“A real mixed bag”

Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Wells, United Kingdom
“A real mixed bag”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

The good:

Location
Friendly, lovely receptionist
Powerful shower
Coffee, tea, hot choc, biscuits and fruit in room
Wife found the bed very comfortable

The bad:

Random sticky patch on floor (which I found barefoot!)
Noise (room 12 best avoided as too close to reception. We heard loud people in reception late at night)
Heating has one setting regardless of the radiator thermostat. HOT!
Window wouldnt stay open
Light right outside window (and no way to shut it out at 3am)
No way to turn the lights off from the bed - switch by the door only
Lightbulb above one bed not working and receptionist unable to give us a new one

Overall it's in a good location and cheap for the area. It wasn't as comfortable a stay as we'd have hoped for. Our sleep was really poor due to a combination of the the heat, noise and light. We mentioned this to the nice receptionist who seemed genuinely sorry to hear it.

• Stayed March 2013
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear "IanRamsden",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington. I'm really sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your recent stay.

I have been into the room you stayed in to look at the problems you commented on in your review. The window had, unfortunately, suffered a broken sash which we have now had repaired - i'm sorry this was not discovered prior to your stay. I also checked all the light switches worked and can confirm I was able to turn off all the lights from the bed? I'm sorry if these weren't obvious (they are located just by the bedside tables in the middle of the beds). I have also spoken to my House Manager, Anna, about the overall cleanliness in the room and the issues you raised.

I'm afraid the light is one from the street at the back of the Guest House so is not within our control, but you will be pleased to hear that I have earmarked new blackout curtains for room 12 to solve this problem for future guests.

Thank you for pointing out the positive aspects of your stay - I am very pleased that you noticed the small touches in the room that, we hope, sets us apart from the chain hotels in Bristol.

I do hope that, should you return to Bristol, you would consider staying at the Washington again. I would like to offer you a discounted rate on one of our nicer rooms if you choose to do this.

Joanna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed in the washington for one night whilst visiting a friend in bristol. Room was great, very clean, lots of tea and coffee with a nice clean kettle. Clean towels, nice powerful warm shower with showergel. Very quiet at night time and slept very well. Bed linen was clean and smelt fresh. Beds very comfortable. Good 24 hour service from the friendly staff, always there when we needed them, with a phone in our room linked to the front desk. Would definitely stay again. Got £5 off our next purchase. Hotel very cheap, only £25 for both of us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katoe S
Dear "Katoe S",

Thank you so much for your kind comments about your recent stay at the Washington. The whole team here are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and will return when you next visit Bristol.

You stayed on one of our 'special offer advance purchase rates' which as you pointed out are very good value. I would recommend that anyone booking more than 40 days in advance call us directly to check on availablity of these rates as they are a popular offer!

Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights, while attending a course in Bristol. There was a special discount for staying 4 nights or longer. The hotel rooms are all different, and I was changed from a basement room to one on the 3rd floor, as neither the lights nor heating worked properly in the first room. The second room was small but comfortable although the curtains could be replaced as they were rather worn (and there is a bright orange street light just outside the window, so black-out curtains would help.) The fresh fruit and coffee were very welcome (although they are not replaced daily.) The staff were all extremely friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. Breakfasts were good, and there is an excellent pub on the next corner where you get a discount for staying at The Washington. All in all, a very good experience and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Parking on the street is limited, so it is recommended that you pay a small fee for parking in the l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DMBL
Dear "DMBL",

Thank you for reviewing the Washington after your recent stay - as an independent Guest House, all review are important to us.

I'm really pleased that you found the guest house to be good value for money - this is something that we hope our guests feel and is certainly something we strive to achieve!

I'm sorry that your initial room was not up to scratch but am happy that my team were able to find you a more suitable room for the duration of your stay.

I do hope that we will see you again soon!

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A really comfortable bed and a warm room in very cold weather. Liked the little touches - bowl of fruit, leaf tea and ground coffee with cafetiere, and a nice hot towel rail in the bathroom. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was delicious.

Room Tip: If you are elderly and arthritic make sure they don't put you in room 49.. It was fine for me, b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mary M
Dear "Mary M",

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay - I have passed them onto the teams involved and they are thrilled.

I am really very pleased that you had such a good stay with us and hope that we will see you again when you next visit Bristol.

Puerto de la Cruz, Spain
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights recently. Nice quiet location. We love Clifton. Hotel was very comfortable and clean. Staff kind and friendly. Good buffet breakfast with a cooked breakfast of your choice, cooked to order.

Room Tip: No lift, so if you have problems with mobility, like my husband, get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dizzychem
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear "dizzychem",

Thank you so much for your kind review of the Washington. Myself and my team are really thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will return when you are next in the Bristol area.

Alcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Basic hotel in Clifton area of Bristol. Dated rooms, very difficult to find a parking spot. Shower was difficult to control temperature. Cheap hotel. Staff were friendly and efficient. Breakfast okay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear "William H",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington - we really appreciate it when we receive feedback.

I am sorry that you found it difficult to control the shower temperature in your room - we do regular checks on all our showers so I would be interested in which room you stayed in? (joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com).

As you pointed out in your review, finding parking is tricky at times in the Clifton area. We do, however, have an onsite car park for £6 per night that our guests can make use of. I'm sorry if this information was not accurately conveyed to you on booking or check in.

Thank you for your comments regarding the staff here - I have passed on your kind comments and they were warmly received.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Booked for 1 night for a business trip to Bristol and this hotel worked out fine. I was looking for low cost, with breakfast in a decent area. The room was a bit tired and the bathroom was small but everything was clean and there was tea/coffee making plus fruit in the room. Breakfast room was nice and you could get a full English although I stuck with cereals and toast. For a holiday or longer stay I would have gone a little more up market but for a one night stopover this served the purpose.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear "Cake_yum",

I was very pleased to hear that you found the Washington to meet your expectations in your recent review and would like to thank you for taking the time to voice your thoughts on Tripadvisor.

The Washington aims to provide the best value accommodation in Bristol and hope that we are on the right track with this goal! We are responding to guests' comments about our decor with a rolling refurbishment - just last month we replaced 8 mattresses and many bedspreads.

There are also exciting new plans for our breakfast team as we hope to bring in a 'seasonal' breakfast menu for those who would like something a bit different from the normal offerings.

I hope that you would return to the Washington when you are next here on business so that we have the chance to exceed your expectations next time!