“Worst guesthouse ever!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alpha Guest House

Alpha Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bristol
Alpha Guest House
Ranked #46 of 53 Bristol B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Worst guesthouse ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

After calling a number of guesthouses within Bristol, this one was the cheapest.... and now the reasons why are clear.
All the reviews here are true, myself and partner went to knock on the door and attached to it is a "Notice" stating 'No refunds after 5 minutes' need you say anymore.
We were not shown the room, just told 'Your room is upstairs', we spent almost the whole 5 minutes trying to find the room, to which we came across some horrifying scenes that you couldn't joke about.
The lock on the room door had been smashed off at some point and a dodgy repair done, which left around a 1-2inch gap between the door and frame while closed!
The place smelled, there was clearly drugs being taken and used from the address (May we add, this place also takes DSS claimants whom are claiming Housing Benefit)
The guesthouse shouldn't be serving any food, following a investigation by Bristol City Council a while ago, however, upon entering the hallway it clearly states 'Breakfast in bed £3.50'.
The lady whom "greeted" us wasn't very friendly, and was quick to take our money.
I could go on but take it from us, this truly is the house of horrors and you really won't get any sleep here. avoid and sit on a bench somewhere, as going here is likely to give you nightmares if not food posioning.
I recommend anyone who has stayed here to contact Bristol City Council, request to speak to Food safety team or the Anti social behaviour unit, as they are fully aware and would love to hear from you.

Room Tip: AVOID this, its a hell hole.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
68 Thank James W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

I can honestly say that this is the worst 'guest house' in history. It was horribly unclean, to the point where the shower was so bad I didn't use at all in my two night stay for the fear of coming out dirtier. The staff were useless and unhelpful. It's no wonder this place has been on watchdog. Genuinely words cannot describe how bad The Alpha Guest HOLE is. Avoid like the plague, because you're likely to catch it staying there......

• Stayed June 2012
31 Thank Bz1274
Presteigne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

I had the dire misfortune of staying here on Thursday night with my 9 year old daughter.

We had intended to stay at The Holiday Inn but unfortunately I had forgotten to take ID so were left stranded in Bristol very late at night. We passed the Alpha and thought our luck was in as the lights were on and they had vacancies.

Alarm bells were ringing when I saw the disgusting state of the entrance hall but I was so exhausted and desperate to get my daughter to bed I handed over my cash and found our room. The room was vile, old, broken furniture, washing up in the hand basin, thin curtains, uncomfortable beds, thin covers, kettle on the floor as the plug didn't reach, broken lighters in the bowl with the tea bags, filthy old carpet, used plastic cutlery in the drawers, need I go on?

I realised that I'd left my phone in the car and when I attempted to go and get it I found out that the front doors were secured with a combination padlock with no sign of how to raise the staff so we were locked in, I dread to think what would happen in a fire!

On returning to our room 2 extremely disturbing things happened. First there was, with no exaggeration whatsoever, a blood curdling scream from another room. I tried to settle my daughter by saying that we must have misheard, it was something else, but she insisted that I check the corridors and it took me a good ten minutes to muster the courage to do so. On returning to our room I noticed an empty prescription bottle, taking a closer look I realised it was a methadone bottle that had been doctored to make some kind of pipe. At this stage I was seriously considering sleeping in the car, I honestly felt like there was only a hairs breadth in the decision of where we would be safer. Remembering we were trapped inside the building I let my daughter sleep - although it took her some hours to settle, and I stayed awake to watch her until it was light. We slept in out clothes in case of intrusion or a chance of getting out.

In the morning we avoided the foul bathroom, I felt I'd rather we went dirty than I subjected my child to the vile shared shower. My key deposit was returned with no trouble but no one asked about our stay and I don't think I would have hung around a second longer than necessary to tell them if they had. The one and only positive I'll give them is that the staff we did meet were very polite to my daughter.

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel in the country and choose one there.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
33 Thank Rosalind B
plymouth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

OH MY GOD mr wong is the most unwelcoming little [--] you will ever meet, quick to take your money then a complete nightmare to get it back he is still threatening me after i got home and even came to my address 130 miles away, freak .here is some advice on the place, its been on watch dog and has been voted the worst hotel in britian and i will back that all the way. never eat food there as you might catch some of the worst diseases on this planet, the kitchen is riddled with animals and actually made me sick. i am an electrician and noticed a few worrying things about the building there was no fire or insurance certificates on display. the owner mr wong and his wife look terrified everytime you see them incase u complain. there is no RCD for the showers so u could be electrocuted judging by the condition of the shower installs i got plenty of video evidence of the dump and will be sharing it with my fellow victims of the ALPHA DUMP. when i left the guest house i booked int another guest house 5 mins away called GALLA guest house it cost 5 pounds more but is luxury very welcoming and friendly family, very very clean rooms and has satalite tv every chanel, not like alpha tv all [--] chanels WE ARE ENGLISH MR PONG sorry MR WONG. CCCCCOOOOOOOOOONNNNNDDDDEEEEEEEMMMMMMMM THIS HHHHEEEELLLL HHHHOOOOOLLLLLEEEEE

• Liked — the day i left
  • Disliked — the staff and the crumbling building
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
32 Thank imnuts
england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2006

After arriving in bristol and spending a lovely night in a hotel I decided I would try a local guest house for the following 3 nights I had there. Upon arrival i stood at the door ringing the bell to be met by a rather odd looking character who could speak but only after thinking rather hard for a long .Putting that asside as i was in a rush I paid my money to his wife and got my key deciding to put my clothes etc in the room later(how i regret not looking first).

Upon arrival later that night i was rather shocked to see what the room was like i have seen many badly and kept establishments(not that i would say this was an establishment more like a war torn house.)

On awaking the following morning to see that i had shared my bed with a couple of guests.not the human kind but the little flying ones.At this point i was going to be sick but the thought of visiting the bathroom took that away as that was worse than the room.

The following 2 nights i slept in a car as it was 100% safer and cleaner.
If you do read this i would really take notice as im not stuck by any way but my god i would not let a dog stay there it that bad

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — dont ever go there
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
25 Thank fuzzyheadedwomble
billingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2006

£16 bed and breakfast, sounds very good in this day and age but don't even bother ,the bit of breakfast u get is cold , the showers are either to hot or freezing the bedroom doors do not lock , although the room i stayed in was cleanish, they have a dog that continually yaps through the night the front door is very hard to get in with a key i snapped a key and never got my deposit back, the managers appear very friendly untill u trie to get any deposits back they say contractors welcome but dont know what they think we are don't even think about it.

Stayed June 2006
13 Thank merakuk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2005

Well... Where do I begin....
After looking for a guest house for a quick overnight stop off in Bristol I came across Alpha Guest House... Ha!
All seemed ok to begin with, I telephoned and booked our room well in advance, then the day before we travelled I phoned them again, just to double check all was still ok... we were informed that everything was still fine for us to arrive the next day.
So off we set the next day... heading to Bristol for a show we were going to see... However when we arrived at Alpha Guest House (Ha ha ha, I still cant say that without laughing... Guest House... Right lmao)
We knocked the door and after a little while, a scruffy looking man came to the door... and shouted through the glass "NO MORE ROOM! NO MORE ROOM!" ... we tried to explain that we had booked and who we were, but to no avail, as all he kept on shouting was "NO MORE ROOM!".
I decided that maybe he hadn't understood what we were trying to say, as he wouldn't stop shouting at us. So I telephoned the number for Alpha, after a while a man picked up the phone, I asked politely... "Hello, Is this Alpha Guest House?"
After a pause ( I expect he was looking out the window and saw me stood there on my mobile) he responded by shouting down the phone... "We reserve the right to refuse entry ... " and something else that I couldn't understand (as he was shouting) Then he slammed the phone down on me.
well, after that (Warm? he he) welcome, we decided we should look for another Guest House to stay the night in, and by the sound of it... we had a very lucky escape. I have contacted trading standards and reported Alpha Guest House... I look forwards to hearing from them.
Anyone else wishing to report them to trading standards can do so by typing a search named "Trading standards" and going to the site that says Trading Standards Consumer Complaints. They will get it sorted.
I am pretty sure there are many people out there who want to complain, but don't know how to go about it. Above is your chance to air your disgust at the service and standards of Alpha Guest House to someone who WILL take action, Make yourself heard :o)

• Stayed March 2005