“Old but clean”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Solihull, England
“Old but clean”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just an overnight stay but would return as it fulfilled my requirements. my single room was basic but clean. Bed clothes spotless and ironed sheets.Bathroom across the landing was clean and had a good shower with nice hot water.Breakfast was excellent. A good variety and well cooked and presented.Only draw back is parking in the street... not good, but they have that covered with a secure carpark at the back of the hotel for six pounds per night... well worth it.Will be back

Room Tip: If in doubt see it first
3 Thank KenSolihull_England
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear "KenSolihull_England",

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Washington on Tripadvisor - constructive feedback is always welcome here.

I am delighted that you felt your overnight visit to us was good value for money and that you were happy with the cleanliness of the Washington - these are both things we put a lot of effort into. As you point out, we are an old building and your tip of 'view before if unsure' is something we are more than happy to do for any future guest.

I do hope that we will see you at the Washington again should you return to Bristol.
Joanna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Swindon
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I regularly stay in Bristol for work and since I have to pay for it myself I often stay at The Washington because it is excellent value for money. The staff are always very friendly, polite and helpful. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable, with a few little extras like a cafetiere and biscuits that cheer you up when away from home! The location is good for Clifton and the city centre. I would reccomend this hotel.

1 Thank Robert M
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear "Robert M",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington. I am thrilled that you have picked up all the little things that we hope make a difference to our regular guests - it is very satisfying to hear that they do!

I shall pass your kind comments regarding the staff on to the rest of the team. I hope we will see you back at the Washington in the coming weeks.

Leicester, England
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and had breakfast on the second day. On first sight the hotel does look a bit scruffy, we came in from the car park at the back, however staff on reception were very welcoming and helpful. We were in room 47 which is on the 3rd floor which is a bit of a climb, room was OK, a bit small and facing the road which meant it was a bit noisy at times. In the room there was fresh fruit and fresh tea and coffee which was nice. Water in the bath was plentiful and hot and tv reception was fine. Heating was a bit strange, it appeared to go off in the middle of the night and then come back on in the morning, which meant you got a bit cold in the early hours.
Breakfast was very good, excellent service and one of the few hotels to offer a vegetarian full English as standard, coffee refilled as often as you needed.
We asked for an early morning call on the first morning which didn't happen, person on reception was apologetic, said he had set it to go off but didn't know why it hadn't
Overall would I stay again ?, probably yes but it would depend on the price. We booked it through two different methods, the one way we paid £54 for a nights bed and breakfast which was good value, the second we paid £66 for just bed which certainly wasn't good value.
Parking on the road is difficult, there is a car park at the back of the hotel which costs £6 and can be a bit cramped.

Room Tip: Suggest you get a room at the back to avoid street noise
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear "awizzbang",

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Washington in this forum - as a small independant Guest House, all feedback is very important to us.

I am pleased that you found the Washington to be better than your first impression of it and that you enjoyed some of the 'added extras' in the room that, I think, sets us apart from the large chain hotels that dominate Bristol.

We have a rolling refurbishment ongoing at the Washington so I am confident that any decor issues that you may have referred to in your review will be addressed in due course - indeed, my House Manager and I have a weekly meeting to discuss such things.

I just wanted to address one thing about the rates you paid with us - which I can appreciate seemed a bit odd! Our rates vary a lot depending on availability. Initially you only booked for the Saturday night, and booked a room only rate online. You then added the Friday night - which at the time of booking was quite quiet so better rates were available - since you called the Washington directly for this booking, you were able to receive a better rate on a B&B basis. Any future guests are able to make enquiries direct from this forum so would be able to offer more 'normal' rates!

I sincerely hope that we will see you in Bristol at the Washington again.
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We visited this very basic hotel on a business trip. Our en-suite had been shoe horned into the room and to use the WC necessitated riding sidesaddle . As it was snowing outside and our radiator needed bleeding, we requested that the maintenance man attend to carry out this very simple task. Day two and no sign of the man although we were told that he had been (which probably accounts for the state of the decor and an ill-fitting toilet seat). In the end, the Receptionist gave me a radiator key and I did the job myself! We also requested a clean bath towel as the apology of one we were given was wafer thin and wet in no time.
The only bright star on the horizon was the excellent breakfasts and the service in the Restaurant was very good indeed with polite attentive waiters. Five stars for that, but as for the rest....oh dear.
PS We are still waiting for the new bath towel

Room Tip: The windows aren't double glazed, so ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
Dear "ChestercityAndrewp",

I was very concerned after reading your recent review of the Washington as it raises some issues that, I agree with you, should have been solved prior to, or at the very least during your stay - for this you have my deepest apologies.

I have discussed the problems you noted in your review with my management team here and have made it clear that this sort of thing must not happen again. All the staff will shortly be receiving basic maintenance training from our Property Development Manager and myself to ensure that this does not happen again. I have also put in place a better system for ensuring that a maintenance problem, once reported, is actioned as soon as possible with feedback on the success of the solution being passed onto the guest when they return to the room.

I am really very sorry that the lapses in efficiency that you mention marred your stay and completely understand your response to them in this forum. I would like to offer you a discount on a future stay at the Washington - for this you would need to contact me directly on joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com.

I am, however, delighted that you found my breakfast team to be so delightful - they have been regularly awarded a prize within the group for delivering the highest level of customer service, so I am thrilled to be able to pass on your kind comments to them.

Joanna

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

london
Reviewed January 23, 2013

stayed 1 night, was very fair, abit dated, room 48 sleeps 3! was very small and was noisy! shower was rubbish!!! but plenty towels and pillows in room! didn't like that you had to pay 4 wifi, was expensive! every other hotel it's FREE!!!!! also £6 for car park!! when it's FREE on the roads outside!!!! breakfast was very nice and plenty choice!
probley would stay again but no more than 1 quick night!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear "Jamie198522",

Thank you for your review of the Washington. We discuss all reviews in our weekly meetings so that any positive or negative comments reach all concerned.

I am pleased that you were, in general, satisfied with your stay at the Washington and that you would stay again with us. You raised some concerns about the 'extra' charges at the Washington that I would like to clarify for future guests.

Our intentions with our additional charges is to keep our standard rates as competitive as possible for the majority of our guests. Our secure car park is charged at £6 per night as space is limited so we do not want to build this into our rates as there are many guests who stay with us but do not bring a car. Our wifi does carry a charge, but it is from £2.50 - again this is purely as only 50% of our guests use the wifi so we feel it is unfair to charge all.

I do hope this clarifies the picture slightly - it is not our intention to pile on the additional charges - there are free alternatives for all our extras so I feel that we are offering the best rates at all times.

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I personally thought that this was a really nice hotel especially seeing as it was just used for over night. The price was good but that was only because of a special offer, had it been more I wouldn't be willing to pay. Staff were nice but I felt like they were unapproachable as they always seemed to be looking down their noses. If you're looking for a quick stop this hotel would be good but can't imagine you'd want to stay any longer...

• Stayed January 2013
Dear "JRuby1994",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay. I'm pleased that you had a good 'stopover' with us and that you managed to get one of our special offer rates.

I am sorry that you felt that our staff were unapproachable. I would like to know more about why you felt this as customer service is of the utmost importance to me and if you left feeling that you couldn't make full use of the knowledge they had then I would like to address this. I would urge you to contact me directly on joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com.

I do sincerely hope that should you be passing by again, you would consider staying at the Washington once more.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Weonly stopped one night but the hotel was lovely slept well the staff were polite and welcoming the room was clean and tidy maybe just a little dated but who cares when the hotel was clean the breakfast was lovely and the staff catered to us perfectly so no problems stopping in the future

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank richJay
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear "richJay",

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Washington - it is lovely to hear such positive feedback from our guests.

The whole team here is delighted that you slept well and were pleased by the breakfast and level of service - both are areas that we put a lot of training into so to hear it is worth it is motivating.

I do sincerely hope that you will stay at the Washington again should your travels bring you this way.

Joanna Tiernay