“Building site”

Ranked #35 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Hertfordshire
“Building site”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2008

We stayed at the Clifton Hotel for one night to attend a wedding, and booked from a list given to us by the organisers.
The hotel looks very different from the pictures on their corporate website, in fact when we arrived it was in the process of being renovated by builders and access to reception was through the cellar bar or up steep and narrow outdoor concrete steps. The temporary replacement reception was a guest room that had been commandeered. I guess we were unlucky that all this was going on at the time we arrived, but it is a real shame this wasn't being done many years sooner as it was sorely needed and the hotel was showing obvious signs of severe neglect both outside and inside.
The windows were on the point of falling out and the room was scruffy, everything dented and scratched, and had not had really any attention for a number of years. The room was quite roomy, but the en suite bathroom was tiny.
We were woken up several times in the early hours by other guests passing our room on the way to theirs as we could clearly hear everything outside in the hallway. To be fair to the hotel, they cannot be held responsible for the inconsiderate, drunken behaviour of my fellow British countryfolk, and the staff did give us a room that was on the quiet side of the building, away from the main road and the terraced bar area, as requested.
We had to pay several pounds to put our car in the secure car park which was actually further up the hill from the hotel, and as it held the waste bins from this/another hotel, our car smelt bad on the way home next day. The parking outside the hotel was very tight and it was this or risk getting the car scratched if left outside.
However the staff were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast next day was good.
But if we had seen the hotel in advance, we would not have booked it. On the flipside, I really wonder if any of the other hotels in the Clifton area would have been much better?
I ask this as my experience of hotels in the UK have tended to be quite poor compared to those of continental Europe.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff, and location.
  • Disliked — Condition of hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Oxford, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

I've stayed in this hotel twice in less than a month, and didn't enjoy my stay either time. The first time, I was in Bristol for a week, and was given a room on the ground floor. The rooms are not very well sound proofed, and I could hear lots of noise/shouting/loud TV sounds from the Racks restaurant in the basement. Another night the guests staying above me were very loud and I could hear everything. Made for two very bad night's sleep when all I wanted was a bit of quiet.

The first room I had during my first stay had a faulty TV, so I was moved to another room, however that room had a broken shower. The second time I stayed here we were given a room that stank of smoke so had to be moved.

Considering that this is not a particularly cheap hotel (cost per night £80-£90) I wouldn't stay here again. I'd rather stay in a purpose built hotel building to minimize the sound coming from other rooms, the hallways and the downstairs bar/restaurant. All I really expect from a hotel is to be able to have a comfortable night's sleep and I couldn't do that in this hotel.

• Liked — Good location just off Whiteladies Road
  • Disliked — Noisy and smelly rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Belper, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2008

Stayed at the Clifton for a couple of nights in early February 2008. Yes, the room was a bit small but, then again, so was the price we paid for it. It was clean and well furnished (could have done with a chair rather than a stool but there wasn’t enough room!) as was the en-suite. There was enough light to read by which is not usually the case in hotels.

The major plus about the hotel however was the staff: I have seldom found such helpful and pleasant people in the hotel trade. I should particularly mention the guy on Reception for most of our stay (I really should have found out his name to give him a mention…but he’ll know who he is!) for whom nothing seemed to be too much trouble and his pleasant manner makes all the difference to a stay in a hotel. Oh, and the orchids are unbelievable!

We didn’t find any trouble with noise as mentioned by other reviewers but would agree with them as to how good and convenient the location of the hotel is: Bristol City Centre one way; Clifton the other. Good pubs; good food wherever you go...except at the Sausage place where we were turned away!

The major problem with the hotel and, indeed the whole area, is the parking. There isn’t any! Luckily, we found a space on the opposite corner to the hotel when we arrived and left the car there for our entire stay.

Really enjoyed it and would definitely go back.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bigfozbelper_England
Fredericton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2007

Like most accommodations in the UK, the rooms are small and the bathrooms are positively tiny, but rooms are clean, hotel staff are friendly and helpful, and the hotel, which is ideally located in Bristol's beautiful Clifton district, is within short walking distance of the Broadmead shopping centre and many restaurants, bars, and pubs.
The hotel is also home to Racks, a popular bar and restaurant, which was packed throughout our stay. If you're looking for a quiet hotel this might not be for you, but if you're up for something a little more lively, then the Clifton is a great choice!

• Liked — The great location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — The size of the bathroom
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Manchester, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2007

Having just stayed in an Executive room at the above hotel, I would not advise it. When I stretched out my arms I was touching the walls. The bathroom was smaller than my downstairs toilet at home. When I hovered over the toilet my knees were touching the door. Would not suggest anyone over size 12 trying to access the bathroom. The room was cold and unable to move at all. Ideal if your a Stick Insect.. The guest next door was unbelievably noise - thought he was in the same room as me. The highlight was the breakfast - fry up - superb. This came crashing down when I noticed the dust on the floor and also what appeared to be droppings. Would not advise staying here again.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Bucks, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2007

The Clifton is a Townhouse style Hotel in an excellent location in a sidestreet in the lively Clifton area of Bristol.

The Hotel appears to have been recently refurbished, with a lift (elevator) and WiFi (available for a small extra charge) in all areas.

The reception lounge is bright and attractive and the Receptionist was courteous and efficient. We were requested to provide an imprint of a Credit or Debit card to confirm our room account but I have found this to be normal practice nowadays - we were not charged for the rooms at this time.

Our rooms were perhaps on the small side but were pleasantly decorated, and were provided with the fresh fruit bowl and real tea and coffee mentioned by other reviewers. Our telephone and radio worked! The Bathrooms were small and somewhat old-fashioned but were clean and functional.

There is an attractive Bar-Restaurant in the vaults underneath the Hotel with steps up to a Patio area at the side of the building.

Breakfast is served in this Restaurant (for an extra charge as the
room rate is for room only) and was excellent, highly recommended!

This is a small, individual Hotel that would appeal to travellers who are tired of International clone Hotels.

Recommended.

Plus points: Excellent location, excellent staff, good food and Bar.

Minus points: Rooms small, rooms on the Bar/Patio side of the building may be noisy, poor parking.

• Liked — Location, Staff, Bar/Restaurant, Individuality
  • Disliked — Small rooms, noise, poor parking
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

The reason I booked this hotel was the location. I wanted to be in Clifton and the other options were fully booked. I suppose the hotel has a certain degree of old English charm in a Fawlty Towers kind of way. The reception area was ok and the staff was very friendly. However the two rooms we had were in desperate need of refurbishment and modernisation. One of the rooms was so small that it was impossible to open the wardrobe as the bed was in the way. The TV was actually placed on the floor 20-30 cm from the foot end of the bed. The lock in one of the rooms was a little dodgy and at one point it jammed and we were locked in the room. When trying to call reception, it turned out the phone in the room didn't work. Good thing we had mobile phones! There is a lively bar attached to the hotel, which I remember well from my student days in Bristol. However, the rooms facing this bar (at least in the summer) are extremely noisy as there is a major echo effect. The bar serves perfectly ok pub food.

Basically, if you are in need of a bed in Clifton and you don't mind it being completely run down, it is an ok choice. But value for money it certainly is not!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very run down
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family