“Something a bit different”
Review of The Square

The Square
Ranked #454 of 1,724 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Square Kitchen is an award winning restaurant in Clifton, regarded by many as one of the best restaurants in Bristol. Serving forward thinking, delicious food and offering first class service in stylish and boutique surroundings, also available to hire for Private Dining parties. The restaurant serves up award winning cuisine through a creative and innovative menu that is inspired by traditional British recipes and dedicated to creating dishes that focus on definitive British ingredients. Wherever possible we aim to source local Bristol produce, using free-range organic Ruby & White meat, Brixham fish, The Arch House Deli and fresh baked home made bread. The Square Kitchen is open for breakfast, lunch & fine evening dining plus delicious Sunday Roasts.Our stylish dining area is perfect for private dining parties, seating up to 75 guests. The Square Kitchen is an extremely versatile space, allowing you to create the ultimate dining experience and atmosphere. We also have a professional and enthusiastic waiting team on hand to cater to your every need and a dedicated private events manager to ensure a smooth running and successful event.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We booked this restaurant with a Travelzoo voucher and were pleased with our decision. The food is unusual and tasty and the service is very good. Portions are a little on the small side and we regretted not having ordered extra veg as there was very little veg included in the main course, but the food was well cooked and interesting.

I would have preferred to sit at an individual table rather rather than the long, canteen style which they have adopted. I also think they would be able to seat more guests as several spaces are left between diners meaning the restaurant is always half empty.

Would return with another voucher, perhaps not otherwise as we don't actually live in Bristol.

2  Thank melbermar

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

So we visited on Sunday after struggling to find somewhere that could fit us in for a roast. It was a bit of a last minute choice, having never been there before and read mixed reviews, but it turns out it was definitely the right one!

It was very quiet but we didn't let that put us off and it was actually quite nice not being squashed up against other people. The decor inside is beautiful, high ceilings, long tables, dark woods, gold accents.

We both ordered the chicken and it came out at just the right time, beautifully presented with a bowl of seasonal veg on the side and an extra jug of gravy (without even having to ask).

Lovely roasties, perfect yorkshires, beautiful carrots, succulent chicken and delicious chicken. Needless to say, we ate every last bit. If I had to make one tiny criticism, a half chicken would have been nice as the supreme was a bit puny but beautifully cooked.

For dessert, we had chocolate fondant, salted caramel and ice cream. I'm not a chocolate or dessert person but I'm telling you, this was something else. Absolutely exquisite. Perfect melange of flavours, the salty caramel taking the edge off the molten chocolate and homemade ice cream. Simply scrumptious. Possibly the best dessert I've ever eaten.

Great service throughout. Lovely blonde lady who told us that our dessert would take slightly longer as it was cooked to order and was charmingly friendly and attentive without being overbearing.

Highly recommended even by my extremely hard to please Sunday roast standards. We'll be back! Thank you.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We took advantage of a Travel Zoo offer and booked a mid-week table to celebrate husband's 60th birthday. We were shown to a place at the end of several refectory-style tables...not quite the intimate night we were hoping for ?
The menu looked interesting with several rather surprising combinations: 'aerated fois gras with home made granola', for example. This was beautifully arranged on a slate but, alas, I struggled to discern the flavour of foie gras, and the wafer thin chicken skin was similarly devoid of taste. We had to chase the waiter for the promised glass of bubbly.
I had to virtually shout to my partner to inquire about his food - like many contemporary restaurants, the lack of any soft furnishings renders quiet conversation impossible. My Cornish turbot was nicely cooked but not very hot, perhaps had been left standing too long? My husband's saddle of rabbit was very pink - I was up later most of the night with stomach pains caused, no doubt by this ? The waiter gradually seemed to lose interest in service and as the restaurant thinned out to just us and a trio of women, my lukewarm chocolate fondant pudding eventually appeared.
Very disappointing - doesn't the chef ever taste what is being sent out?

Jade D, Public Relations Manager at The Square, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent view of The Square Kitchen. I have passed your comments onto our Head Chef, who will be speaking to his team and address a few small issues highlighted. We have weekly one to one meetings with all team members, attentiveness to service will be addressed over the next few weeks.

I hope to see you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

attentive service, beautiful decor. you think you are into a winner. not really. you will be massaged to buy a more expensive wine, food is on a 'petite' side but 'pretty' . my fish dish was well cooked, seasoned. very expensive for what you get. there is a middle way between the 'idea' of food and a large meal - it is called a decent portion. Although pretty and eclectic decor, it is not suitable for romance, long tables, a bit italian, community style. not a disaster, but left annoyed when people pretend to sell you more than they actually do. need to live up to expectation

1  Thank frinqui
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Tried to book for, 8 told only 7.30 and 8.30 available. Arrived 8.20, 10 out of 50 covers taken. What?

Ignored by staff until we strode up to them. Dinner took 45 mins to arrive - a steak and a mushroom risotto. In a quiet restaurant, it shouldn't take that long.

Steak okay, ruined by topping of watercress in incredibly salty butter.

Risotto patently part cooked and then completed when ordered. Mushrooms slimy, meal inedible. Given glass of wine in recompense.

Wine was nice, waiter was okay, but putting a less than average restaurant in a smart address and doing the decor nicely doesn't magically make it a good restaurant.