“budget hotel in good location”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We recently stayed at the Washington for 2 nights. On entering the hotel my heart sank as in the reception area chatting to the receptionist were 2 young men - one shirtless with tattoos the other with a stag weekend shirt on. However the friendly receptionist assured me their rooms were nowhere near mine and to be fair to the whole party (there were quite a few!) they were very well behaved and polite and we only ever saw and heard them at breakfast. Our room was small - the double bed seemed on the small size - and as most other reviewers have said could have done with some refurbishing - the radiator would not switch off and the window was not easy to open and once opened you got the street noise - but the bathroom was fine and there was fruit as well as tea/coffee making facilities and biscuits in the room. The location was excellent - within walking distance of Clifton village and the cafes and bars on Whiteladies Road/Clifton Triangle, on the bus routes into the city centre yet fairly quiet. There are no lifts and breakfast is in the basement so not sure how less able bodied people would manage. The staff are very helpful and polite, the hotel is clean, breakfast is good (though the vegetarian sausage turned out to be a vegetable finger!) and for a city hotel the price is excellent.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems there is no lift so choose room carefully.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SarahNorthumberland
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear "SarahNorthumberland",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington - as an independent Guest House, all feed back is very valuable to us.

I'm very pleased to hear that you found my team to be polite and helpful - customer service is something we work very hard to keep top notch! I am also pleased that you were not disturbed by our other guests on the weekend you stayed - we do occasionally have larger groups staying and find that, on the whole, they are well behaved (my team are well versed in how to handle situations where they are not!).

We are a listed building so installing a lift is not possible for us, but we serve a room service breakfast if guests would prefer and will always assist those who find the stairs to be a little steep. I have, you will be pleased to hear, redone our breakfast menus to make clear that our Vegetarian sausage is less of a sausage and more of a finger (as you mention in your review). We find them to be very popular.

Once again, thank you for your review and I do hope we will see you again when you are next in Bristol.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Like stepping back into the 1970, but without any of the retro. Just a run down, shabby dump with pealing plywood partitions, stained and grimy of bathroom fittings and tiny noisy rooms.

If it had been £30 a night this would have been forgivable. But at the prices they charge, it is severely sub-standard.

I'll be amazed if this place remains open for much longer. But if it does - avoid it!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear "ManoAmport",

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us recently. All the team at the Washington work very hard to ensure that guests have a good stay with us so feedback like this not good to hear.

We have invested heavily in the Washington in the last few years with new bathrooms, carpet, TVs, beds etc to improve the look of the rooms here - I am confident that we are listening to guests' wishes and addressing the areas that are most in demand. Indeed we have a very high occupancy rate here and a good return on our in house comment cards which have shown a significant improvement in our decor scores in the last few months. I would challenge your view that it is like stepping back into the 1970's.

The Washington has been very successful over the last few years - with a significant amount of our profits being ploughed back in to improve it for future guests. I am very proud of what we have achieved and look forward the coming years and further improvements.

It is clear to me that your expectations wer not met in your recent stay - I would like to hear more information from you on why this was so would urge you to contact me directly on joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel looks worn out, the canopy is covered in green gunk. Reception is smart and the staff are friendly, but that's all the good things about this hotel. My friend and I stayed in a family room, which was dated. Worn carpets, aging wooden desk, awful bathroom suite in a pistachio colour, dirty toilet (due to age), a chipped cup, and a bed and mattress that was so old it felt like I was sleeping on the base, giving me a sore back and very little sleep. This may be a budget hotel, but there is no excuse for such low standards!!!!!!
I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BristolTeacher
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear "BristolTeacher",

I am very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the Washington.

I have discussed the issues you raised with my House Manager and she has held a meeting with her team to discuss why the chipped mug was not found prior to your stay - I agree with you that such things are not acceptable and I would like to apologise for this drop in standards.

I would also like to say sorry for the quality of the beds in your room. We do have an ongoing refurbishment project at the Washington so beds/bedding etc are being replaced on a regular basis - we have seen a massive improvement this year in the quality of the rooms and I am confident that we are addressing the problems that should you revisit the Washington, you would find it a much changed Guest House.

The awning at the front is due for cleaning, but has been delayed until the weather improves as I do not want to have to do it twice since it will involve a certain amount of disruption at the front of the building. I'm sorry that this did not give you the best first impression of the hotel.

I would like to offer you a discounted rate on one of the rooms that we have recently refurbished, so if you do decide you would give us another go then please contact me directly on joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Reception polite and helpful when talking via phone and in person. Single En-suite Room on 3rd floor at back of building was clean, tidy and I slept well. Shower/bath was perfectly satisfactory, but would probably disappoint anyone wanting a power shower and a more modern or period style bathroom. Decor and some fittings could do with updating, including fitting of door seal to main room door to minimise airborne noise - I was fortunate to be at the end of corridor, so did not get disturbed by any inconsiderate people (i.e. grunty thumper types, virtually unavoidable at value end of market) going past my room. The Full English Breakfast and service is hard to beat, so takes my personal overall rating from good to very good.

[Further information]: Choice based on location, price and reputation for great breakfast included. Not being a fan of premier grim and general high occupancy block value, I typically tend to stay in B&B/guesthouses with more character and live in an older georgian building, so I have an appreciation of older properties/issues that they suffer from.

Room Tip: Decide what is important to you look and what is on offer and make an informed choice.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jh3001
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear "Justin H",

Thank you very much for your kind and honest review of the Washington! I am very pleased that you found us to be good value for money.

I have passed on your comments regarding the service to the teams involved where it was gratefully received.

We do have a rolling refurbishment at the Washington which we hope will address the shower power issue that you mentioned in your review.

Should you find yourself around Bristol again, I do hope that we would be your choice of location again!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Decided to have a weekend break away and chose Bristol as have family in the area. This hotel was cheapest so we decided to stay there. I'm glad we did as we loved it! Yes, the rooms are a little dated, but we did see evidence of improvements going on whilst we were there. Our breakfast was included and was delicious and varied. Reception were, without question, friendly and knowledgeable about the area (though our family acted as our tourist guide for the weekend). Would we stay again? Yes we would - we paid £56 per night including breakfast and had a lovely room that was quiet and clean (though our preference would be for duvets rather than sheets) - I would highly recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJPBaytown
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear "SJPBaytown",

Many thanks for placing a review of the Washington - as a small independent Guest House, every review is welcomed!

I am delighted that you had such a positive stay with us and that you would return when next in Bristol. There are some great family orientated events on over the Summer which I would recommend highly.

I have passed on your kind feedback to the rest of the team.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Walking up to the hotel their is a red cover sheltering the entrance, the top of this was thick with green algae, warning number one!

Reception staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you.

On walking towards my room the hallways were in very poor shape, marks all over the walls, paintwork covering the woodwork dull and in areas dirty. Carpets filthy throughout the corridors and the stairways were even more shocking too.

On opening my room I was confronted with a stain on the carpet as large as a dinner plate. Stains on both covers for the beds too. Bathroom switch, above tiling over the sink, mirror edges thick with dust, never seen a clean. Bath facia rotting due to continuos leaks from the shower screen, this had seeped into the bathroom flooring too.
Bathroom over due maintenance, well overdue.

Bed was comfortable, pillows ok too, under the covers thankfully clean, slept well, a positive.

Fun trying to shower with a trickle of water that sometimes improved once pressure was available.

Breakfast
We ordered a "full" english breakfast. This came with 1 x saussage, 1/2 a small grilled tomatoe, a tablespoon of beans, 2 mushrooms cut into tiny pieces 2 x rashers of bacon (this was correct), pleased I didn't order a child's portion!!

For me its clear that when you see the AA 3 stars standard displayed on the wall and in the literature this is just a con. AA need to step up and start auditing hotels and ensure that customers like myself are not duped in presuming that having 3 stars will guarantee you a reasonable quality establishment.

Shame really because the staff and customers deserved better. Clearly the Clifton Group are siphoning all of the profits for the shareholders and are not reinvesting to keep the hotel as advertised at an AA 3 Star standard.

Room Tip: Call the AA and see if they've given them a warning to The Washington and ask them to clean up
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Manny B
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear "Manny B",

Thank you for your review of the Washington. I am pleased that you found the staff to be so friendly and helpful - I have passed on this feedback to them all.

You do mention a couple of things in your review that I would like to address if I may.

The Washington is a 3 Star Guest House - not hotel. This is an important distinction to make as it does make quite a lot of difference to the general standard of the building. Unfortunately the AA reworked their rating system and changed the old 'diamond' Guest House rating to a 'star' system - this has obviously led to confusion. A 3 Star Guest House is about on par with a 2 star hotel. We do not advertise ourselves as a 3 star hotel as we do not want to mislead our guests in any way. I'm sorry if you were expecting a 3 star hotel when you arrived. In our most recent AA inspection we received high marks within our 3 Star Guest House bracket with comments on the improvements the inspector had seen since his previous visit in terms of our decor.

We do have an extensive rolling refurbishment underway at the Washington - with TVs, beds, carpet, painting, curtains etc (the whole works) being replaced as needed and when time permits. We have an in house comment card system and track our results on a weekly basis - the improvement in these has been staggering over the last year. I want future guests to be assured that any profit that is made in the Washington is ploughed straight back in to improving our product - I am proud of what we have achieved here in the last year or so.

I would like to defend the breakfast team slightly regarding your comments, however. As a Guest House, breakfast is included in the rate of the vast majority of our guests (or is available for just £5 pp if not). For this price guests can have a bowl of cereal, selection of fruits, yoghurts, croissant, ham & cheese and then a full English breakfast if they would like! There is, of course, unlimited toast and tea/coffee in addition to this. My breakfast supervisor and myself have spent a lot of time researching the options offered in other hotels/local restaurants and I am 100% confident that the breakfast you receive at the Washington is the best value we can provide. We have a lot of guests who stay with us for long periods of time - this breakfast system was designed to offer maximum flexibility to all. We also offer a 'weekly special' at no extra charge - our recent offering of French toast with bacon and maple syrup has proved very popular with the masses!

I do feel that your expectations of the Washington were, perhaps, higher than we could have delivered given our AA rating, but would like to offer you a discount on one of our newly updated rooms so you can see the changes we are making and what a typical Washington guest experience is all about. Please contact me directly to arrange this on joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com

Reviewed March 24, 2013

me and a friend stayed at this hotel last night as we had travelled to meet some friends in clifton. from the pictures of the hotel I was confident it would be a nice place to stay...... we arrived and were greeted by a very professional young lady who handed us the keys to our room (6) on the ground floor or the basement as we named it... the room was very small and dated, the ceiling was cracked and peeling, curtains not clean, carpets shabby and dated bathroom suit, one of the beds was positioned next to the window which we had to stuff our towels into to try and stop the cold coming in. I did not go back to reception about the room as I was already running late and just tried to get past the state of the room as it was 'just a bed to sleep in'. now I was not expecting the ritz and the hotel has a lovely appearance from the outside but after the freezing uncomfortable nights 'sleep' I just feel that people and the management are aware that room 6 is NOT a nice room. I use hotels on a regular basis and I certainly would not rate this hotel ( based on our room ) as a 3 ★

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank MrsH0716
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear "Charmaine W",

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay at the Washington and to hear that this marred your visit to Bristol. It is real shame that you did not go back up to reception to mention your reservations regarding your room as we do our best to resolve any issues there and then and can often find alternative rooms that would suit better. It is always our goal for people to leave wishing they had booked to stay longer!

You do mention that you would not class us as 3 Star. We are a 3 star Guest house, not hotel, which is an important distinction to make. Unfortunately the AA rebranded all Guest Houses as 'star' rated rather than 'diamond' rated (which made it easy to see the difference between the hotel and Guest Houses). A 3 star Guest House is about on a par with a 2 star Hotel. We recently had our AA inspection carried out and were awarded very high marks (the inspector having viewed a few rooms) within our star rating.

As a Grade 2 listed building, all of our rooms vary in size and, due to our rolling refurbishment, decor. It is fair to say that room 6 is not one that we have recorated recently. That said, the rooms are all cleaned to a high standard, with bedspreads and curtains cleaned on a regular basis so I am confident that, whilst the decor may have been dated, it was clean and ready for guest use. I have scheduled a meeting with my House Manager when she returns from holiday to see what we can do to improve that particular room in light of the problems you had.

I would like to offer you a discount on one of our newly redecorated rooms when you next stay in Bristol - it is my hope that you would see that this experience of the Washington is far from typical. Please contact me directly on joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com to make this booking.