“Great stay”
Review of The Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had a full night out planned and due to torrential weather stayed put! Chose the Clifton as it accepts dogs and believe me, we have one fussy boxer! She was well at home after 5mins which made it very easy to visit the great bar downstairs and have a really enjoyable night. Rooms aren't huge, shower a shame but had comfortable stay and the staff so friendly. Hope to stay again soon and venture out but happy knowing we could stay put!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, as a small independent business feedback is extremely important for us. I am glad to hear our staff made both you and your dog feel welcome and look forward to having you stay again in the future. I am sorry to hear you found the shower disappointing, and hope that next time we can make every area of your stay perfect!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed for one night following a christmas party. Single room, tidy and clean just what was described and for only £36.00 cannot complain at all. I must confess to being slightly worried about what the room would be like following some of the more negative reviews but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Overall good value for money and friendly staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

I hope you enjoyed your Christmas party! Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am glad to hear that you found the staff friendly and the room tidy, clean and up to expectations.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed 2 nights and were generally very satisfied with what was on offer. Staff were very pleasant and the girls on breakfast duty were delightful. The room was fine, very clean as was the bathroom; the paintwork was a bit chipped and marked in places so some decorating would not go amiss but we saw a painter at work downstairs so maybe this problem is being addressed. Breakfast was very good. Only minor downside was that parking is very difficult in St Pauls Road outside but that is not the hotel`s fault. Location is excellent, about 10 minutes walk to Clifton and slightly more to central Bristol. We were slightly surprised that payment is required on arrival but we happily complied. We have read some very critical comments of this hotel which we find hard to understand; you get what you pay for in this life so, if some of these critics demand so much, maybe they should be willing to pay a lot more to satisfy their requirements.

1  Thank Simon R
Jess M, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. As a small and independent business feed back is extremely important to us. We have garage parking available for guests to help with the local parking issues so should you stay again in the future let us know if you would like to use this. I am glad that you found the room clean and enjoyed the location for visiting Bristol.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I had to anandon my car to enquire in the hotel where the parking was. To my horror it was an unsecure garage block, very poorly lit and tight spaces. when I got to my room I was amazed at how small the room was, the carpet was threadbare the walls scuffed and paintwork shabby. The chair in the room was so filthy I didn't want to sit on it! I immediately rang reception asking to be moved, the check in girl said she was busy with check-in and would call me back within half an hour. so I waited and waited and after an hour I rang back and she said sorry she had forgot! after another half an hour I went down to reception to sort it out. I was giving an alternative room which had new carpet, no chair but was a lot fresher. I was originally in room 25 and given room 45. Then I went to have a shower no hot water! Eventually came through at a trickle! Then I went to get dry, and realising I had left the towel on the bed, in fact it looked like a dead swan! Towel
Art should be left in package holiday hotels! the room was cold as the radiator was not on despite me trying to turn the thermostat, and the windows so old and drafty and noisy! All in all a terrible hotel that promises so much on the website. Very very disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank AJCBristol

Dear Guest,

I am sorry you were not happy with the parking available, as with much of Bristol Clifton has parking issues, and we find that the garage spaces suit many of our guests needs.

Thank you for highlighting the issues with the room you stayed in. We operate a rolling refurbishment program with the rooms most in need being constantly updated and improved. You will be pleased to hear that we have just ordered carpet for many of our rooms and that Room 25 is top of this list.

I am sorry also that your problems were not dealt with by reception in the manor I would hope, and following your review all front of house staff have been retrained on the importance of making sure all guests needs are met.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Tired decoration especially the bathroom. For some reason they don't mention that they have a limited underground carpark (£6.50) on the web site which is important for this type of location. Appalling breakfast: no choice on the menu(i.e. only set meals), sausages incredibly small (two sausages are the size of one!), charged extra for a glass of orange juice! Bad value really wish I’d got breakfast somewhere else. Charging for the internet (£4/day) and car parking raises the price of the room, this is getting like bloody Ryan air, hope the trend doesn’t continue.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay. We have a rolling refurbishment project in place with the most in need rooms being constantly updated and improved. I have passed on your comments to the restaurant regarding the breakfast and am sorry you felt there was not enough choice. With breakfast as with the hotel charging for extras allows us to provide a more budget stay for those who don’t need them, and I am sorry that this wasn’t suited to your needs.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We decided to stay at the Clifton Hotel as the website looked good and it seemed like good value for money. However.....we had booked an executive double and on arrival were directed to this. The room was tiny and was so shabby. The carpet was bare in places, the wallpaper was peeling off the walls and the window frame was mouldy. One of the towels had dirty marks on it, the bath was filthy and no-one had bothered to fill the shampoo/body wash dispenser. There was also no fridge as there was suppoed to be in an "executive" room. As I'm pregnant and was feeling very unwell, we decided to go with it for that night and sort it out in the morning. I had a shower the next morning and upon stepping out, realised that the shower leaked very badly, the bathroom floor was flooded and I went flying. That was the last straw and we decided to complain.
The gentleman on reception was quite helpful (although when I pointed out that there was no fridge in the room, his response was "oh yes, that room doesn't") and was able to find us another room and the staff moved all our belongings for us while we were out.
Our second room, although in a considerably better state of repair was still very small. There was no hot water in the morning for a shower but by that point, we just wanted to leave. When we went to check out, the receptionist checked our bill and informed us that we had 2 breakfasts to pay for as well. As we didn't eat there at all, this didn't do much to improve our opinion of the hotel.

In conclusion, we would not stay at the Clifton again and were very disappointed with our stay there. The rooms are tiny and need an awful lot of work doing on them, the staff didn't seem too bothered about anything and the website needs updating to correctly reflect what the accomodation is like!!

Dear Guest,

I am disappointed to hear that your stay at The Clifton did not meet expectations and would like to apologise for all the issues you experiences.

I am disappointed to hear than you found areas of your room unclean. In general we have excellent feedback in this area and systems in place to ensure issues such as you encountered are avoided.

We have a rolling refurbishment project in place with the rooms most in need being constantly refreshed and following the issues highlighted your room will be made a priority. We are also completely refurbishing several rooms starting in January, and should you wish to stay again please contact me directly and I will ensure a reduced rate in one of these rooms.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I only stayed for 1 night and firstly it's in a great location for the Clifton area and a lovely coffee shop and bar below the hotel. The rooms are a bit tatty and the worst thing was there was no hot water in the morning. I'm not sure if this was a one off problem but it was impossible to have a shower the next morning. The staff tried their best to help, we tried different rooms but no hot water anywhere. This was a terrible problem and I'm glad I was only staying one night. I would stay again if I could be guaranteed hot water.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

I would like firstly to apologise for the lack of hot water during your stay. This should not have happened as we have several boilers meaning if one fails there should still be others providing hot water. I am sorry that this was not effective in your case and would like to reassure you that this is not a common issue. I am glad that you enjoyed the location for visiting Bristol and also the café, bar and restaurant.