“Lovely little hotel with very helpful staff ...”
Review of The Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #35 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
UK
“Lovely little hotel with very helpful staff ...”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

A business stay for 2 nights, and this little hotel had all that one could need. Smallish room though with both bath and shower; lovely details of fruit and a cafetiere for coffee. Ever helpful staff and very good breakfasts, meals and room service. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, as a small and independant business feedback is extremely important to us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at The Clifton last Friday (8th March 2013) After reading some of the negative comments from other reviewers I must admit I wasnt expecting much. But as soon as I walked into reception I knew I'd made the right choice. I was greeted by friendly staff and made to feel very welcome. I found my single room on the top floor, small but perfectly formed. The bathroom was modern, clean, bright and spacious. But the icing on the cake for me was the welcome tray. Fresh ground coffee with a glass cafetiere, fresh fruit, nice biscuits and agood choice of teas. Not what you usually find in a budget hotel. I popped down to the inviting little coffee shop to enjoy a decent coffee. The cakes on display looked delicious. Later I popped down to the Racks Bar. At seven o clock It was buzzing. I had the best fish pie Ive had in a long time and the atmosphere downstairs was fantastic. Can't wait to return to the Clifton, but next time with my wife.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Clive W
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear that The Clifton exceeded expectations, glad you enjoyed the coffee and fruit and also that you found staff friendly and welcoming. Thank you for taking the time to review us all feedback is much appreciated. I will pass on compliments of the Fish Pie to the Chef and I hope we can welcome you back again in the future!
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had a lovely stay at the Clifton. The staff were really friendly and went out of their way to help me with directions and recommendations. The room was great value for money and perfectly adequate. It was a decent size, clean and had a good bathroom. There was also a brilliant cafe in the hotel where I had some really good cake. I would definitely recommend the Clifton to anyone visiting Bristol.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us - as a small and independant business all feedback is much appreciated. I am glad to hear that our staff exceeded expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with us in Bristol. I would definately have to agree with you on the cake too!
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you are going to Clifton and don't want to be travelling from downtown Bristol then this place is fine.

It is inexpensive and the decor and what not is reflected in the room rate. The room (double) that I had, had a shower curtain on a step in shower tray so the water ran down the inside of the curtain and pooled on the floor. That said I mopped it with their towel so no problem.

This place does have a couple of upsides so I want to mention those. There is a nice bar/restaurant in the basement whih is convenient and nice to have a beer in. Also, the staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful.

In short, it's cheap and cheerful (my double was £91) but a bit rough around the edges.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
We aim to offer pleasant and clean rooms in a central location and at a budget price. That said we run a rolling refurbishment program constantly replacing any areas most in need, especially any areas effecting functionality of a room. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the bar and restaurant and found all staff friendly and helpful.
Pennard, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

A group of 5 of us stayed at the Clifton Hotel last week as we were in the area for a gig in the O2 Academy.
At £41 per room, we weren't expecting much in the way of quality. The rooms were a bit tired and could do with a bit of updating, but it was roomy, clean and comfy. The power shower was great too. What was impressive was the cafe/bar area and super friendly staff. The coffee was good and the decor was eclectic and quirky. We decided to pay an extra £7 for breakfast, which I must say was excellent and one of the best hotel breakfasts I've had in sometime with handmade sausages, good quality bacon and unlimited fresh coffee or tea. Fab.
An ideal base for visiting Clifton and we would definitely return.
Ps. The towel art was pretty impressive too!

1 Thank cargriff
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Bristol and would choose to stay with us in the future. Thank you for taking the time to review us and I will pass on your breakfast compliments to the chef!
Koroni, Greece
Reviewed February 8, 2013

27 of us had an excellent stay at the Clifton last weekend. The location is great, the staff all very helpful and the rooms are clean. A decent bar and restaurant downstairs and overall, absolutely ideal for a night or two in Bristol.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Im glad you (and the other 26!) ejoyed visiting Bristol and found The Clifton, and Racks Bar below an ideal base for your trip. Thank you for taking the time to review us, as a small and independant business feedback is very important to us, and I hope we see you again in the future.
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We booked for 1 night on a chilly Feb eve.We've used Racks Bar underneath the hotel but never stayed so a little apprehensive of noise.Our small but really tidy room was on the opp side to the bar so no noise or worries.The room really ok with tea/coffee etc.The shower was pretty good with clean towels and the bed was excellent.The hotel is a little tatty in places but hey that's no problem.The staff we met were really friendly and helpful.We would definetly use this hotel again when we are back in Bristol.Just a thought though..never paid upfront before in a hotel??? Is this company policy??

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Im glad you enjoyed your time with us at The Clifton and found the staff friendly and the room clean and pleasant. It is company policy to take payment for the first night on arrival. It means you can charge to your room from the restaurant and makes check out quicker in the morning when it can often get busy!