“Needs to be renovated”

Ranked #35 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
London, UK
“Needs to be renovated”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel on a busy Saturday night. The hotel was full of stag and hen parties.

Pros:

Check in was very efficient and very friendly. The lobby area quite sweet. The bar downstairs looked nice. Good outside space for drinking, if the sun is shining. Fairly central to Clifton - in the bit which can best be described as shabby chic.

Cons:

The rooms! I had a single room - and it was really tiny (very small single bed). It had a miniscule bathroom which was just a small shower (agree with the comments below about either v hot or freezing cold) and it was more of a trickle than a shower, a loo and a tiny sink. Carpets dirty and bathroom needed to be ripped and replaced. The lift is so slow and inefficient I always took the stairs.

Overall - £58 for essentially a room smaller than most Halls of Residence rooms at the nearby university But the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and cheerful. PLEASE RENOVATE - it could be such a great little hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank London69
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that there were many aspects of your stay you found pleasant, we pride our selves in providing excellent customer service which in our recent AA inspection was thought to be of a 4* level. Also we are pleased to be able to offer both a café and restaurant bar with outside seating and selling freshly prepared food.

You will be pleased to hear that starting on 5th August a refurbishment project will be commencing. This will include new carpets across much of the hotel being installed from the 9th. Should you wish to stay again in the future please do contact me directly and I will be able to ensure you stay in one of our newly refurbished rooms at a discounted price.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel was not vintage (as advertised), it was just plain old. The receptionists seemed helpful enough and the food was good, but that's all the good things i can say.
The shower was either scolding or frezzing cold and the bathroom was very basic and dated.
Al in all massively overpriced for what it can offer. My brother stayed in a hotel across the road that was cheaper and much nicer and cleaner

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us but glad to hear that the staff were helpful and the food was good. It is not usual for us to have issues with shower control and this will be looked into. We also run a rolling refurbishment project with rooms in need constantly being updated alongside bigger projects. Should you wish to stay again in the future please feel free to contact me directly and I can offer you a discounted rate on one of our more recently refurbished rooms.

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My son and I stayed in The Clifton Hotel the 25th June for Bristol Uni open day. the two guys who greeted us made us very welcome. Special thanks to Nathan where nothing was too much trouble. very central to centre of Uni. room was clean and the fresh coffee and fruit a nice surprise. we had a lovely meal in the evening at the attached cafe and the breakfast was fab. We will definitely return if we come back to Bistol.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sazblu
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Clifton and found the staff welcoming and helpful. I hope we can welcome you back in the future should your son choose to study in Bristol.
Aberystwyth
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We arrived at just after midnight after arriving at The Travellodge only to be told that they had overbooked and there was no room for us (even though we had paid two weeks earlier!!). We actually first tried one of The Clifton's sister hotel. They were full but the gentlemen who greeted us rang around to find us room at the Clifton. He was so helpful and reassuring offering to help with our bags/parking etc. Really fantastic service!
We got to The Clifton and the service was equally fabulous. We were booked in, helped to the room - it was just amazing! Both staff (both Gentlemen) were true professionals and just so lovely! (This was on Tuesday 2nd July at about midnight!)The rooms were very clean, quiet and equipped with plenty of tea, coffee etc.
In the morning, after a lovely sleep, we went down to breakfast into a lovely cellar breakfast room. Again, the staff were so lovely and extremely professional. The breakfast was perfect with plenty of choice. We would definitely stay again and would never book travellodge for cheapness - this was much better value because you got breakfast too! Thank you for such a wonderful stay and see you very soon!
Ellyn and Shirley Pyne

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dolphinAberystwyth
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, as a small and independent business feedback is extremely important to us. I am glad you were so happy with the levels f service you received as this is an area in which we pride ourselves. I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to enjoy another good sleep and breakfast.
Colwyn Bay, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Very basic hotel for what you pay..we had wedding rates and these were still too expensive for what you got at this hotel! The room was awful, very basic and in need of a major refurb. On our first night we could hear talking from the room above, snoring and constant squeaking of the floorboards. Did not get any sleep on first night, so asked to be moved...receptionist very accommodating and moved us to another room no problem but have to say this room was worse than the first! peeling paint/wallpaper, very old fashioned furniture and a wardrobe with a full length mirror which you could not see in as you could not open the door fully due to the other furniture being in the way. The only good thing about this hotel was the restaurant..the food was very nice although quite a long wait for it! Parking is a nightmare and would of been helpful if this had been explained upon booking...Also asked to pay for stay upon arrival which I dont agree with. If the other hotels had not been fully booked I would of been out of there on the 2nd day. Never again...!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. We aim to provide comfortable 2 star accommodation at a competitive price, and our recent AA report indicated that we in fact exceeded expectations in many areas. Whilst parking on the streets around the hotel is free and unrestricted it can sometimes be busy, meaning we do advise pre booking the garage we have available for guest use. I am glad that you liked the restaurant and enjoyed the food and also that you found the reception team helpful when needed.
Littlehampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband booked this hotel and, quite honestly, if I had read some of the reviews first I might have dissuaded him and that would have been a great shame! Yes, the room we stayed in was rather down at heel and in need of refurbishment but the rate we got was pretty good: £54 for a Sunday night stay, so I don't think we could complain. The main thing is that the room and accommodation were perfectly clean, quiet and comfortable - the hospitality tray contained fresh fruit, real coffee and a cafetiere which I thought was very impressive for a two star hotel. The reception area is just a simple desk and the first impression was of young people playing at running a hotel - but with good humour, friendliness and efficiency! The café on the ground floor is very pretty with some interesting artwork. The very attractive restaurant is located in the cellars of the lovely old building - the only thing I found disturbing was that there were televisions in each of the spaces and it did have a very pub-like atmosphere but then it is described as a 'bar/restaurant'. We had dinner there and it was so good that we booked in for the excellent value (at £5) breakfast, which offered a wide range of choices and was freshly cooked. The staff could not have been nicer - I was not sure which coffee I wanted and was given a sample to taste - the young waitress also took the time to give me advice on shopping locally and in the city centre. We had parking at no extra charge which is invaluable in a city. The location is great, just a couple of minutes walk from Clifton Village and about 15 minutes from the city centre. Being great fans of quirky style and good service we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us – as a small and independent business feedback is extremely important to us. I am glad you found the accommodation clean and comfortable and the service friendly and efficient; these are all things we pride ourselves on as a hotel. I hope we can welcome you back again in the future to enjoy the location coffee and breakfast!
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Booked a twin room, asked for quiet location and it was. The room and hotel is in need of decorating and updating but for the price for one night was satisfactory. Breakfast was nice, plenty of it and cooked fresh. Staff were helpful

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room