“Good location, helpful staff”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
“Good location, helpful staff”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I would recommend The Washington if you want to be based near Clifton Village or Whiteladies Rd. Yes, the rooms are a little dated (although my bathroom had been modernised) but it was very clean. The staff were helpful and the breakfast very good. If street sounds are a problem ask for a room at the back of the property. This applies also to street lighting which was a problem in my room as the curtains were very light so my room never got dark. I would definitely book again if I find myself back in Bristol.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Pem25
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Pem25,

I am so pleased to hear that you would return to the Washington when next in Bristol. The Washington is indeed in a great location for most of the Bristol sites or as a good place to base yourself if working as it is away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre.

We are constantly updating the rooms at the Washington (as you experienced with your new bathroom) and have exciting plans for the next quarter with more carpet and painting happening!

I have passed your comments about the staff and breakfast onto the teams involved where the feedback was gratefully received.

Joanna Tiernay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

the recptionists were super friendly and helpful. Very convenient location in Clifton, nice comfy bed, solo trip for me to see the Gromits Unleashed at end of August.
Cosy hotel, great choices for breakfast- room was a bit small but was very quiet so got very good sleep x
Competitive rates- not far from Clifton suspension bridge or Bristol Zoo- I walkd to both from here.

They could do with re-painting the rooms to cheer it up, but overall great little hotel which i would recommend to anyone staying in Bristol. Nice restaurant 2 doors up from hotel which is part of their chain and you get a % off meal price if staying at The Washington

Room Tip: All rooms good
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JoannaKing69
Dear JoannaKing69,

Thank you for placing a review of the Washington after your recent stay - I do hope you enjoyed the Gromits Unleashed exhibition!

Thank you for your comments about the Washington and, in particular, the staff. We put a lot of emphasis into training so it is very encouraging to hear our hard work is paying off!

As a listed building our rooms have a lot of character. In addition to this, they do vary in size. We are more than happy on reception to allocate rooms that are larger or in a particular location to ensure that all guests are happy with their stay.

We are very lucky to be in such a great location in Bristol. Clifton is by far the nicest area to stay in and with Clifton Village and the City Centre both only a maximum of 15 mins walk away, we are ideally placed to see most of Bristol.

I do sincerely hope that we will see you at the Washington again in the near future.

Cork, Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel is such a welcoming and cosy place. The receptionists are so friendly and helpful, and will go out of their way to help you. Stayed in 2 different rooms, the second was better than the first but it was because I was put in a smoking room first (which is fine for smokers but if you don't smoke the smell does settle slightly in the room. Not very noticeable, but better to ask for a non smoking room). Rooms have lovely with little jars of hot chocolate, loose tea and coffee and a little coffee plunger. They also have a selection of herbal and normal teas and leave fresh fruit and nice biscuits in the room. Just nice little touches that make your room more homely. The decor is old fashioned, but in a nice way- it feels like a home. The rooms without an en suite are cheaper, and I actually preferred my room without an en suite. The shared bathroom is lovely and clean and definitely well maintained so don't worry if you have to share. The hotel is also about a 10 minute walk to the centre of everything, but has a bus stop right across the road too if you don't want to walk. You'e really close to attractions like the art museum, the zoo and the suspension bridge. I can't fault it really apart from the slightly saggy bed. Probably not great if you have a bad back, but I had a lovely, comfortable stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing out onto St Paul's road, its a lovely view. Also, the hotel doesn't ha...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DanielleM7777777
Dear DanielleM7777777,

Thank you so much for your kind review of the Washington. The team and I are thrilled that you found the Washington to be such a homely place to stay - it is something that we try to convey to guests so it is really pleasing to hear that it is working.

I would like to reiterate that we are a non-smoking establishment. I'm sorry if your room smelled of smoke - we do our best to ensure that people abide by our rules, but very occasionally we are disappointed when guests do not. I'm sorry this marred your stay.

We have a very successful and organised bed replacement programme here - in fact we have just received a delivery of 4 more single beds to replace older models. All our beds are now being replaced with 1000 pocket sprung mattresses that are of a very good quality. So bad backs will, hopefully, be a thing of the past!

Once again, thank you for your honest review - we do appreciate all feedback and to hear that a guest enjoyed their stay is the most rewarding type!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I share the opinions of my Tripadvisor colleagues Chloe B, and Kev E, The Washington is a little drab and dated, and the rooms could be much improved. Having said all that you will go a long way to find a more convenient location for Bristol night-life. The staff are friendly, and the rates are competitive. My wife and I travelled with our dog so it is likely that the room provided was not the most palatial but it was clean and comfortable.
The Washington goes back to the 1960-1970's and has no resemblance to the likes of the Premier Inn etc., But if your demands are not exacting and you need a room for a short time then this may well fit the bill. Would I stay again? yes I would. Would I take my mistress - No
Big Down side - No Evening restaurant or Bar.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank terry s
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear "Terry S",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington - all feedback is valuable to us and is used to improve our service for future guests.

I am pleased that, in general, your stay at the Washington was a positive one! I'm sorry that you found our lack of bar/restaurant to be a let down - we are a Guest House and not a hotel, so do not offer this facility. We do, however, have a great restaurant at our sister hotel just 40 metres away where Washington guests do get a 15% discount when dining. I always think this means we get the benefit of a restaurant without any of the noise associated with one!

We are working hard at the Washington to update our facilities and decor. It is an ongoing project but I can assure you that all feedback gets used to choose what is most important to tackle.

I do hope that we will see you back at the Washington in the near future.

Kent
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We chose the Washington for it's location and purely down to the fact that other hotels were fully booked for the night we required. We booked in for a nights stay after moving my daughter to the area and were greeted by extremely friendly staff on arrival who were very helpful. The rooms are basic and do need a lick of paint. The breakfast and staff were excellent, although again the breakfast room does need a bit of TLC! We paid £70 for the night which isn't bad but I do think you will get more for your money by paying a bit more at another hotel but we just needed somewhere to put our head down so it did the job. Also, our rooms were in the basement next to the breakfast room and so there was quite a lot of noise early in the morning. So, don't expect a lot as it is pretty basic but the staff really done it for us, they were great.

Room Tip: Avoid the 2 rooms in the basement if you want a lay in!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kev E
Dear "Kev E",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay.

I am thrilled that you found the staff made your stay - I have passed this feedback onto all concerned where it was received warmly! We work hard on the service side of our business so I'm very pleased to hear it is paying off!

We have a rolling refurbishment at the Washington to address some of the areas you thought needed a bit of TLC. It is a tricky project as we are often full due to our fair rates and great breakfast! I do hope you would consider picking us first on your next trip to Bristol - it is my hope that you would see an improvement on your last visit.

As a final note, we are always very happy to allocate rooms away from the more noisy areas should guests wish to sleep in!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This hotel was fine for us for one night. £70 isn't exactly cheap for a 2star hotel to be honest, and charging you for parking is pretty bad, when its not stated beforehand to you.
Rooms were clean, biscuits and hot drinks available were a nice touch and they were free also. A,l in all, I would stay again if we were in bristol. Our lock broke in the evening unfortunately, but they were very apologetic and on the case straight away. It was a nice little b&b and the full English was good too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Shropshire, UK
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Booked an overnight stay here for a few reasons - 1, we were due to dine at River Cottage Canteen which isn't far up Whiteladies Road. 2, it was super cheap and as we were only going to need the room for 10 ish hours, wasn't totally bothered by mixed reviews.
Got the no. 9 bus from Temple meds station which dropped us within a 5 minute walk from the hotel (city centre is a good 20 minute walk, train station a lot further). Outside, appearances are in need of a tidy up but reception was bright, airy and clean. We were greeted with a warm welcome and checked in swiftly. Breakfast and check out times were explained and we went to our ground floor room, a few paces away from the reception area - Room 10. The room was an excellent size and very light. The décor is dated but it was clean. The net curtains were ripped in places and patched up with sellotape...this I didn't like. The fruit basket was a small bowl containing 2 apples and an orange, a nice touch but don't advertise it as something it isn't! Tea/coffee/biscuits etc were all fine. The room was hot (but it was a hot day in mid aug) so we opened the large sash window (which was unlockable due to broken lock...also didn't like this as we were ground floor and had laptop in room). The ensuite bathroom was clean but basic...a chip on the toilet seat and a chip on the enamel of the bath. The shower was functional, that's the only way I could describe it!
When we left to go out, we had to leave our key. I have issues with this. How do I know that someone isn't going to walk into the hotel, ask for my room key and go and help themselves to my belongings? When we returned, sure enough a different girl was on the desk...she hadn't seen us before so how did she know we were really staying in room 10...maybe it's just me but I felt glad we had hidden our laptop very safely!!
A reasonably good nights sleep was followed by an excellent breakfast. Service was efficient and welcoming with a choice of cereals, fruit, yogurt, juices and pastries and then cooked items to choose from...I ate far too much but was set up for the day!
We checked out within seconds and came away reasonably happy. We'd only paid £45 for B&B on Laterooms so we weren't expecting the Ritz so for the money it was fine, just touch up those little things that can make all the difference.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room facing the car park which had no noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple