“Good value budget hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #35 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Good value budget hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

The bed was comfortable, the shower effective, the staff welcoming. This is a few minutes walk from the centre of Bristol, and represents great value for money. OK, so the rooms are a little shabby, but if you are staying for one night on business does that matter? If yes, be prepared to pay a lot (and I mean a lot!) more money at better known chain hotels in the city centre. The breakfast arrangements are a little confusing; we paid an extra £5 each on top of the room rates but it was not clear from the breakfast menu to what this entitled us (I ended up with toast and tea). The extra £5 also entitled us to "complimentary" fresh fruit, and tea making facilities in the rooms, a deal that seems to redefine "complimentary". But try finding a café that will provide any sort of breakfast for a fiver, let alone the fresh fruit and tea. If I need to stay overnight in Bristol again, I'll come back here.

Room Tip: Worth paying £5 to have tea making facilities in the room, plus the breakfast
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Clive S
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Following recent feedback we have simplified the breakfast system to one option including a breakfast buffet as well as cooked options should you wish. All our rooms also have complimentary fruit and fresh tea and coffee so I hope you enjoy these again when you return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Droitwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed on Sunday 25th August 2013 as Mum , Dad and baby Molly at 22 months . We stayed in room 22 which was comfortable but we could have done with a bigger space . I asked the reception staff when booking if it was child friendly and was told it was . I asked about parking and we could pre book but could probably get on road FOC parking . I pre booked their own parking provisionally at £6.50 and glad I did . Bristol is one of the hardest cities in the UK to find car parking spaces . We paid £61 for the night , but looks like we could have negotiated cheaper . This is not a Child Friendly hotel as you cannot get a pram or pushchair in easily and coming to think of it , nor a wheelchair . The reception isn't a proper Reception , it 2 people behind a table , who are more like an interview panel . It seemed a shame to disturb them as they give the appearance of been more important than the customers . I asked about help getting our luggage and baby stuff to our room and may well have asked them to organise a moon landing . The corridors are cramped and in need of a makeover with a carpet upgrade . The hotel car park is useful and covered , but as an extension of the hotel , needs the peeling paint on the ceiling repainting and old furniture throwing away . The Tarmac leading to the garage needs resurfacing . The Rack Restaurant is busy unlike the Caffe and has an excellent bar manager from Northern Ireland who recognises a customer when he sees one . We had 2 drinks each with a main course for £38 for myself , wife and baby with the 15% hotel discount . On the Monday morning , we decided not to even ask for a breakfast at reception as it looked like it would be hard work , so onwards to breakfast at Bristol Zoo for a welcome Bacon Butty . The Wifi is obtainable free with a coffee , but they wouldn't serve us a coffee as the coffee machine had just been cleaned . They did provide a nice blanket for our travelling cot when asked . This hotel is for younger weekenders and with a bit of love could sell out with experienced staff . It's seen better days , but could return as it is a surberb location for Clifton and the University .

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Racks and on the first floor . Ask about about the cost of extras and negot...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy all aspects of your stay but glad that you liked the restaurant. The hotel is child friendly in that we welcome children in the hotel, provide roll away beds or cots and games in the café area. The entrance does have a few steps to the front however there are always staff on hand to help carrying bags or push chairs and I am extremely disappointed to hear that you were not helped. I will be addressing the customer service issues with staff working at the time.
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Noisy until the early hours; rooms not up to standard; reserved car parking space occupied by someone else; overcharged for breakfast and refund refused; customer service awful. It seems we overpaid substantially compared to other reviewers. Having emailed a complaint on the day of departure and no reply or acknowledgement received; wrote directly to the Managing Director and 2 weeks on, still no reply. If you are 18 and want a cheap place to stay, probably ok, but otherwise avoid at all costs.

2 Thank PJMB1941
Dear Guest,

We aim to provide comfortable and clean budget accommodation so I am sorry to hear that you feel your room was not up to standard. I am sorry also that another guest parked in your reserved space and that you were overcharged for breakfast. I hope that a refund was not refused and instead that there was some sort of miscommunication. Customer service is an aspect of the hotel we particularly pride ourselves on and often receive complements about. Any letters of any nature received regarding guest experience with us are treated with high regard, as genuine feedback is the best way for us to make positive improvements to the hotel. Please don’t feel yours has been ignored and please do send it again should you wish and I will be happy to respond.

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Leuven, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Personally, I enjoyed my stay here. A lot of the poor reviews are unfair. This is a budget hotel, not a 5*. The location is good, with the city centre a 15min walk downhill. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, too. The hotel's restaurant serves up some pretty good food, though it is a little pricey. I opted for the soup of the day most evenings as it's the cheapest option at £5. The room wasn't exactly spacious but I wasn't expecting a huge room.

My only real criticism is that breakfast was incredibly slow. So slow that I witnessed another visitor get fed up and leave after waiting over 25 minutes. They insist on providing table service. You can't just grab some toast yourself, or some cereal. You have to be seated and ask for what you want. Breakfast only starts at 7am. I arrived for breakfast at 7am each morning, but didn't manage to leave before around 7:40am. If you're here on business and need to be somewhere, it's quite awkward.

The breakfast was good. Expensive though. I had breakfast included in the price of my room and I'd recommend this, else you'll spend a lot more than you'd like to on a fry up. Don't go for the regular fry up; it'll be too small, judging by the size of the large one.

The staff were lovely and very helpful. If I visit Bristol in the future, I'll most likely return to the Clifton Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Clifton and found the location convenient. You will be pleased to hear that following recent feedback on breakfast service we have made a few changes! A buffet table is now present allowing guests to help themselves to drinks and non cooked items with cooked breakfast made to order. We hope that this will improve speed but still offer the same quality food. Please do come back and give it a try!
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Friendly, helpful staff but the hotel itself has seen better days. It will be interesting to see what it's like after the refurb. It was "cheap" so as ever you get what you pay for. Our room was quite big, the beds were clean and comfortable but the carpet was grubby and the bathroom very tired with a horrible shower curtain. Location was great, near Park Street/Whiteladies Road so loads of places walkable. Didn't have any food here as the Lockside Cafe is the place to breakfast if you're in Bristol. Plus loads of good eateries near by.

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear there were so many aspects of the hotel you found pleasing, that you enjoyed the location for your trip to Bristol and that the accommodation was both clean and comfortable. You will be pleased to know that over the next few weeks all of the older carpets in the hotel are being replaced and that over a rolling program we are looking to replace all shower curtains with glass screens.
Nuneaton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Can't believe this was only £25 for the night!

Very friendly service on the front desk. Can't really fault the room. We had a nice double bed, big sash window, TV, kettle, hair drier, fresh loose leaf t&c, bowl of fruit, biscuits, adequet size bathroom. Plenty of pillows, quilts, sheets, blanket.

Decor was a little tired, but for the money, you can't go wrong. Plus I believe they are in the process of refurbishing.

Was a bit worried about noise from the bar, as we were on ground floor. But was perfectly quiet.

Great location, walkable to city centre - but also plenty to do in Clifton area.

Would certainly stay here again if visiting bristol

Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear you took advantage of one of our special offers and were able to enjoy The Clifton at a discounted rate. Thank you for taking the time to review us – as a small and independent business feedback is very important to us.
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Don't be put off by the reviews! The hotel staff were friendly & helpful (especially Nathan) and went out of their way to sort out baggage,taxis, directions and helpful advice. The room was clean & comfortable. Great breakfast sitting outside in the sun with an excellent veggie option. Would definitely visit again. Maybe the decor is a bit tired but the smiley staff & good value for money more than make up for this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Felicity S
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you found the hotel staff (especially Nathan!) so friendly and helpful; we pride ourselves in providing excellent levels of customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy another sunny breakfast should you return to Bristol in the future.