“Disappointed”

Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Hampshire
“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We asked for a room at the back to be quiet (as suggested by previous guest) so accepted that the room was small but it was so incredibly hot! We were told to open the window which wouldn't stay open. Didn't expect for the quality of the hotel to sleep on a sheet directly on the mattress, not acceptable or hygienic!
Went to breakfast just after 8.30 and it was chaos, there was hardly anything on the buffet table. Having made our order for our cooked breakfast and watch people leave when they were fed up with waiting we finally got served at 10.00. Would have just eaten the toast but it was half cooked and soggy, the juice had run out. Couldn't quite believe it. Felt sorry for the staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smudge-in-uk
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel and I am terribly sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.
Unfortunately we have been struggling to get the Hotel to an optimum temperature due to the dramatic swings in the weather we have been experiencing. We are doing all we can to ensure the hotel is neither to hot or to cold for our guests and will be monitoring our heating daily until it settles down and hopefully summer arrives!
I have had our in house maintenance team look at the window in your room and it would appear that the sash cord had broken so this has been fixed. I apologise that this issue was not picked up on prior to your arrival. In light of your feedback I have added this to our room attendants’ daily room checks, of which I carry out regular spot checks on.

I can’t apologise enough for the chaotic breakfast on the Sunday morning of your stay. We were unfortunately woefully under staffed due to sickness and the demand was much higher than expected. I have spoken to both the restaurant manager and breakfast supervisor in detail about this service and we are working hard to ensure this situation doesn’t arise again.
Our high levels of service are an area the Rodney prides itself on, and I am disappointed that on this occasion those high standards were not met.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on 0117 9735422 should you wish to discuss this further.
Amy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Swansea
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I booked the room for a last minute business trip to Bristol,
and was blown away as to the quality for the price of the room,
restaurant is lovely / great menu, and loved the cozy bar where I enjoyed a few drinks after dinner. staff couldn't do enough, really friendly and welcoming, the stay made a potentially stressful 1 night last business trip, into a relaxing experience.

Room Tip: call before booking, very friendly & helpful staff.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank KJL_swansea
Dear KJL from Swansea,
Thank you very much for your kind review of the Rodney Hotel -
I am so pleased your last minute over night stay was such a relaxing experience.
I have passed your lovely comments on to the whole team, who were delighted with the feedback and I sincerely hope we can welcome you back to the Rodney for a future stay.
We do always have our best rates available when you call the hotel directly and our staff our more than happy to ensure you get the best room to suit your needs especially if you have stayed with us before.
Shrewsbury,United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed 2 nights.Friendly reception staff helped with finding a parking space,where we left the car for the two nights and days.Unfortunately we weren't warned about the roosting pigeons above the car.About 25 separate splatters all over the car.A horrendous mess which solidified like concrete in the sunshine over 2 days.Back home,we're still trying to clean off the mess,not very successfully. So beware ! Arrive early for a parking space and watch out for trees overhead !
The hotel itself is comfortable, well-located with lots of Clifton restaurants and coffee shops and interesting individual shops just"round the corner". Our room was at the front of the hotel and the lack of any double glazing meant the weekend noise went on into the early hours.So,a room facing the back might be quieter.
On the whole though,with a few provisos,a good place to stay in Bristol.

Room Tip: For a quiet night,book a room at the back.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Rodney Hotel.
We are extremely lucky to be situated in the center of Clifton Village as it really is a truly idyllic area of Bristol. With so many independent shops, bars and cafes the village has managed to maintain a real local feel which is lovely for visitors to experience.
We have a beautiful walled garden to the rear of the hotel which does mean that rooms overlooking the back can be a little bit quieter and we are always happy to allocate rooms as per guest requests so please don’t hesitate to mention this should you wish to stay again.
I do apologise for the mess the pigeons caused on your car. I have to say this is not a problem we have ever experienced in the past and in light of your comments we will be having this particular tree trimmed in the coming months which I hope will mean this problem is eradicated.
I do hope we can welcome you back to The Rodney Hotel next time you are visiting Bristol.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I arrived thinking I was going to drive into a gated area to park my car for £6.50 a day only to find there are only 7 spaces! Obviously there were none left by the time I arrived. It was really difficult to park/unload then I had to drive round on Friday night to find parking which I did 5 mins at least later, not what one wants after 3hour journey.

My next complaint is the general unfriendliness of the reception staff, a smile and hello would be nice. 2 days before the end of my stay, the key system stopped working which meant we had to have a receptionist open our door with the master key each time we wanted to re-enter, that I'm not annoyed with, it's the lack of in intuition the reception staff showed. On two occasions, the reception staff looked up and saw me walk past them then up the stairs to my room, which was on the 2nd floor. As they didn't tell me otherwise when they saw me, I always assumed the key was fixed but on reaching my room, I discovered it wasn't and would have to walk back downstairs to ask the receptionist to follow me back up to open the door with the master key. This happened twice and the third time had I not initiated in asking the receptionist on my way up whether the key was fixed, they would have let me walk up the stairs again only to walk down to get them.

I'm normally keen to leave positive reviews but despite tge central location, reasonable price and basic cleanliness, I was appalled by the unhelpful ness of the reception staff and would not return due to this.

I'll stick to Premier Inn, without fail, their customer service is fantastic,

• Stayed March 2013
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Rodney Hotel.
I can’t apologize enough for the inconveniences caused by our malfunctioning key card machine. Unfortunately as this issue arose over the bank holiday weekend we were unable to call out an engineer, as under normal circumstances we would have ensured this issue be fixed on the same day.
I am extremely disappointed that the service you received as a result of this situation was below the standards we would usually expect. I have spoken to all my receptionists who were working over the weekend about how this situation could have been handled better and they would also like to pass on their sincerest apologies. This is not a problem we have experienced before and I have created a contingency plan document to ensure that should a similar issue ever arise again the staff will be better prepared.
The service we offer is of the up most importance to us and the comments you have made regarding the staff our do seem out of character so I want to ensure you that I am taking this matter very seriously.
I would also like to apologise that our parking situation is not what you expected, we would love to be able to offer our guests additional parking but unfortunately with Clifton Village being an area of historical beauty we are limited with what else we can offer. All guests are called prior to arrival to ensure the information regarding our parking situation is explained and my team has an extensive knowledge of the area so are always able to direct guests to alternative free parking. I understand that after a long drive this is not ideal and I apologise for that.
If you would like to discuss this further please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0117 9735422.
Amy Allen

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights over the Easter weekend, Thursday - Sunday. The package we were given was great value for money, 'Spring Spectacular' The room was cosy and comfortable, - it was on the third floor, and the last set of stairs were quite narrow and twisty, which was OK for us, but could prove a challenge for anyone with mobility difficulties, and there isn't a lift. Once in the room , it was clean, full size bathtub, tea and coffee including a percolator, fresh fruit, and nice touches such as a radio/CD player, as well as the usual TV. The windows are not double glazed, and the wooden frames are not brand new, so there was a bit of a draught. But not uncomfortably so.
Breakfast is sumptuous. There are five hot meal options, and also cereal, fruit and yoghourt options.
The restaurant offered a discount for residents, and we ate there on one evening, which was nice, and also with diners from the local area. But there are plenty of great pubs and restaurants nearby, - we can recommend the Clifton Sausage, just round the corner from the hotel on Suspension Bridge Road.
All of the staff at the Rodney Hotel were friendly, welcoming, and nothing was too much trouble - even when our room key packed up, which meant the receptionist having to do that trek up to the third floor with us every time, she did it with a smile and a cheerful attitude.

Clifton Suspension Bridge is about five minutes walk from this hotel, but for anything further afield, the bus stops right outside the door of the hotel, and an all day travel pass costs £4 per person, which is well worth it.

The only downside is that car parking spaces are extremely limited, and you cannot be sure of either getting a space on arrival, or , as we did, of then being sure not to lose it should you move your car. It wasn't a great problem for us this time, as it was our first time to Bristol ,so we had lots to see and do by using the bus, or walking. But we'd like to return to the Rodney hotel, using it as a base to explore further afield, and I'm not sure we could, as each evening, it would be a gamble as to whether we could get the car parked safely.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor, you'll get a better view, and not have to negotiate the steepest staircase
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chocolatelover_11
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review of The Rodney Hotel and the service you received.
I’m glad you appreciated the complimentary items offered in the room such as the fruit and fresh tea and coffee.
I am so pleased you were happy with the service you received during your stay in spite of the issue with the key card machine. I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay.
We are extremely lucky to be based in the center of Clifton Village, not only because it is so beautiful and there is so much to do and see with in easy walking distance, but also because the transport links around Clifton are especially user friendly. Buses go around the city from directly outside the Hotel, which is ideal for anyone visiting Bristol for the first time, as driving and finding parking around the city can be difficult daunting. There is also Clifton Down train station, which is with in easy walking distance from the hotel and trains take you directly to Bristol Temple Meads, making trips a little further a field easy and stress free.
We really do wish we could offer additional parking to our guests and I am doing all I can to try and secure any available spaces around the Village for our guests.
I hope we can welcome you back to The Rodney Hotel and Bristol for a future visit.
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night while attending a 60th birthday party Was not disappointed ,hotel Very comfortable with nice touches such as fresh coffee and fruit in all rooms ,would definitely stay here again ,oh and the Party was Fab !.

Stayed March 2013
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear ‘Kurinz’,
Thank you very much for your review of the Rodney Hotel.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us and appreciated the little touches we offer, such as the complimentary fresh tea, coffee and fruit in all our rooms. We hope to offer something a little different from the norm and I am so pleased it is appreciated.
I do hope you will revisit us in the not to distant future.
Kindest Regards,
South West
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We've stayed here a couple of times when we go to concerts. It is the heart of Clifton and plenty of interesting shops and pubs and of course the Clifton Suspension Bridge is nearby. Sadly the restaurant was fully booked so we ate elsewhere. We asked for a quiet room which we got, looking over the garden. That certainly cut down the noise on the saturday night. We slept quite well though I found the bed a bit firm but that's my personal preference. I was a bit warm too, being on the top floor heat rises so i turned down the radiator and opened the window for a bit. Breakfast was tasty, especially the eggs royal and the eggs benedict. I had the veggie full breakfast one day and there was rather a lot of pepper on it. Staff were friendly and helpful and we'd go back again.

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and as a returning guest to The Rodney have taken the time to review the Hotel. The team was delighted to hear that you had such a nice stay with us.
We are extremely lucky to be situated in the heart of Clifton Village, as it really is a beautiful area, not only for a wander but there are also some really lovely shops, bars & restaurants.
I am sorry that you were unable to get a table in our lovely restaurant No4, it is always advisable to book in advance to avoid disappointment and the reception team are always happy to make table bookings along with room reservations.
I have passed your praise on to the chef regarding the breakfasts taken at the Hotel and have made sure he is a little less heavy handed with the salt & pepper!
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Rodney in the not to distant future.
Kind Regards