the dishes were ready as soon as you finished, I don't know whether this was because the waitresses were in a rush though.
The bed is extremely conmfortable and I slept well, no noise at all until about 9am, which is great.
Breakfast was varied with both cooked breakfast and continental, as well as this, you could make your own waffles with batter and machine provided, and you could order extras like omlettes, eggs how you like them etc. The sausages were proper sausages and tasted great, the bacon a bit greasy for me but I've had worse. Everything to a high standard.
All in all, I am very impressed with this hotel, considering the price I paid £79 with dinner included for one night, it is very good value for money.

Room Tip: Try and get a room not on the main road
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
kevin_byrnes1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear oliviajenkins13,

I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the team to be so friendly. I have noted your comments relating to various aspects of your stay and will ensure these are passed to the relevant Departmental Head to address.

I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

Busy hotel within distance of just about everything. Breakfast till 12:00 is great, staff are very friendly and rooms are clean. One watch word though, in this particular hotel the bar is not part of the chain but Franchised out and will close whenever they think - even if customers are there still looking for that cheeky last drink.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

kevin_byrnes1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear elainel330,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre. I am delighted to read you found the hotel and team to be so friendly and helpful.
I note your comments regarding the bar and would like to apologise for the confusion surrounding this following on from your email to us alerting of your experience. All the food and beverage outlets within the hotel are owned and operated by the hotel and are not franchised. The bar has later opening times on Fridays and Saturdays to accommodate our guests who wish to have drinks in to the early hours. On the occasion in question I understand this was not communicated to you and we have taken the appropriate disciplinary action against the relevant team member.
Once again I am delighted overall you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.