“Excellent value and service”

Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Excellent value and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visiting Bristol for an overnight theatre trip, we booked a double room for one night. This hotel was perfect - opposite a park on one side, walking distance to all the central sites, and convenient for transport. However what marked it out for me were the very friendly and helpful staff, our spotlessly clean, quiet, and well-designed room, and small attention to detail (crisp bedlinen, and a state of the art, designer desk chair, perfect for my bad back). It's not a luxury hotel, but it delivered in all the essential areas and I'd certainly not look any further when I visit Bristol again for a short stay. Breakfast was good, not exceptional, but there were specials we could have ordered from the kitchen which we didn't try - and again, we had very good service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a good value hotel which I've stayed at before when it was the City Inn and the the Mint. Hilton seem to have refreshed the rooms with new carpet and paint which has been done well.

It's a budget style operation - decent rates, modest size rooms, tiny bathroom etc. But where it scores extra points is that it is clean, modern, extremely comy beds, and the staff seem genuinely interested in helping out. And the computers in each room are a brilliant touch which other hotels really ought to follow - it gives you TV, radio etc but with free internet access too.

The bits that are a let down are really quire minor and not exactly worth worrying about in the great scheme of things. Some wear and tear was evident - bulb out, bare wire on the PC mouse cable etc. Annoyingly the aircon diagram on the wall didnt match the controls which made things confusing.

A tasty buffet breakfast, efficient service. But sadly it was lukewarm due to a combination of cold plates and the food itself being kept below an ideal temperature. Great shame because it was jolly tasty fare. Nice touch was the eggs fired to order whilst you wait.

In all I'd happily stay again and would feel pleased if my company books me here.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms are all pretty much identical. A little road noise if you are at the front but r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Girona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

A functional, well located hotel and serving some of the best breakfast food I've ever had. My companion & I arrived too late to expect much in the way of service but to our surprise the reception staff ordered in our food whilst the bar staff, Tatjana that is, stayed open to us as required & ensured very late hospitality. Well done indeed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, England.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Upon arrival at 2.30pm the car park was completely full. I ended up having to park, like some other guests on yellow hashed areas parked for delivery. The spaces are tiny in the main bays and the person arriving in a minibus would of had no chance.

The downside to this, is a £10 overnight parking fee. This I feel isn't acceptable when the car park isn't secure, unlike their competitor the Holiday Inn just up the road which charge less and have security gates.

Check in was swift and polite, but there was no information on breakfast or the times it operated.

My room at first appeared great, however a quick freshen up in the bathroom changed that. I noticed the bathroom door had a big hand print on the door in what looked like blood. It might of been make up, but the colour looked odd. I was given a new room without question, although I had only expected somebody to come and clean it.

The room fixtures and fittings were all excellent. The fridge, iMAC, JBL Sound System, Iron & Board, all above and beyond most hotels. Bed excellent and my second room spotlessly clean.

The breakfast next morning was served until 12 as it happens, but this is what stops me rating the hotel with 5 points. I was seated and served coffee then left, no explanation of help yourself etc. The table had a menu which said to order from your server, who never came back. Being vegetarian and wanting to order from the card I went back to the door and spoke to the lady there and requested some items. I went to the self serve too, but plates were not to be seen, eventually found on a shelf under it. The selections were very meat heavy, no signs of any mushrooms or hash browns which is unusual. The toaster just produced a lot of smoke but didn't toast, nobody could seem to get anything other than warm bread out of it. The fruit bar was practically empty. The cook to order chef had vanished just leaving a frying pan on the ring and wasn't seen. I had to ask a second time for my vegetarian order which then suddenly appeared announced very loudly and abrupt - but to the wrong table. I wasn't offered any further coffee or too see if everything was ok. This was a complete let down.

Overall: Poor breakfast - Poor Parking

For £75 one night B&B+Parking they really need to raise their game as it didn't stack up as good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Clean, functional, well situated for eating options (pubs, restaurants etc) around the nearby waterways. Easy access from M32 and just a short walk from Temple Meads main train station. Pity about £10 overnight parking charge, especially as the car park is open to the road. Thanks for the free internet.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Driver30May
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I picked this hotel without realising where it was - but the hotel location was amazing - so central and easy walking distance of the city. It was really lovely inside - very new, very clean and well equipped. We thought it would be noisy as groups of people were checking in, but the sound proofing was perefect. The breakfast was good and hot. I would certainly recommend this to anybody, and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The garden rooms have a view over the Temple Gardens and are very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anne111uk
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed here with two other colleagues on the Wine & Dine package available on Hotels.com for only £80. We were actually eating elsewhere that evening but asked if we could just have our wine in the bar before we went out. To our amazement we were offered one full bottle of wine/prosecco with each room. We could not believe how good this offer was for the already discounted rate we had for the room! We were also given a selection of starters and nibbles in with the price.

Hotel was being rennovated whilst we were there so smelled a little of paint, but can't grumble at all due to the price we paid!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business