“Family stay”

Travelodge Bristol Central
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Friendly service, clean hotel. Well positioned just a couple of minutes walk from Millenium Square. Our first room was hot (no aircon) and we didn't want the window open due to the noise from the college fans next door (room 327 I think). We moved rooms for our second night and had a much better sleep.

Breakfast area is small and really busy at 8am

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Stayed for a weekend and got a good weekend rate with breakfast included. But the breakfast was limited - what there was, was well cooked if somewhat disorganised at times. Very small breakfast area so pot luck to get a seat if very busy. I agree with other reviewers that the rooms are very hot but we were provided with a fan which did keep the night temp. comfortable. Position was great as it is so close to the city centre but the car parking is pricey. I would use it again at the rate I paid for the weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank harrysafari
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Upon arriving I discovered, ( from booking) a parking charge was due and that added over £30 to the cost of the stay, the room we had was next door to the laundry so we had to choose between ventilation and sleep as the laundry arrived at 6am each day (It was very hot in July). The hotel bar only had canned beer and no draught at all. Communication with the staff was difficult as none of the staff we met had English as primary language. The cleaning staff were very pleasant and helpful although communicating was difficult.

Room Tip: All family rooms are together so don't book a family room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2014

It's average, it's what you expect from a Travelodge. Though I don't think it is as nice as their competitor (i.e. 1b1s) across the road.

I clearly have different definition of a Twin room to Travelodge too. What I usually expect is 2 beds of equal sizes. At Travelodge it's a double bed and a tiny camper-bed, which appears shorter than the double bed and much much harder. Also the fact it's put against a wall means the sleeper does not need an alarm clock. Oh no, all you need to do is toss and turn in bed (as you normally do) then SMACK! your head against the wall - Now you are fully awake!

Room has sound-proofing issues, noises travel through the walls ever so well.

No free parking, and after a heavy shower (which happens a lot in UK), the parking floods and we had to park in a massive puddle.

Shower is adequate.

And finally, I have to say this, and please keep in mind this is purely personal opinion: I did not like being asked by the manager as I left, to leave a nice review on Tripadvisor. So was she assuming I would leave a nasty review? Did she expect my experience staying was going to be bad from the start? either way, if the room, service etc are good enough, they can expect customers to leave good review so fact she had to ask to leave nice review left me feeling dubious.

Room Tip: Don't bother asking for Twin room, unless you want to sleep in a tiny hard bed against a wall in...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

A friend and I stayed in a pleasant room, clean and relatively spacious for what we needed. It is in a good location for the harbour. The room was unbearably hot with the window open it was extremely noisy which you expect on a main road, however, the heat meant we needed it open.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Myself, my disabled wife, our daughter and her boyfriend spent two nights here at the beginning of August. My wife and I occupied a room suited to disabled while our daughter and boyfriend occupied a standard double room. Both rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. The disabled room had a fitted bathroom which was very large and well equipped for a wheelchair user. There was easy access to the hotel for the wheelchair and the lifts functioned well.
The breakfasts and evening meals were much better than what we have found in the past for economy priced hotels. Parking was fine.
The staff were outstanding. Someone was always available and they were very helpful at all times.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2014

This hotel was clean cheap and comfy and in a really convenient part of Bristol of tourists. The room was small and ferociously hot (it was during the heatwave) hardly dented by the fan provided. The parking was convenient and reasonably priced but as a public car park it is pretty chancy as whether there will be spaces - they cannot be reserved. The staff are very thoughtful and pleasant - they put out jugs of iced water in the foyer. We can't say we enjoyed our stay... but that was the heat!!

Room Tip: See if you can get one at the back away from Anchor Road which is very busy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple