“Friendly staff, great location”
Review of The Clifton Hotel

The Clifton Hotel
Ranked #35 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff, great location”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Easy for Clifton, Whiteladies and a stroll into the city centre (but get the bus back up the hill!).
Hotel was pleasant. Gorgeous old building but in need of renovation but this is planned for this year...
Comfy mattress, swan shaped towel, fresh fruit and caffitiere in the room! Impressive for a 2* hotel!
Reception desk is odd - just seems to be a random table in the corner. They need a proper desk!
It has a carpark in Clifton! If you've ever tried to park in Clifton, this is a amazing. I've literally spent hours before trying to park, so really appreciate the car park which is just slightly down the street.

Room Tip: Not the same side as the Racks bar (run by a different company, so the hotel can't control the n...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
CliftonHotelManager, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear womanonamission,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at the Clifton Hotel. As you are probably aware with the current media focus on trip advisor our online reviews are extremely important to independent hotels. We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and just to let you know we are currently investigating different options to make our reception desks more 'user friendly' to our guests. I've also passed the feedback on on our towel swans to the room attendent team, they are are always coming up with new designs so it's nice to hear you liked the swans.

Rachael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Maidenhead, UK
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I am not sure that I would ever go back again. The fire alarm went very early in the morning, stopped and then rang continuously. No staff came to check the rooms, guests were not organised or even ticked off. In fact, no one seemed sure what to do. The breakfast was a Fawlty Towers experience - you were allowed to choose anything on the left hand side of the menu, but toast was extra. Only partly redeemed by good coffee shop.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CarolA,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on our service. All our feedback is really important as we are then able to make changes for our future guests. I'm really to sorry to hear that there were some problems with your stay and I just wanted to write and let you know how we have addressed them.

1) Fire Drill. We do a fire drill every week to make sure that our fire alarms are working well. This should be done around midday and every in-house guest phoned to warn of the situation and told that they don't need to leave the rooms as it is just a test for the alarms and staff. I'm really sorry this hasn't happened and we have added to the reception log specific instructions to 'phone every guest before testing.' It should also only be tested for 2 rings so I'm really sorry it went on longer and have again spoken to all the reception team about this.

2) I'm also really sorry you found the breakfast to be disorganised, several other people also commented that they found it difficult to understand. Therefore, we have reprinted all our menus and updated our online descriptions to make sure that it is clearer for all our guests in the future. We really hope that this will make breakfast a better experience for everyone.

I do hope that you visit us again in the future so you can see these changes in action.

london
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed in a single room, which was small - as you might expect, but very clean with some nice touches (eg cafetiere and fresh coffee or fresh tea leaves). The fittings were out-dated, but that didn't really matter. I found it good value for the price and really well located for the University and Clifton village. The bar is very popular with local professionals and had a good buzzy atmosphere. Breakfast service was disappointing as the staff were hopelessly disorganised (although very pleasant), with what seemed like long waits for coffee, juice, and surrounding tables were not being cleared promptly. I think this hotel would benefit from a buffet so that we could help ourselves to juice, cereals, fresh fruit etc and therefore less dependant on the serving staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Minibreaker89,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay at the Clifton Hotel. I'm really glad to hear that you feel we offered good value for money. I wanted to also let you know that given your feedback and the feedback of others we have made quite a few changes to our breakfast service. They were implemented about two weeks ago now and from our current guest feedback everyone seems much happier.

Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2012

If I could give this no stars I would.

Not sure where to start, perhaps the goods points..

Racks - restaurant, the food was lovely, very good portions and very tasty! The staff in the evenings were also lovely and couldn't do enough for their customers.

There was a supply of fruit left in the room, nice touch.

Onto the rest of it....

The room - I should have known what it was going to be like when the lock on the door was loose - the walls of the room were stained with I know not what, the ceiling had obviously suffered water damage and hadn't been repaired, one corner of the wall had been badly scuffed and not repaired, the loo roll holder was a spike on the wall (what's that all about?) all in all It felt dingy and dirty.
On check out the receptionist didn't even look me in the eye, so I had no chance to complain. So I will be doing so by email.

The photos the hotel use on their website are no longer valid, I have no idea when they were taken, but it sure wasn't recently!!! The website also states there is parking, I could find no evidence of this and certainly wasn't offered it.

So if you are used to staying in flea pits, I am sure you might find this acceptable!

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Debs H
, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
I cannot apologise enough to the reviewer that they clearly had such a disappointing stay at the Clifton. It is clear from the comments about the room that there were issues which should have been sorted out before the reviewer stayed and it is perfectly understandable for them to have felt so let down. Since reading this review I have checked the room and got our maintenance team to resolve all the problems as reported. With regards to the reaction of the receptionist on the check-out I am very disappointed to hear that they did not engage with the reviewer in the correct way. We have just made some changes to the personel of the reception team and I would not expect similar problems to happen again. Finally with regards to the parking, I can assure both the reviewer and future guests that we do have secure parking available. That the reviewer was not offered this facility is an oversight on our part and again I have addressed this to the reception team to ensure every guest is informed about the option. I would like to state that the Clifton is in no way a flea pit, and whilst mistakes may have been made in this instance I can assure future guests that this is certainly not typical of the standard of the rooms in the hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Cornwall
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Bedroom tiny ans so hot virtually impossible to sleep. Window tiny and noisy all night from street below. Staff were efficient and courteous. Needs complete overhaul. Until then there are too many great hotels in Bristol for anyone to have to stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
I am very sorry that the reviewer had such a poor night's sleep whilst at the Clifton due to the heat in the room. I am not sure if the reviewer asked the reception for a fan as this is something we are certainly happy to provide in the absence of air conditioning. I am pleased to report that the hotel will be undergoing an extensive refurbishment in the next few months but until then I would like to assure any future guests that all of our rooms to conform to the 2* status which the AA have given us and indeed in our last report we were given one of the highest merit scores of all 2*s in Bristol. I am, however, glad that the reviewer found the reception staff to be so friendly and courteous and I will certainly pass on these comments to them.
Edinburgh
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I travelled from Edinburgh to Bristol on a work trip and needed somewhere to stay on a budget for a couple of nights. This hotel fitted the bill perfectly. Located in the Clifton area of Bristol it is well located with good transport links to the centre of the city. The main plus points about my stay were the value, the customer service, and the friendly atmosphere you don't often get at larger hotel chains. I phoned ahead from the airport and was given good directions about the best way to reach the hotel (I took a bus, but a taxi was also recommended). I was staying mid-week and noise levels were fine, as was the cleanliness of rooms. All-in-all a great stay. Thanks!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Clara S
, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
I am delighted to read that the reviewer enjoyed such a positive and welcoming experience during their stay at the Clifton. For the huge numbers of guests who have similarly positive experiences the overwhelming feedback we receive is that the atmosphere we generate here is so welcoming, friendly and unique, so it is great to hear affirmation of that from the reviewer.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Clifton soon.

The Clifton Hotel Team
Co. Limerick
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Room wasnt much bigger than the tiny bathroom. It was sweltering hot and the window was the only form of air conditioning. It was extremely noisy all night and couldnt sleep with the uncomfortable heat and the noise outside on the street with late night revellers. One of the recepotionists was very chatty and friendly and very efficient and helpful but the other girl was totally disinterested in guests or what the job entailed and was gruff, unfriendly and unwelcoming.

Room Tip: Avoid this establishment if you can at all - not at all good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at The Clifton Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Following the reviewer's comments I would like to express my sincerest aplogies that they had such a disappointing stay. It can be difficult when it is warm weather as the hotel is in an old building that isn't air conditioned but the receptionist should have been able to provide a fan in this instance so I am sorry if this was not offered or delivered. I would also adivse that if there are issues with persistent noise from outside then guests should contact the night porter who will be able to try and quieten down the offenders. Finally with regards to the receptionist who gave such poor service I can only apologise that this happened. I would like to assure the reviewer that we have changed the personel on the reception team now and I am fully confident that if the reviewer were to return they would receive consistently excellent service throughout their stay.