“Great Location”
Review of The Rodney Hotel

The Rodney Hotel
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Hotel is in a great location for shops and restaurants in Clifton. Just a 5/10 minute walk to the suspension bridge too. We had 2 rooms, both at the back of the hotel so no problem with street noise. The double room was fine but the single room was very small. No lift so 3rd floor rooms a real climb, even the 2nd floor a bit of a climb. We had dinner in the hotel one night and breakfast each day and food was really good. The staff are the real draw to this hotel though as nothing is too much of a problem for them.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear CHerriot,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your kind comments on to the team who all remember your party fondly. Being a small hotel we pride ourselves on the service we are able to offer to our guests and it always lovely to hear that this is appreciated.
It is unfortunate that we are unable to install a lift at the Rodney. We have approached the Council several times regarding this, but due to the age and historic nature of the building, it is just not possible. The reception team are always happy to help guests with luggage on check in or check out as we appreciate the stairs can be a bit of a struggle.
Our room sizes do vary and we will always try to move rooms and pre-allocate when needed.
Thank you again for your review, and I hope we can welcome you back to the Rodney in the not to distant future.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Arrived Bristol late on a Saturday night so did not have a great choice. No car park. Night Clubs in close vicinity. Taxi rank opposite. Bus stop similar. Noise until two PM. Room tiny, building old with three floors and no lift, not one of our better experiences. On the plus. side, staff were pleasant,breakfast was fine.,bedroom was clean with ensuite and plenty hot water.

Stayed: August 2013
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Alan G,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I am terribly sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the size of your room and the noise from the surrounding amenities.
As a listed building the sizes of our rooms do vary slightly and we are always happy to show guest alternative rooms if we have them available. Our reception team is always available to help our guests move should they wish to.
Rooms at the back of the hotel do tend to be quieter and we are always happy to allocate these rooms specifically when requested.
Clifton Village is full a beautiful historic area with an abundance of lovely bars and restaurants. I’m afraid in the summer months there do tend to be more people sitting outside enjoying the late evening warmth, which does mean the noise levels from the street will be higher. I have to say this is not an issue we have regularly, so I am terribly sorry you sleep was disturbed as a result.
I am so pleased you were happy with the service you received from our reception team. I will pass your comments on to them as well as to my housekeeping department.
All guest feedback is extremely important to us and if you would like to discuss any of the above details then please don’t hesitate to contact me on 01179 735422.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Lovely location for Clifton in Bristol. Well situated for restaurants and shops. Room was small and fairly basic. Could have had more towels. Curtains at window didn't go anywhere near to blocking light from halogens outside window. However, hotel responded promptly to this complaint when we mentioned it on checking out. Bed comfortable. WiFi chargeable - not good when so many places don't charge now - seems grasping.
Nice garden at front for drinks.

Room Tip: Rooms at front noisy with traffic and chat if windows open.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JJPLondon
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear ‘JJP London’,
I am pleased to read that you appreciated the location of the hotel. Clifton is truly a beautiful area of Bristol and we are extremely lucky to be situation within it.
I apologise that you were not provided with the adequate number of towels during your stay, our 24hr reception service are always on hand to help guests with any additional provisions and can be easily contacted by dialing ‘0’ from the in room phone. We always ensure there are plenty of supplies in house, so please don’t hesitate to ask.
I hope you managed to visit our back garden for a drink as well as the front, as it is a real sun trap during these last sunny days!
Rooms at the back of the hotel do tend to be a bit quieter and we are always happy to allocate them when requested.
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney and I hope we can welcome you back for a future stay.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this delightful boutique hotel for 14 nights in three stays in July & August, and could not fault it or the fantastic staff working there! Incredibly convenient for enjoying everything that Clifton has, the bars, restaurants, shopping and lovely walks into Bristol and the harbor. Good value as well at under GBP65 most nights, including breakfast (excellent cooked variety and continental). Lovely restaurant and gardens front and back allowing for al fresco eating and drinking. Advise to request back garden facing room to avoid road noise, and be careful about being put on 3rd floor as no lifts! Was quite warm/hot whilst we were there, so used fans. We will definitely come back next year!

Room Tip: Ask for garden facing if want to avoid road noise, and be aware 3 floors, and no lift!
1  Thank Faberge36

Dear Faberge36,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I am so pleased you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us, my team remembers you both very fondly and were pleased to hear that you will be back next year!
We are indeed extremely lucky to be located in such a beautiful area of Bristol and the convenience of being able to walk around the city easily from here make it an ideal location to explore from.
Please don't hesitate to mention when booking next time, that you would prefer to be at the back of the hotel and on a lower floor, and my team will ensure this request is met.
All the best and kind regards,

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here for one night on 17th August this year on our way to Cornwall but would not stay again. Our room was tiny - no space at all to move around. It was also dark and in really warm weather would be unbearably hot. The room was described by the rather curt receptionist as being on the ground floor but in reality was a basement room The way down to the room was via a dirty narrow stairwell sorely in need of redecoration, Other parts of the hotel were also a bit shabby. Other gripes included a TV that didn't work, no biscuits and limited milk /tea in the room and a charge levied for wi-fi (most places now offer this for free). The breakfast was ok but there was no fresh fruit on offer and hot drinks were self service from two hot water jugs, which was another petty feature of this establishment. Location in Clifton was good but parking is on the street. For £119 B&B for two I thought it was poor value for !money.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
I am disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with your recent stay with us.
I am terribly sorry that you found the receptionist to be curt, I have spoken to this team member about their conduct and wanted to assure you that I will be taking this matter further. Our high levels of customer service have always been something we have prided ourselves on, and any behaviour seen to be not in line with this is taken very seriously.
I have completed a thorough room inspection of the room you were allocated to and also the stair well, and will be ensuring that as part of our continued program of renewals that these two areas are looked at in detail over the next week. We have already had the stair well walls scrubbed and repainted in light of your comments and this is something that we will certainly be keeping a closer eye on going forward.
I apologise that the TV in your room was not working. The switch on the wall had in fact been turned off by an energy conscious member of our housekeeping team. I have spoken to the House Manager about this, as I appreciate that a guest to the Hotel would not think to check the wall switch.
We recently changed the service of hot drinks from table service to self service in order to speed up the service and efficiency in the breakfast room. Receiving feedback of this nature is really valuable, as we want to ensure us guests are happy with the service we are providing and I will be passing your comments on to the Restaurant Manager.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel, it is extremely important we are aware of areas our guests feel we need to improve on.
If you would like to discuss any of the above comments in more detail then please don’t hesitate to contact me at the Rodney on 0117 9735422.
Kind regards

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I normally stay in bristol once a month on business and usually book into the sister hotel "the Clifton" on St Pauls Road, Clifton. Although the rooms at the Clifton are not as well equipped as the Rodney the standard of cleanliness is far better and it has a lift.

On checking into the room at the Rodney I found toe nail clippings on the carpet from a previous guest which indicated that the carpet had not been vacuumed.

The fruit and biscuits were not replenished on a daily basis as they are at the Clifton and the DVD player didnt work.

The rooms were noisy (regulary got woken at 3am and 5.30am by other inconsiderate guests slamming doors and talking loudly in the corridor) and the door was ill fitting.

The lack of a lift was inconvenient when carrying cases to the second floor.

My advice - Stay at the Clifton. The Rodney is was not worth the premium over the Clifton.

PS Im still waiting for the manager to contact me as promised to "discuss these issues"

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear 'sablodwyn',
I sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us at the Rodney Hotel.
On arriving to the hotel yesterday morning I was informed straight away that you would like to speak with me regarding your stay, however as I didn’t want to disturb you at work I decided that calling around lunch time would be a more suitable time for you. I am sorry that you felt that this was too late.
As per our conversation yesterday, I have had a meeting with my housekeeping team regarding the cleanliness of your room and will be carrying out daily spot checks to ensure the high standards we expect for our guests are being upheld by all room attendants. I am extremely disappointed that the room appeared not to have been hovered and take this matter very seriously.
I also apologise that not all of the complimentary fruit items were replenished daily. As it transpires there was a specific type of fruit you liked, we would have been more than happy to ensure you were provided with red apples everyday. Our reception team is on hand 24 hours a day to ensure all our guests requests can be met immediately and they are always happy to restock any item the room attendants may have missed.
I will of course pass your praise on to the Clifton and their housekeeping department and I hope that with the voucher I forwarded to you that you may revisit the Rodney in the future to see how we are improving.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you are on a budget and want to stay in the heart of Bristol's smartest area, The Rodney could be a good choice. In the heart of Clifton in one of it's oldest terrace of housing, the only thing that really let our stay there down was the tiny size of our double room which was cluttered further by over-ambitious furnishing. That said, the room was clean and staff very helpful, and you can still (for now) get free parking in nearby residential streets and free wi-fi in many excellent nearby cafes.

Room Tip: Door closers make the doors slam loudly!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Clive,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney, I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the wonderful location we are in.
The Georgian terraces in Clifton are beautiful and we are extremely lucky to be positioned with in one . As the property was once a house we also have a large back garden which is quite a rarity in Clifton.
I will certainly be having a look at the over-ambitious furniture you mentioned to ensure all our rooms are giving guests the most amount of space possible. I have also had our maintenance team adjust all the door closers at the top of the bedroom doors, as a couple were causing the doors to slam unnecessarily.
I sincerely hope that we can welcome you back to Clifton and the Rodney in the future.
Kind regards,