“Convenient cheap and comfortable”
Review of The Rodney Hotel

The Rodney Hotel
Ranked #31 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed one night so we were close to family who live in Clifton. Very informal approach to hospitality, but with a helpful receptionist [Australian?]who pointed out the most convenient parking place and hauled our overnight bag to our room whilst we parked. It was just as well she did as our room at the top of the house was reached by a vertigious coiled narrow staircase up to what would have been servants rooms when the house was built. Nothing wrong with that & there seemed to be at least 6 rooms up there, but beware if you are at all infirm, be sure to ask for one lower down.
Part of a lovely Georgian terrace with residential neighbours in this iconic part of Bristol. It's a pity that it's been refurbished so cheaply - fixtures, fittings etc recent, working and clean but made as inexpensively as possible so don't expect antique touches here, more ARGOS.
There appeared to be a fancy dress party in full swing when we arrived, so the small restaurant can get lively I suppose, but we were not disturbed at all. Breakfast was fine, modest cold selection together with cooked to order.
For what we paid £110 - in Clifton - it was excellent value, but I would have paid more for better quality.

Room Tip: Top floor are quiet, but take your crampons
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear 'Kehribar',
Thank you for your review of the Rodney Hotel. As a small independent hotel we are keen to offer a personal service that sets us apart from our larger chain counterparts, our aim is always to be efficient and personable. All our staff our happy to help with luggage, as without a lift in the hotel we appreciate the stairs can be tough and I am so glad Phae was able to assist you with this and also locating parking.
As all our rooms are slight different and spread over 3 floors, we are always happy pre-allocate rooms if guests have specific requirements. If you would like to stay with us again please don’t hesitate to mention your preferred floor.
We are incredibly lucky to be situated in such a beautiful Georgian terrace and I am glad you enjoyed the surroundings. All our bedroom furniture was designed specifically to fit our rooms and I am terribly sorry that you were disappointed with the fixtures and fittings. I will be compiling a thorough audit of the room you stayed in to ensure we make any necessary upgrades.
I do sincerely hope you will return to the Rodney for a future visit and please don’t hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss anything further.

There are newer reviews for The Rodney Hotel

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Over priced for what it is, the hotel is tired and in need of decoration with a number of stains on the ceilings. The garden needs some serious work, even cutting the grass would be a great improvement. On the positive side the hotel and linen is very clean and the food very good. A little work would improve this place greatly. Be warned and the hotel do correctly advise so house point there, parking is very limited, and visitors will probably have to park on the road which a the time of visit took about 10 to 15 minutes. That said I had son qualms about leaving my car at the side of the road based on my observations of the location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lswr53
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney, I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food during your stay, I have passed these comments on to our restaurant staff, who were thrilled with the feedback.
We do have an ongoing refurbishment program at the Rodney and I will ensure we focus on the room you stayed in as a matter of urgency. Ensuring the decoration of the rooms is fresh is something we are working hard to maintain.
We do have a contracted gardener who visits the Rodney every other week during the summer months and they were actually scheduled to visit the day after your stay, so I apologise that the grass was looking a little over grown during your stay. I think with all this abnormal weather we have been experiencing the gardens have been having a bit of a growth spurt! We have a plan in place to add lots of additional wild flowers to our back garden so I hope that in a few months it will look glorious.
Our parking spaces are unfortunately limited but we are able to assist guests in finding alternative on street, free and unrestricted parking in the local area. Clifton Village is an extremely safe area of the city of Bristol and we have never had any reason to be concerned about guests leaving their cars on the street.
I do hope you will return to the Rodney and see how hard we have been working on the decoration improvements.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed there for one night in May. Our room was on the second floor (with NO lift) - it was tiny and hot. The inside of the door was damaged, the bathroom space was minimal with a cheap plastic shower corner; the bedmattress had coiled springs sticking out. The wallpaper around the small window was damaged and the outside windowledge was full of cigarette ends and rubbish (cans and dirty papers etc). Breakfast choice was minimal and of basic quality. I complained and mentioned the above saying the room was NOT worth £112.00 a night + breakfast + £6.50 parking. Eventually it was reduced to £90.00 total. Despite the drop in price we felt that the hotel was not well run (and had probably seen better days!). We will not stay there again.

Room Tip: * Message to trip advisor: Have taken 3 photos with my mobile but not quite sure how to include them...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
I am disappointed you did not enjoy your recent stay with us at The Rodney Hotel.
We have been accredited with our 3 stars by the AA and on their recent visit in March 2013 scored highly so I am sorry to hear that you felt we were not up to 3 star standards. I have addressed the issue with the rubbish outside your window with my house manager who will be keeping a very close eye on this. We are a non smoking hotel and I am disappointed that we have obviously had guests disobeying this rule, we will be making this point more obvious in the rooms and ensuring all guttering is cleaned thoroughly.
Unfortunately we are unable to install a lift due to the period nature of the building but my reception team are always happy to help with any guest luggage. We also have a 24 hrs reception so there is a member of staff on duty at all times.
All our breakfast produce is sourced locally and with a buffet selection as well as five cooked options so I am sorry you felt the selection was limited.
As I am unsure exactly which room you stayed in during your visit I would really like to discuss your recent stay further so please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0117 9735422 or alternatively amy.allen@cliftonhotels.com

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is Bristol's own version of Fawlty Towers. If there is a way to do it wrong they'll do it. I was put in 3 different rooms during my short stay there - two of the room doors did not lock properly, one had a constant dripping toilet, two of the rooms were tiny to say the least, one of the beds was so uncomfortable you could feel every spring in the mattress, in the basement room you can hear everything happening upstairs on the wooden floor boards, one of the taps doesn't work and if you fancy turning around in the shower without hitting everything forget it ! The final straw was damage to my new luggage when they moved me into the final room which nothing has happened about to date to put that right. The staff are nice and friendly but they are working with a poor quality product. The location is good for being close to Clifton Village but forget street parking as it is near on impossible to find a space that can fit a car into. Overall very very disappointed in the hotel and would not recommend it to anyone as a place to stay in Bristol.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Disgruntled C

Dear Guest,
I’m sorry you were so disappointed with your recent stay with us.
I apologise that a fault with your bedroom door resulted in you moving rooms shortly after arrival. Fortunately our in house maintenance team was able to fix this issue quickly and were called to the hotel immediately on discovery of this fault. The second lock issue was also fixed with in a couple of minutes and a choice of rooms offered in light of this inconvenience. We have done a thorough check of all our door locks since your visit and no further faults have been discovered.
In light of your comments regarding the shower cubicle, myself and my maintenance manager have researched alternative shower cubicles but found that this cubicle is of a standard size. We will be looking to reposition the shower gel dispenser and install a small shelf however to ensure guests can enjoy the maximum amount of space possible.
We had previously received very little feedback regarding the mattress in this particular room and I am terribly sorry that you found it so uncomfortable. Our housekeeping team regularly turns all the mattresses and we keep a very close eye on all guest feedback, we will be purchasing a new mattress for this room in light of your comments.
Regarding the accidental damage to your luggage, as we discussed at the time, the room attendant who moved your luggage was extremely apologetic and very upset that this damage had occurred. As one of my supervisors and a trusted member of staff, she had not knowingly damaged your suitcase and I wanted to ensure I spoke to her regarding this situation, so I apologise for the slight delay in organizing your compensation.
As an area of Bristol, Clifton Village is a beautiful place to visit and stay in, and we are incredibly lucky to be surrounded by such a wealth of Georgian architecture. Unfortunately as a result of this, parking in the area can be limited. My team are all experts on the local area and are always happy to help guests find alternative parking if there are none of our spaces available and offer advice about the local transport links around the city.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on 0117 9735422 should you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We asked for a room at the back to be quiet (as suggested by previous guest) so accepted that the room was small but it was so incredibly hot! We were told to open the window which wouldn't stay open. Didn't expect for the quality of the hotel to sleep on a sheet directly on the mattress, not acceptable or hygienic!
Went to breakfast just after 8.30 and it was chaos, there was hardly anything on the buffet table. Having made our order for our cooked breakfast and watch people leave when they were fed up with waiting we finally got served at 10.00. Would have just eaten the toast but it was half cooked and soggy, the juice had run out. Couldn't quite believe it. Felt sorry for the staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smudge-in-uk
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel and I am terribly sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.
Unfortunately we have been struggling to get the Hotel to an optimum temperature due to the dramatic swings in the weather we have been experiencing. We are doing all we can to ensure the hotel is neither to hot or to cold for our guests and will be monitoring our heating daily until it settles down and hopefully summer arrives!
I have had our in house maintenance team look at the window in your room and it would appear that the sash cord had broken so this has been fixed. I apologise that this issue was not picked up on prior to your arrival. In light of your feedback I have added this to our room attendants’ daily room checks, of which I carry out regular spot checks on.

I can’t apologise enough for the chaotic breakfast on the Sunday morning of your stay. We were unfortunately woefully under staffed due to sickness and the demand was much higher than expected. I have spoken to both the restaurant manager and breakfast supervisor in detail about this service and we are working hard to ensure this situation doesn’t arise again.
Our high levels of service are an area the Rodney prides itself on, and I am disappointed that on this occasion those high standards were not met.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I booked the room for a last minute business trip to Bristol,
and was blown away as to the quality for the price of the room,
restaurant is lovely / great menu, and loved the cozy bar where I enjoyed a few drinks after dinner. staff couldn't do enough, really friendly and welcoming, the stay made a potentially stressful 1 night last business trip, into a relaxing experience.

Room Tip: call before booking, very friendly & helpful staff.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KJL_swansea

Dear KJL from Swansea,
Thank you very much for your kind review of the Rodney Hotel -
I am so pleased your last minute over night stay was such a relaxing experience.
I have passed your lovely comments on to the whole team, who were delighted with the feedback and I sincerely hope we can welcome you back to the Rodney for a future stay.
We do always have our best rates available when you call the hotel directly and our staff our more than happy to ensure you get the best room to suit your needs especially if you have stayed with us before.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed 2 nights.Friendly reception staff helped with finding a parking space,where we left the car for the two nights and days.Unfortunately we weren't warned about the roosting pigeons above the car.About 25 separate splatters all over the car.A horrendous mess which solidified like concrete in the sunshine over 2 days.Back home,we're still trying to clean off the mess,not very successfully. So beware ! Arrive early for a parking space and watch out for trees overhead !
The hotel itself is comfortable, well-located with lots of Clifton restaurants and coffee shops and interesting individual shops just"round the corner". Our room was at the front of the hotel and the lack of any double glazing meant the weekend noise went on into the early hours.So,a room facing the back might be quieter.
On the whole though,with a few provisos,a good place to stay in Bristol.

Room Tip: For a quiet night,book a room at the back.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Rodney Hotel.
We are extremely lucky to be situated in the center of Clifton Village as it really is a truly idyllic area of Bristol. With so many independent shops, bars and cafes the village has managed to maintain a real local feel which is lovely for visitors to experience.
We have a beautiful walled garden to the rear of the hotel which does mean that rooms overlooking the back can be a little bit quieter and we are always happy to allocate rooms as per guest requests so please don’t hesitate to mention this should you wish to stay again.
I do apologise for the mess the pigeons caused on your car. I have to say this is not a problem we have ever experienced in the past and in light of your comments we will be having this particular tree trimmed in the coming months which I hope will mean this problem is eradicated.
I do hope we can welcome you back to The Rodney Hotel next time you are visiting Bristol.