“too noisy and tiny rooms......smallest bathroom in the world?”

Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Stayed here for a sat and sun night recently with my wife as we were celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary. Booked the mint on tripadvisor reviews and price as was only using as a base to help us to explore Bath with a half day exploring Bristol penciled in also.
The location was good for temple meads station which we used to get to Bath and airport bus but a bit of a walk into town. We had previously stayed at the london city inn and liked the contemporary rooms and decent value but this place was way insuperior and i have also been in the bar of the glasgow city inn and again this place didnt seem to match up. I asked for a nice room in advance and we were given only 1 floor up looking out onto the heads of the smokers from the bar so was noisy and was woken at 4am on the sun morning by a stag doo returning. It felt no more than a fresher premier inn to be honest, the noisy fire doors in the corridors also kept us awake. Went for a drink in the hotel du vin on one of the nights and wished we maybe should have opted for there but i know it was a bit more cash but prob worth it. We only got 1 towel changed over even though we left 2 in the shower which was annoying. My wife thought she had ruined her dress from the iron as it kept leaking, i almost burned a shirt as the base had someone elses melted top on it......replace the £3 plastic irons with decent ones!
I liked Bristol & really liked Bath which was a shame as the accomodation didnt match up. If we ever return to this neck of the woods again i think wel opt for a Bath guesthouse

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GrayGlasgow
Write a ReviewReviews (2,250)

Reviewed April 25, 2011

3 months after I had a great stay there I came to do my business expenses and had lost the bill. In an earlier review I singled out the reception team for their good humour and professionalism. Well, I rang them up and asked for a copy. No problem. Within a few minutes - after a bit of sensible and polite security checking - they had emailed it to me. I will always stay there on business if I can. Thank you Annamaria!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2011

This hotel is very clean and modern. Each room is equipped with an IMAC and free wireless. The room is small but nice. The bed was uncomfortable. It's hard to explain but lets just say it has little to no firmness or support. Parking is challenging since there is only a small lot in the front of the hotel and cost is around 10GBP. Breakfast was good but the coffee and toast were very slow to arrive to our table. We had the continental which was around 11GBP. The hotel is only a 10 min walk to the harbor.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I stayed here for one night on Saturday & booked last minute, I got a rate of £44 room only which was excellent value for money (additional £8 for on site parking) the room & bathroom, although on the same small side, were very clean & modern and had everything you'd expect from a good quality chain hotel. It wasn't noisy either as some hotels are in city centres at weekends.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Stayed at the Mint Hotel for one night and am just about to book a couple more nights there for April. Great rooms and fantastic value for money. Modern and clean. iMac TV is a nice touch. It is small but then it's right in the centre of the City. Walking distance from everything. Great reception staff too. Very helpful. Plus plenty of parking spaces which was a bonus. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Mint Hotel Bristol

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights at the end of March for a bed and breakfast birthday break. We arrived by train at Bristol Temple Meads railway station and walked for seven minutes along an easy route to arrive at the hotel.

We arrived early afternoon, before the 15:00 check-in time, yet the very helpful and friendly reception staff checked us in without any fuss. A room at the rear of the hotel was requested, which over looks a small park, as the front rooms overlook a busy dual carriageway. I did get to look around a room on the front of the hotel and noticed that the window was treble glazed, and almost no road noise came through. However, being treble glazed it was not possible to open the window, unlike the opening double glazed ones we had at the rear of the hotel.

The first impression upon entering the room was as to how small the room was, and the shower toilet washroom was the second smallest I have ever seen in a hotel. Yet the washroom worked very well and was a pleasure to use. The toiletries were of a very high standard, being from The White Company. There is no bath, but the shower worked well.. The room had all the usual things you would want, a big safe to fit a laptop into, mini bar, ironing board, iron, hair dryer, coat hangers, and the large bed was very comfortable. The TV was an iMac, which had free access to the internet, with a built in DVD player. The very stylish telephone was by Jacob Jenson, the designer behind many Bang and Olufsen products. We slid the small coffee table under a dressing unit, and pushed one of the two chairs against a window, then the room had more space and was more usable. The air con worked well and was silent unless the fastest fan speed was selected.

Breakfast was very nice with very helpful and friendly staff serving. We were able to eat all that we would want. Fruit juices, cereals, rolls, yoghurts, cheeses, fruits, rolls jams etc, were on offer at tables However, for the cooked breakfast a waiter takes your order from a menu and it is brought out to you soon afterwards. I do prefer a breakfast where you go up and help yourself to hot food from a counter. One bad point is that on both days we had a long delay between between ordering tea and coffee and it arriving on our table. In fact the hot breakfast food came first on both days. It is nice to be able to drink coffee or tea fairly soon after sitting down at a table, and before cooked food arrives.

We did not take dinner in the hotel, so cannot say what it is like. We walked the fifteen minutes or so into town to eat out. At the rear of the hotel is a small park with a ruined church in it, and at the end of the park is a small Italian restaurant called Marcos Olive Branch. We had a very nice midday snack there. Down stairs there are a small number of soft chairs to relax in or upstairs there is a more formal dinning area.

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would return again. It is not a large old sprawling hotel, it is more of a very clean modern, and functional hotel. The good points are; It is close to the train station, shops, and docks area, has free internet use on the room iMac TV, and all staff encountered were very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveller78
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Overall my stay was good, the rooms are nicely fitted and comfortable and for the most part the staff are very pleasant. The only downside of my stay was the feeling that I was being ripped off at dinner. They have a dish of the day - fresh market produce - on one day this was whole plaice - sounds good - when it arrived I was amazed that any fisherman would keep such a small plaice - approx 15cm long and 10cm across. I think it may have been a Dab, not a plaice. This was served with a tiny bowl of salad for £13.50. Extras - such as chips would cost an extra £3.95. My company had booked the room including dinner. I suggest you stay there but eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business