“Excellent value in central Bristol”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I chose the hotel as the cheapest hotel in central Bristol that I could find. I was delighted with the hotel; the staff were friendly but professional, the room was clean and the full English breakfast was very good. The only minor negatives were that the room was too small to have an armchair, the free wifi for booking online was capped at 500MB, the parking was not guaranteed (even if you had paid for it), and it was very difficult to get into the car park (I scratched my car). But for the price and location it was excellent value, and there was a TV in the room and plentiful tea and coffee.

Room Tip: Arrive early if you wish to park in the hotel car park!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear JulianT,

Thank you for your very positive review of the Washington after your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and have passed on your feedback to the teams involved.

I am very sorry that you scratched your car getting into the car park. Unfortunately we have very little control over who parks at the back of our property, and they can sometimes cause problems if they park too closely to our gate. Luckily, there are plans afoot to amend the parking restrictions on Sunderland place, so I am hopeful that things will improve in good time!

You mentioned wifi useage was capped at 500mb free. This is due to our 'fair usage policy' which we operate to ensure that every guest gets the benefit of the fast wifi we have available.

I am also very pleased that you made full use of our well stocked hospitality tray!

Many thanks - we hope to see you back here in the future.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

A good place to stay if you don't mind a small single room. The breakfast service was really good and the receptionist on the day was lovely. Check-in and check-out time are really convenient. Would probably stay there if I visited Bristol again. :)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Dear DaFrenchFaerie,

Thank you for reviewing the Washington after your recent stay. My team and I were very pleased to hear that you would return to stay with us and that you enjoyed your visit.

As a Grade 2 listed building that was originally 4 townhouses, we have rooms of all shapes and sizes. If having a larger room is your preference, please do give us a call and we will do our very best to ensure that you get one! Making your booking with us directly can ensure that we find the best room for your stay.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

we stayed for two nights staff very friendly, breakfast was good and tasty, the room was tired and the bed could do with up grade as was very hard, but it was clean cosy tea and coffee and fruit, would stay again if they up grade beds, great location but could do with bus timetable ,

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Jackienpiglet,

Thank you very much for your kind review of the Washington. The whole team here were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the beds and bus timetables. You will be pleased to hear that I have a delivery of beds arriving in just 2 days time and that we have a replacement programme in place thereafter. The mattresses we buy are all 1000 pocket sprung and are very comfortable (I had to test them to be sure!). I have also ensured that my team are comfortable using the bus timetable that we have access to on the computers.

I do hope we will see you at the Washington again shortly.

Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Well my husband & I were brought tickets to see a group at Colston Hall. We booked into the washington as it seemed ok. We thought for what we were paying we going to get a nice room. We payed just under £100. This was supposed to be a nice treat for us as we haven't been away for about 2 yrs. Our daughter brought the tickets for Xmas. The reception staff were polite & friendly. They gave us our keys & said we had free WIFI (WOW). Then we enter our room & this is where we get our title of this review. The washington hotel is a period building BUT we are talking George Washington back in the 17th century cos that was the last time it was decorated. If you want to go to the washington & you want to stay there for the night save your money & sleep in bristol bus station because it's cleaner & more modern. If you do decide to go good luck.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Kinqueen1,

Thank you for your review of the Washington. I was very sorry to hear that you didn' t enjoy your stay with us and thought that we were very out of date. I was, however, pleased to hear that you were happy with the service you received over the course of your stay.

We are a Grade 2 listed Edwardian building which is graded as a 3 star Guest House by the AA. Our decor reflects our grading (which is approximately on par with a 2 star Hotel). We are, of course, always improving the product we have with regular painting, new beds and new curtains etc. We are, however, quite large so it does take some time to get around to all rooms as we are very busy.

I have had a look into your reservation and can see that you made the reservation only a few days preceeding your arrival. Our rates at the Guest house operate like the airlines in that as you get nearer to the arrival date and as we fill up our rooms, the price for remaining rooms goes up. We have some great special offer rates available if you book in advance - these present excellent value for money.

I realise that you may not want to revisit the Washington, but I would urge you to do so as your experience is not typical. We do not like any guest to leave with the feeling that they wished they had booked elsewhere, so if you decide to return, please contact me directly and I will personally ensure that you get one of our nicer rooms.

Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I don't know if I am being fair giving this place a poor rating as my friends in the room opposite us would probably give it average but there room locked!
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was nice when we actually got to sit down for it, the breakfast room is very small for the amount of guests and there was a continuos wait outside the breakfast room - which happened to be outside our room. The rooms are dated but specious enough if u are there for a short trip. Our main issue was the lock on our door, went out for something to eat just after we arrived, and it took us ages to be able to lock the door from the outside. When we got back we realised we couldn't lock it from the inside. We told reception they initially said they couldn't get anyone out but there was a room in their sister hotel but only for 2 of us and we had travelled as a 4, So that wasn't an option for us. They did actually send a maintenance guy round to sort it. He turned up and was there about 30 mins saying it was fixed. It was only when we went to go out at 9pm we realised it was not fixed. We put our valuables in our friends room, told reception and hoped for the best. That night we had to put a chair up against the door to ensure no one came is while we were sleeping.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Ruth G,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay.

Firstly let me apologise wholeheartedly for the problems you experienced during your stay. It is always unfortunate when we experience maintenance problems over the weekend (when we are generally full so have very limited places to move guests to alternative rooms). That is, however, our issue and the problems you had have highlighted weaknesses that a) should have been sorted before you arrived and b) have prompted me to clarify with my team what to do in the event anything like this happens again.

We do have a maintenance team on call over the weekend for any problems that may crop up, but I had a very new receptionist on duty that weekend and this simply slipped her mind. My more experienced team member then called them out to look at your lock and we were assured that it had been fixed. I have addressed this with the Property Development manager as they should have checked it was fixed before leaving the site. I realise that this situation was in no way acceptable, but want to reassure you that it will not happen again.

Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and breakfast in particular - they were gratefully received by the team. I am sorry you found it difficult to find a table on Sunday morning. Unfortunately this is our busiest day in breakfast and we are, as you pointed out, limited on space (sadly as a Grade 2 listed building, we are limited as to what we can do to improve this problem). I am, however, putting up a 'traffic light' sign that will serve to warn guests when our peak times are in the breakfast room so that we can divert people to other times if they are flexible.

Once again - many thanks for your review - it will be used constructively to improve our service. I am really very sorry that this problem affected your stay.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I spent only one night at the hotel. I had a single room which had everything you might need - tea, coffee, biscuits and fruit. The bed was comfortable and the shower room a reasonable size.
The staff were very friendly and couldn't have been more helpful.
I wanted to be near the Clifton area, this hotel is perfectly placed for Clifton, and for just £6 I was able to park my car for the duration of my visit - parking is a nightmare in Bristol so this was very useful.
All in all, a very conveniently located hotel with very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Jane F,

Thank you very much for your kind review of the Washington - it always put a smile on our faces to receive such positive feedback from our guests!

As you pointed out in your review, the Washington is in a great location to use as a base from which to explore the Clifton or city centre. Parking is tricky up here (as with most unrestricted and free areas as they are overused by commuters who like to park free and walk to work!) but our car park (available at just £6 per night) is always there for piece of mind should our guests require it.

I am particularly pleased at your comments on service as we had a newish team working for us over the weekend - so I will be able to give them a well earned pat on the back!

I do hope we will be seeing you at the Washington again in the future.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We were originally a party of 6 going to be over at the hotel, however had to change to a party of 5 last minute. However the Washington were very understanding and accommodating of our needs. The room was simple but comfortable and breakfast was very nice. Overall we had a lovely stay and thank you for looking after my friends and me.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Anjimy,

Thank you very much for your review of the Washington - my team were thrilled to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay so much!

I do sincerely hope that should any of you visit Bristol again, we would be your first stop for accommodation.