“Thornbury Castle”
Review of Thornbury Castle

Thornbury Castle
Ranked #59 of 218 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: Who hasn't dreamed of staying in a romantic castle tucked away in the English countryside? You can at the 16th-century Thornbury, which is a perfect home base for exploring the region of South Wales, the Cotswolds, Bristol, Wye Valley and Somerset.
Reviewed December 4, 2012

this was a very nice place to eat and the atmosphere was very good I dont know whether the same owners have the Castle but have enjoyed our visits upto September this year.

1  Thank Pastholidays
"private lounge"
"sumptuous rooms"
"secret escapes"
in 2 reviews
"henry viii and anne boleyn"
"historic surroundings"
"lovely staff"
in 12 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed December 3, 2012

A friend took me here for afternoon tea - and it was lovely - everythign about it was lovely! - pretend your lord of the manor...if only for an hour or so....a beautiful building in a lovely spot. Would definitely go again.

1  Thank ashthetourist
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I am a wedding photographer and have visited many castles around UK and Europe. I have to say, Thornbury castle was a really nice surprise for me. The rooms are grand, the service was very good (at least on a wedding day) and what is definitely worth mentioning is the food - the salmon was super tasty and Michelin star deserving.

1  Thank martinskik
Reviewed July 10, 2012

As an American, staying in a castle like this is quite an experience. I mean we don't have castles all over the place like Europe does. This one is pretty special, too. Before you go, read up on the history of this castle. If you have seen "The Tudors," the story plays out in that program!! King Henry and Anne Boleyn actually visited this castle, and if that doesn't knock your socks off, I don't know what will. The grounds are beautiful and the village of Thornbury is quiant and charming. We only had one or two meals - breakfast - at the castle. We thought the meals were great. The hospitality was wonderful - no elevators so we were, pretty excited to have a young man happily carry our considerable luggage up the castle stairs. It is a certainly a place to to inspire imagination. While relaxing in our room one evening and sipping delicious sherry, we listened to the rich sound of bells peal from the adjacent, ancient church. The bell ringing went on for quite some time, and we discovered that local youngsters were learning how to ring the bells properly - certain patterns for certain occasions. Wedding bells, funeral bells, etc. That night was one of the few that I could actually feel myself going back in time and truly imagining what this place was all about. It was a wonderful escape. And we appreciated the nice updating - the bathroom was lovely, but the updating was not overdone - the history remained intact. The only thing that could have been improved on was the quality of the beds - very average. But I can sleep on a comfortable mattress any time. When I wasn't sleeping, every other moment was sheer enchantment. I highly recommend this castle hotel to any tourist looking for an experience they won't soon forget.

1  Thank ColoradoKat23