“"Deal or no Deal"”

Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Northampton
“"Deal or no Deal"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked this hotel so that we could attend the filming of the TV game show "Deal or no Deal". It was conveniently located for the studio and took about 20 minutes to walk there. We were on a bed and breakfast plus evening meal plan and the food was excellent value, nicely presented and tasted amazing! Good location for walking around Bristol. The only downside was it was hot in the room as the window only opened the minutest amount and the air conditioning didn't cope as the room over the park was in full sunlight.

Room Tip: Request overlooking the park to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you dined with us and enjoyed the food. We have a number of inclusive packages available which are bookable on our website.

I am pleased that our location was convenient for you and hope you enjoyed "deal or no deal"!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Craig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

A ten minute walk brings you into central Bristol with its various shops, restaurants and bars. The Hilton is also a couple of minutes walk from the main line station. So the best of both worlds. The hotel rooms aren't huge but they have everything you need. Including an apple mac computer which is free to use. Breakfast's how ever great with lots to chose from. We will definitely return

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had a great stay and found our location convenient.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel has a good location, walking distance from the train station and slightly longer from town. Very friendly staff, a very handy 24hr "pantry" with various snacks, drinks (including alcohol, with a weekend special), toiletries, and even microwaveable meals, available for purchase (pay at reception). And a microwave. I suppose you get plates from the restaurant if you want them. Anyway, it's a better idea than a minibar - and more reasonably priced.

The room itself was lovely, with an interesting feature of an imac that doubles as a tv. Which is fine, although the only disadvantage I could see was it meant you couldn't turn the tv on from bed, if you wanted to. You could turn it off with the remote, but not on. Ah well. The free wifi was appreciated.

The cupboards seemed to have lights inside that turn on when the door is opened, but these weren't working in my room. Well, the lights in the wardrobe flashed briefly and went out. I guess the bulbs need changing. In other electronic malfunctions, the lifts were apparently out of order for my first full day there. Well, the hotel was very busy that day - maybe they collapsed under the strain. They worked when I needed to move my luggage.

The staff, while lovely, could be described as a bit scatty. My first dinner reservation went completely AWOL. I was on a dine & wine deal, which meant dinner, with wine, was included for the duration of my stay. I was too late to avail of it the first evening, so got a breakfast voucher instead. Next day, had a good breakfast - the option to make your own waffles is one I haven't seen before - and, as I had been advised, made a reservation for dinner that evening. When I arrived for dinner, the restaurant was crammed, but I said I'd be happy to sit in the bar. Which was lucky, because I then got the option of choosing from the bar menu, which I preferred to the set restaurant menu that comes with this offer, but I was allowed to choose a dessert from the restaurant menu.

On the second evening, the restaurant was much less crowded and I had to choose from the set restaurant menu. Which had the same main courses as the day before. O dear. Well, I did my best, but it just wasn't to my taste, and the brownie I ordered for dessert, which took a solid half hour to arrive, tasted stale.

Check-out was a bit harrowing. After a long-ish queue, I was presented with a bill for about £34. What?! My only charge was one breakfast - I had only eaten two, and one of those was with a voucher (see above). I asked for an itemised bill, which took a while to print (awkward, I was in a hurry) and which showed a whole cluster of different charges. The girl on check-out seemed confused, and told me I was being charged for three breakfasts. She also told me that breakfast was £12.90 (which amount never appeared on the bill, nor any multiple of it). I had to explain the situation to her several times, at the end of which I wasn't charged for any breakfasts at all! Well, whatever.

Overall, a good trip, with minor quibbles.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your very constructive review.

I have taken on board all of your points and shared these with our team.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

basildon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great hotel location good staff very helpful. Small car park lucky to get a space, packed breakfast room, rather manic. Otherwise functional clean and comfortable. Not much character but friendly and helpful

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We arrived as apart of our wedding anniversary weekend with mxed emotions about coming here in the week.
1- we booked via expedia and had a last minute change (bringing our 4year old) i called the hotel who said quite bluntly they wouldnt do anything as it was booked through a 3rd party and i'd have to call them. SOoooo i did...and the expedia gent couldnt be more helpful saying that this was a common issue and they'd speak to the hotel now and get back with me, a few moments on hold and a shocked expedia agent said they had refuse, like in my earlier call to do anything their and id have to see if i could upgrade upon arrival.
2- so we arrive, and check in - the front car park is a nightmare to manouvere around go out the back you have to pay but at least you'll be able to get out. i explain our issue QUITE CLEARERLY stating she is 4 and they advise they will put an extra bed in the room (brilliant!).
So we get in after a 20 minute wait and they've put in a babys cot??!!
So another complain to reception and we're moved to 2 single bed room with an extra fold out bed. ridiculous.

The room in itself was fine, MACs are cool and with me on the laptop watching rugby, my wife on her kindle and my daughter using the mac to play we could all unwind for a few hours.

Dont bother ordering a taxi we wanted one straight away there was a call put in 3 taxis outside for some bloke who wanted in 45 minutes later and they wouldnt take us - god knows where ours went.
So we eneded up, frustrated and annoyed, walking to where we wanted to go!
Another thing that was alarming was that my wife ended up leaving two items of clothing in the room which have mysteriously gone missing?? No call back either.

Room Tip: Dont bother...go to another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Craig C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
I would like to sincerely apologise for the catalogue of problems you had during your stay, especially as it was a special occasion.

I can assure you that this is not our usual high standards of service and hospitality which take great pride in.

We have now contacted you privately to further apologise and hopefully restore your faith with us.

Camberley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Travelled to Bristol with a large group for a stag weekend and didn't know where we were staying until arrival. This was slightly unnerving as usually I plan where I'm staying and do a bit of research beforehand. However, the hotel was fine and only about 5 minutes walk from the station. It looked fairly new although the corridor carpets were being replaced during our stay. The room had everything we required - the bathroom (shower only) was a bit on the small size but there were a good selection of toiletries and it was clean.

The walk to the city centre was just over 10 minutes and there was plenty of choice for bars, clubs and restaurants. However, they were geared to a younger crowd than my age group and as the oldest I bowed out around midnight both nights to let the others "get on with it". On Saturday we spent the day at Max events (near the M5 towards Cribbs Causeway) and took part in off road buggies, Clay shooting and paintball. overall it was ok but disorganised with a fair bit of waiting around - especially between paintball games. Fortunately the weather was chilly but not wet which was a plus.

We had breakfast on both days and would recommend waiting until around 0930hrs on Saturday and 1030hrs on Sunday as unless you get there at opening time it can be full and and you'll have to wait whilst items are replaced. Also, table service for tea etc will be slower. That having said, there was a good selection of food, eggs can be cooked to order and there was a waffle machine for those with a bit more patience than me. A larger toaster (or more) would be a suggestion but on the second morning I got into the knack of taking toast already at the bottom of the machine which guests had either forgotten or more likely intended to retrieve as they couldn't be bothered to wait for the cycle to complete (my thanks to them for saving my time!).

If I had a gripe it would be regarding the bedside clock - ours showed the wrong time and we couldn't work out how to change it. My assumption was that it automatically updated but even the receptionist admitted to not knowing how to change the display time - perhaps some Brain of Britain will let me know the answer in their review?

There's a Tesco Express just the other side of the park and as rooms have an empty fridge you can stock up with drink etc.

Room Tip: our room was at the back overlooking the park and with the windows closed it was quite at night - no...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Craig C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend. We have just finished replacing our corridor carpets which now completes our full refurbishment of the hotel.

I am sorry that your bedroom clock time was incorrect, our housekeeping team change these in each room so we will check that they are all now correct.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Ouagadougou
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Booked by telephone for two nights through Hilton Reservations.

Contacted the hotel the evening before arrival to advise them of my intended arrival time at the hotel, ask about parking facilities and to give them my contact details.

Imagine my surprise and disgust upon arrival to find that there were no rooms available at this particular inn. The place was overbooked, but they 'would try and rebook me somewhere else'...

I asked the very nice and apologetic lady at the front desk to see the operations manager or the general manager, but was advised there was no manager on site.

It transpired other guests were also being turned away and had been waiting for accommodation at other hotels for some time. This, so I was advised, was normal policy at this hotel.

When they tried to rebook me at the nearby Mercure, no rooms were available.

I asked if the Bristol Hilton was near the airport and if it was available, but was told this was much more expensive. I told them I didn't care, as they would be paying the bill, which in fairness they eventually did.

Yes, the Hilton was near the airport and had rooms, so off we went, but not before Sylvia at the front desk for her kind efforts.

The Hilton turned out to be on the opposite end of town from the airport, but they were welcoming and friendly and actually had rooms. Although they were not owned by the same proprietors as the Garden Inn, they did everything they could to make up for the dismal failures of the Garden Inn.

A call to the Garden Inn a couple of days later in the hope of speaking to the Operations Manager or the General Manager netted the response that I could have their email addresses... I was eventually told they were not in the office, but would call me back.

You've guessed it: I am still waiting.

Overbooking is bad enough, not having alternative accommodation arranged pretty poor, but not informing me when I have spoken to the hotel the previous evening and they have my contact details is quite simply a disgrace and a long way from the Hilton promise!

If you want somewhere reliable, trustworthy and customer focused and friendly to stay, this clearly isn't the place.

Stayed April 2013
5 Thank StanleyLivingstone
At the outset I would like to offer my sincere apologies that we could not accommodate your booking and for the frustration and further disappointment caused through miscommunication.

I can assure you that this is not indicative of our hospitality and service and we have now resolved this privately with you.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back soon and restoring your faith with Hilton Garden Inn.