“Great stay despite "acts of god"”
Review of The Rodney Hotel

The Rodney Hotel
Ranked #31 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay despite "acts of god"”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of a group on a hen night. The receptionist was lovely and welcoming and very helpful with the parking. The room we had was nice, small but that us to be expected in a Georgian building. Very clean and well stocked. We were a bit upset as we went to request some champagne buckets and ice to find out another much larger group had asked for "every single champagne bucket" and used up all the ice. Again the girl in the reception/ bar managed to squirrel away one for us. Very much appreciated! Sat in the beautiful garden and celebrated!

Then we went out and there was a huge storm. When we had returned there had been a leak on the roof which had shorted the electrics on the 3rd floor and meant nobody had any hot water the next day. The occupants in the third floor with no electric were given a slight discount but we weren't offered anything despite being unable to have a hot shower or even watch TV before we checked out which was a bit sad (and annoying as we had a lengthy car journey ahead of us and were a bit whiffy from a night out beforehand). Understand this was a bit of a freak situation but did sour it a little bit.

• Stayed August 2012
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your understanding regarding the issues you encountered during your stay. I can’t apologise enough that your stay was disrupted as a result of the leak we experienced, the whether certainly was horrendous during that particular weekend. I am glad you were able to enjoy our beautiful garden before the storm started!
As you said, it was a freak accident, and our maintenance department and external contractors were called immediately and have ensured me that the roof has now been fixed.
I am pleased you felt our reception staff had handled the situation (and the finding of an ice bucket!) efficiently and with due care.
Thank you for your feedback of our front of house staff, as a small hotel the service we offer is extremely important and we train our staff to offer the best possible service.
I hope that you and your friends will revisit The Rodney hotel.
If you would like to discuss your stay any further then please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards
Amy Allen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel last night as part of a group, my room was very small and so so so hot. I had 2 cold showers and had the window fully open for hours, it seems the walls radiate heat......needs modernisation mainly with air con, it wasn't even a hot night outside, it would be stiffening is we actually had a summer xx

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Charlotte,
Thank you very much for your feedback and choosing to stay at the Rodney Hotel.
I am sorry that we are unable to offer air conditioning at the hotel and that your room was so warm. We do offer portable fans for all guests which we will be placing in all arrival rooms on future hot days in light of comments you and other guests have made recently.
I would also like to apologise that you found the room to be on the small side. As we are situated in a listed building, the rooms do tend to vary in shape and size from one another and we will always strive to allocate rooms to ensure every guest’s needs are met. Our reception is staffed 24 hours a day and the team are always on hand and happy to move guests rooms were possible.
As a small hotel we would like to feel that we are able to offer a more personal service and which I would hope means the staff are approachable and willing to help with any query or issue. I would appreciate any additional feedback you may have on this and am available on 0117 9735422 if you would like to discuss this further.
Tavistock, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Needed to stay in Bristiol for our daughters graduation day. Booked this hotel because it was pet friendly and was able to take our 2 elderly dogs. I asked for twin and single rooms next to each other. Hotel said we could have rooms opposite each other. On arrival the twin room was in the basement and the single up 2 flights of stairs room on the first floor.Much texting ensued to co-ordinate movements. I suppose at a a stretch one could argue that the rooms were roughly opposite each other, but separated by 2 flights of stairs.
The basement room was hot and humid the longer we stayed in it, forcing us to strip off layers of clothes, whilst the dogs wandered around listlessly panting,I then noticed peoples legs walking past the window and realised we were 10ft below the street level pavement. There were also steps leading down past our window to a storage area, and every so often someone would come down the steps to access the storage area. Complete lack of privacy, and if we drew the curtains it made the room more stuffy and hot. Had difficulty opening the sash window, to get some cooler air in, but then had to put up with the noise from the street. Felt a bit vulnerable with the window open at night but we needed cool air in the room. I prefer the freedom of a duvet rather than the tightly tucked in blankets which make it difficult to move around in.
We were charged £6,50 per day for parking outside the hotel, but this was not a guaranteed space. £4 per day wi fi charge, plus £9.00 breakfast all mounts up. These extra charges I think should all have been included in the price. The dinner menu didn't cater for vegetarians either.
Overall an average hotel that could do with some modernising. New windows, air-conditioning, window blinds, carpets, decorating.
On the plus side the staff were welcoming and friendly, particularly the receptionists; it was reasonably quiet, had a relaxed atmosphere and was dog friendly.It was also a good location for accessing the restaurant and cafe life of the Clifton area, and just a short drive into the city centre and harbour.

Room Tip: avoid basement rooms, or bring a portable air-conditioning unit with you!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear YargLegin,
Thank you for your feedback.
I am pleased that you found the service welcoming and friendly, and appreciated the relaxed atmosphere we offer at the Rodney. We are extremely lucky to be located in such a beautiful and convenient area of the city and I am glad our guests are able to make the most of this.
I am sorry that there was a mistake with your room allocation and that your stay was not what you hoped for. I have had a look at your reservations and can see that you had been allocated to a twin room on the 2nd floor meaning that your rooms were adjacent but unfortunately the guests that had occupied the room the previous evening had requested to stay for an additional night.
I completely appreciate that you and your party should have been informed of this prior to your arrival and I am terribly sorry that due to us only having one other twin room you were then allocated to a room on a different floor. I have spoken to my reception team about how this situation could have been handled more efficiently and the best way to ensure all guests are receiving the best possible service from us.
I have completed a thorough inspection of your room with my House Manager in light of your comments. We will be adding an additional lock to the gate at the top of the stairs and an additional thinner curtain to the window in the room so the window can be open fully. As a small boutique hotel, we our constantly undergoing a rolling renovation project to ensure that our décor is modern, stylish and fresh and I will ensure that this room receives some additional treatment.
I am terribly sorry that the room was so hot during your stay. Unfortunately we are unable to install air conditioning at the Rodney Hotel due to the listed nature of the building, we do appreciate that during the summer months the rooms can get hot, so we do offer portable fans on request for all guests. I have spoken to my housekeeping and front of house teams to ensure that for future bouts of extremely hot weather that the fans are put in to all arrival rooms.
I appreciate your feedback and would be happy to discuss any of these issues in more detail, so please don’t hesitate to contact me at the hotel on 0117 9735422.
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in the ground floor family room. As many have said, parking is a problem, we had to leave the car 3 streets away on the second night which was a worry. Room was small and next to a staff room which generated some noise. second night we were kept awake by furniture being moved around although very tired looking member of staff did apologise at breakfast. Room furniture was a bit tatty and the pull out bed was so uncomfortable i couldnt let my kids sleep on it - i'd had a couple of pints so slept on it myself!!!!!!! did mean to bring it to attention of staff but had to walk and get the car so forgot.
Staff were all great, breakfasts were excellant, bathroom was good, foyer, bar etc all nicely furnished...... upgrade the bedroom furniture and it would be ok

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Nev D,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.

I am pleased that the service you received during your stay was excellent and that you enjoyed the breakfast, I will be passing your comments on to the team.

I do apologise that you were unable to park at the front of the Hotel, I appreciate that as our parking is limited that some guests may have to park else where. We do have maps of the local area available on reception that highlight the closest non restricted parking and we will always do our best to help guests that are struggling to park. Clifton Village is an extremely safe and peaceful area of Bristol not only for pedestrians but also regarding parking, if you are ever in doubt then please be sure to ask at reception.
I have spoken to my House Manager regarding the additional bed in Room 5 and I am so terribly sorry that you found it uncomfortable, we will be looking it to replacing this ASAP. Obviously guest comfort is our priority so I do apologise that your stay was disturbed.
If you would like to discuss your stay with me further then please don’t hesitate to contact the Hotel on 0117 9735422.
Amy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I cannot believe how small this room was. I have no idea how the photographer got the image he did which they have on their website! Our room mwas at the back and it was so hot at night. Others also complained about this the next morning. We had to pay extra to park the car - which I thought was unreasonable. There was no lift which i thought they should exspalin on their website. Breakfast food was excellent but they had one poor man who was having to serve some 40 covers. he did very well but it seems that the owners do not like employing the necessary number of staff. Either that or the two ladies on reception should have helped more than they did.

Room Tip: Ask where the room is - I suggest one on the first floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
I am terribly sorry that you were disappointed with the size of your room during your stay with us. As a small hotel, in a listed Georgian property our rooms do vary in size and if notified the reception team will always do their best to ensure the requirements of each individual guest are catered for. We appreciate that we are not able to offer the facilities of some of the newer, larger, purpose built hotels but we hope that our outstanding location, excellent customer service and the additional more unique features we are able to offer, such as complimentary fresh fruit and loose leaf tea and coffee, make up for this.
I do apologies that you were not informed that the hotel doesn’t have a lift, I will of course rectify this on the 3rd party websites and ensure that guests are informed. It is unfortunate that due to the listed nature of the building, we are unable to house a lift. All staff are trained to offer guests help with luggage on arrival and departure, and are happy to offer any additional help when needed.
Regarding the breakfast service, it was certainly not our intention to only have one member of staff on for the breakfast shift and we would never knowingly under staff what we know to be a busy service. Unfortunately the other waitress had called in sick on the morning in question and immediate cover could not be found. I have spoken to the breakfast supervisor regarding this situation and addressed it with all relevant staff members. I appreciate that there were two girls on reception desk, unfortunately one was on her first shift so was unable to be left alone, I have spoken to them both about this situation as I’m sure a resolution could be found and excellent service in all areas is always our main objective. I am terribly sorry that the breakfast service was disrupted as a result.
Thank you for you feedback and comments regarding your stay, if you would like to discuss any aspects further please don’t hesitate to contact the Hotel on 0117 9735422.
staffs
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night with our son and his wife for a wedding on the Saturday.We asked when we arrived if we could go into our room when it was ready and eventually(after talking to a helpfull maid)managed to get into our rooms.They were tiny,no you cant both walk round the bed at the same time,as someone has already mentioned.We did notice that the minibar in the room was half empty as was our sons and mentioned this to reception on our way to the wedding.Found it very noisy at night as there was a hen party on at the hotel.The breakfast was nice,waitress helpfull too.
on checkout was supprised at the cost so asked the reception for a print out,so glad we did they charged us 2 different prices for the same size rooms,and after some calls etc did get it refunded!Then on Monday evening had a call to say we had used the minibar and not paid!!!!!
Luckily they did find that we had reported this problem so all sorted (we think).The hotel is in a lovely position but feel the rooms/attention to detail in the rooms are letting it down.

Room Tip: rooms at the back seem quieter than the ones on the front.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Mrs. Fallows,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
As our usual arrival time is 2pm and your party had requested an early arrival, it is our policy for our reception staff to just double check that the rooms are ready. As check out time is 11am and the request was made for 12pm this is a relatively short turn around period and we would hate for any guests to check in to a room that wasn’t perfect. I do apologize if your check in was prolonged slightly as a result.
I am terribly sorry that your rooms were not to your liking, one of the aspects of the boutique nature to the Rodney that we like so much, is that all the rooms are slightly different and I do appreciate that not all rooms are the same size. I will be doing a thorough audit of all our double rooms to ensure we are using the space we have available to us in the best possible way.
Unfortunately the Hen party we had in the hotel on the Saturday night got a little bit carried away with the excitement and although they were situated in our private garden, I understand that noise levels were higher than we would expect. I apologize for any discomfort caused by these guests and I will be speaking to the restaurant staff about how to ensure noise levels are monitored more closely going forward.
Regarding the issue with your rate, all reservations are made manually by our reception team and I am afraid that as your two reservations needed to be put through separately there was a mix up with the rate. It was obviously not our intension to over charge you for the second room and I am pleased that this issue was rectified on the morning of your departure.
I am extremely sorry for all the above issues I sincerely hope that you will return to the Rodney Hotel in the future.
Bordeaux
Reviewed April 18, 2012

As my son has just started Bristol University my husband and I were keen to visit the city as we had heard such good things. My son recommended we stay in Clifton and we found the Rodney Hotel on line. I was a little concerned by some of the reviews I had seen on Trip Advisor but felt that the room rates were extremely good value for a 3 star hotel and the location was ideal so we decided to give it a go. The Hotel looked beautiful from the front and as my son had pre warned us about the lack of parking in Clifton I was pleased that there was hotel parking outside (although limited). The receptionist was very well presented and extremely helpful and spent time chatting to us about the local area and where my son lived. Our room bright and charming, the bed was comfortable and the shower powerful (which I think are the two most important features!)

I was extremely impressed with the levels of customer service this little hotel offered, from the receptionists to the breakfast waitresses. It was lovely to be able to walk to the city centre and the hotel is just a stones throw from the Clifton Suspension bridge which looks stunning during the day and at night.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Bristol and to the Rodney and am looking forward to may more.

Tip : It is always better to make up your own mind!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of The Rodney Hotel and for making up your own mind! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us and found the staff, hotel and location all to your liking.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.
Kind regards