“Fantastic staff doing their best in a tired hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
“Fantastic staff doing their best in a tired hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We arrived at midnight having been in touch in advance to reserve a parking space - unfortunately when we got there another guest had parked across two spaces. The night staff were really helpful, and found us a space outside the hotel for the night (they did offer to try and contact the guest and get them to move their car, but we decided it was just easier to deal with it the next day). The next day we got into our reserved space with no problems.

All the staff were lovely and helpful with anything we needed. We were in and out of the hotel and no matter how many times we walked past the reception they smiled and said hello.

The hotel is tired - saying that, the room was comfortable and very clean, but the shower leaked at the tap connection so we used a hand towel to stop it flooding the bathroom. It could do with a refurbishment - but if it did I'd also expect the cost of a B&B stay to go up by at least 50% - for what we paid I wouldn't have expected anything more.

Breakfast was great, again the staff were very helpful.

If you're looking for somewhere to stay without the bells and whistles - but that is clean, friendly and comfortable, then I would recommend The Washington.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear UKandbeyond,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Washington as a small Guest House, feedback of any nature is vital to us so that we can improve.

I'm really very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and also that you found the staff to be so accommodating and friendly - this is an area into which we put a lot of training, so it is great to hear that it is paying off. I'm sure they will appreciate this feedback when I discuss it in our meeting later.

With regards to the refurbishment of the Guest House, I can assure you that we are always working to improve for future guests. Just yesterday a room was reopened for sale having been painted and had new curtains. We also have new carpet going in next month in a lot of rooms. My team and I really enjoy upgrading the rooms and seeing the effect it has on our guests afterwards. I am sorry your shower leaked - I have asked my property development team to take a look at it so that future guests are not affected.

I do sincerely hope that next time you are in Bristol you will stay with us again. I would like to encourage you to book with us directly as this way we can ensure you go into one of our newly refurbished rooms so you can experience them for yourself!

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in a double ensuite room on the receptions level. Reception and breakfast staff were suberb, nothing was to much trouble for them. Loved the fresh ground coffee, loose tea, fresh fruit and biscuits in our room. Our car was in the secure parking at rear. Loved the crisp white sheets and blanket with more blankets and pillows in the wardrobe. The only fault was our net curtain had a tear in it where I assume some one had caught it trying to open the window. In fact an all round great stay

• Stayed October 2013
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Christines06,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay. The whole team here was very pleased you had enjoyed your stay with us. I am also really happy that you enjoyed our hospitality tray in the room - it is one of the elements that we hope sets us apart from our more branded competitors!

I'm sorry your net curtain was ripped in your room - unfortunatly we have seen a bit of a spate of this happening so I've had to order quite a few more! You'll be very pleased ot hear that the first delivery arrived today so we are on our way to correcting that problem!

I do hope we will see you here again in the near future.
Llanelli, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I stated there in October 2013 on a trip to the theatre. The hotel is situated not far from the City Centre but very close to the University area (which may or may not be an advantage depending on your requirements). The receptionist greeted us with a genuine welcome and gave us our room key. We went up to the first floor (no lift so travel light) and opened the door to Room 25. My heart sank as I looked into the room and saw a full length net curtain with a massive rip across almost the full width that even my mending-manic wife would have consigned to the rubbish bin. On a second glance it seemed totally out of place. The room was small but well appointed with the personal touch normally only found at much larger (and much more expensive) establishments. A nice personalised welcome letter from the manager was on the desk giving details of the facilities; there was fresh fruit provided and the beverage selection offered much more than the usual tea bag & coffee sachets. There was even a cafetiere provided with good quality loose leaf tea and freshly ground coffee to use in it together with some very morish hot chocolate.

There was a small flat-screen TV and the bed was most comfortable. Real sheets and blankets too!! The room had a small but accessible balcony and overlooked the street below. Considering the proximity to student life the road was not noisy at all and we had no problem in leaving the window open a little as the room was a little warm for us with no thermostatic valve on the radiator to turn it down.

The breakfast room in the basement was not particularly large so if you stay at a busy time I'd recommend getting down early for breakfast if you want to avoid a wait. The food itself was very good with a reasonable selection of cereals etc and a properly cooked full English. One nice touch is a weekly special on the breakfast menu (ours was French Toast with Orange Compote) which is not something you would expect to see in a smallish establishment.

Overall I'd recommend this as a decent place to stay but if they had only taken care of those little details I'd have been giving 5 stars. Anyway my wife says she wants to stay there again next time we are in Bristol so who am I to argue!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Tomvox,

Thank you so much for your kind review of the Washington - I am thrilled that you found so many aspects of your stay exceeded your expectations. I will be giving this feedback to the team in our meeting this week where I am sure it will be gratefully received!

I am very sorry that the net curtain was so badly torn in your room. A new one is on order at the moment (should arrive within the next few days) - I appreciate this is too late for your stay, or for that much needed positive first impression though. It is very difficult for us to keep spares of such items as all our rooms are so individual and even though the windows may look the same size/height on the outside, I can assure you they are not (that is a mistake I have made before!).

You will also be pleased to hear that the room you stayed in last week is actually being painted this week so with a new lick of paint and new net curtains, I'm sure you'll find it would get the 5 stars next time!

I am very pleased that you will be staying with us again and look forward to your visit. Please do let us know if you would like to stay in that same room, or if you would like to sample another for comparison!

Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

So I got this room at a really good rate (£56) a couple of weeks before travelling to Bristol for an evening concert at Colston Hall. TBH was not expecting very much at that sort of rate, but was pleasantly surprised to find nice first storey room overlooking street below, with descent flat screen telly and crisp clean linen on bed. Did not have an en suite loo, but shared bathroon was only about 10 feet away and was clean an excellently presented. Fortunately other guests using it had treated it with respect as well. The usual tea/coffee making stuff was better than your usual average with the offer of some fresh milk from reception if you couldn’t tolerate the long life stuff. Spent a cosy night with what can only be described as a 5 star breakfast thrown in free next morning. Plus it was served by a particularly pleasant Italian lady ( I think) who was charming and chatty. Would definitely book this facility again for a convenient and well placed city break in Bristol.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 83JohnO
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear 83JohnO,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay which I was delighted to hear was such a positive experience!

As a small independent Guest House, feedback such as yours is vital if we are to continue to improve our product for future guests. I was particularly thrilled that you picked up on some of the touches that we hope sets us apart from our big chain competitors within Bristol such as the great hospitality tray and our fabulous breakfast!

As you pointed out, we are in a great location for Colston Hall and indeed many other of Bristol's theatres and tourist sites - in fact we often have package deals with these places to mean you get an even better price on your room! Something to look out for in the future maybe.

Once again, thank you for your kind comments - the team will be thrilled. I do hope we see you here again soon.

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at the Washington for two nights on the 12th&13th October for my daughters wedding at Bristol zoo on the Sunday. We were in room 21in the basement which to be honest we found quite poor. It was gloomy and the bathroom had rising damp and discoloured grouting and was altogether in need of updating and decoration. It only looked out onto stone steps and a dirty wooden door. There were 2 mirrors in the room neither of which had a light above them which made getting ready for the wedding a bit more difficult and when the wardrobe was full of clothes the door wouldn't close as it was so shallow. the corridors were narrow and winding and there was no lift making it difficult to negotiate with a heavy suitcase. On the plus side all the staff were friendly and attentive and the receptionists in particular were helpful and knowledgeable. The breakfast was varied , plentiful and tasty . We would only really consider staying here again if it had a complete refurb.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back and no higher than first floor are good for less street noise and negotiating stai...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Maureen M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Washington. I do hop you enjoyed your daughter's wedding!

I am so sorry that you were disappointed by the standard of the room you stayed in over that weekend. I have been to have a look at the room in question (though it wasn't room 21), and agree that there is some work to do to bring it up to standard. I have arranged a meeting with my property development manager to see what we can do to effect these changes quickly.

I am, however, delighted that you were happy with the quality of breakfast and the service you received from the members of staff working over that weekend. I shall pass on this feedback to the teams in our meetings this week.

We are always working to improve the standard of accommodation and overall guest experience at the Washington so your feedback is very valuable and I can assure you is listened to. I do hope that you would give us another go as I feel you would find that our newly refurbished rooms are of a far better standard.

Cirencester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at the Washington on Monday night(7th Oct 2013), as we were in town to see Laura Mvula play at the o2 academy. We were in room 71 which is in the basement of the hotel, a room which really needs to be given the next stage of work urgently and you really wouldn't want to be taller than ourselves at 5ft 6inchs as the bathroom has a very low ceiling, but saying that with modernizing and painting would be a great cave like wet room.

The staff were wonderful and very efficient and we really did feel welcome and the fresh fruit and loose leaf tea in the room was a real bonus having flown in that day as well we really enjoyed a much missed English cuppa. So i have to say thank you to all the staff at the Washington and we will be coming back again and like the other reviewers have stated look forward to seeing it transform from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan over the coming months/year.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one of the newly refurbished rooms?
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear HJG2011,

Thank you for your kind review of the Washington after your stay on Monday and I hope you enjoyed the concert!

I am really pleased that you found the staff to be so friendly and helpful - I will pass this feedback onto them in our presentation today. Feedback like yours is what the team thrive on so it has been a nice present on a busy Friday!

With regards to your comments about the decor and upgrading the Guest House, I can assure you that we do use all feedback to improve our product and do have some exciting projects on the way to help the rooms in the next 3 months. It is fair to say, however, that Room 71, with it's location on the lower ground floor, is not a room for tall guests. As a listed, converted townhouse, all of our rooms are individual and characterful. We are always happy to move guests if they are not totally happy with the room on offer.

Once again, thank you for your review and I hope we will see you again at the Washington when you return to Bristol.