“Amazing AMAZING food”

The Square
Ranked #455 of 1,579 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Square Kitchen is an award winning restaurant in Clifton, regarded by many as one of the best restaurants in Bristol. Serving forward thinking, delicious food and offering first class service in stylish and boutique surroundings, also available to hire for Private Dining parties. The restaurant serves up award winning cuisine through a creative and innovative menu that is inspired by traditional British recipes and dedicated to creating dishes that focus on definitive British ingredients. Wherever possible we aim to source local Bristol produce, using free-range organic Ruby & White meat, Brixham fish, The Arch House Deli and fresh baked home made bread. The Square Kitchen is open for breakfast, lunch & fine evening dining plus delicious Sunday Roasts.Our stylish dining area is perfect for private dining parties, seating up to 75 guests. The Square Kitchen is an extremely versatile space, allowing you to create the ultimate dining experience and atmosphere. We also have a professional and enthusiastic waiting team on hand to cater to your every need and a dedicated private events manager to ensure a smooth running and successful event.
“Amazing AMAZING food”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend went to The Square on the last day they were serving the 7 Course Winter Taster menu in April after receiving an email offering 50% off.

The canteen style seating is quite unusual, it isn't what I would choose but it was a Tuesday and not very busy so it wasn't an issue.

Neither of us had tried a Taster Menu despite eating out a lot but the waiters (who were both really welcoming) gave us a menu which we kept beside us throughout the meal, I don't know if this is normal but it added to the experience to be able to read about every dish(Also they let me take it home afterwards which was nice of them!)

I could rave about the food for pages but essentially it was
perfect. Every course was beautifully presented, tasted fantastic and was in a perfect quantity so we were just pleasantly full at the end of 7 courses.

The menu would have cost £110 each normally and if I could afford those sorts of prices I would happily pay that for the standard of food we had, it was an amazing experience, would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to try a taster menu. I can't comment on the wine flight as neither of us drink but I'm sure it would be pretty impressive if the food is anything to go by. If I get another one of those offers at the end of The Square's next Taster Menu I would be there...fantastic food and experience

• Visited April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
“not for the hungry !”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We visited on a weds night - 7.30 pm with a Travel zoo voucher -very few people scattered around refectory type tables - not very conducive to a dinner for 2 . We love eating out and enjoy good food but we thought the menu was rather pretentious with very odd tastes being brought together. Some of it worked and some didn't (the very thin slice of seafood black pudding was innovative and tasty) . The portions were extremely small but artistically presented to fill the plate. The lovely, if tiny Brill was hot but the potato cold, my partner's small bass fillets (2x 2 inch squares) were beautifully cooked (and hot) but the 4 clams and 4 langoustines (shelled) served with it were cold - maybe this was planned.? The small salad was ok with a reasonable dressing. We couldn't find anything that caught our fancy on the menu for dessert. The Prosecco , the red wine and the very very attentive waitress are to be recommended but we were very glad we were not paying the full price .

• Visited May 2013
Jade D, Public Relations Manager at The Square, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that some of our dishes were not to your liking. The Square strives to be an innovative restaurant that is inspired by seasonal produce and creative methods but hopefully not by any means pretentious. Our chefs take pride in producing a menu that infuses a variety of flavours that compliment one another but feedback is always welcome and I will pass this onto our kitchen team. I have also passed on your comments about the temperature of some dishes and this will be addressed immediately. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our wine selection and attentiveness of the front of house team. Changes will be made regarding your feedback and I hope we will see you dining with us again in the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“The Square is a hidden gem!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Square review:

Ever since I went to a friends birthday party at The Square (which was a great success) I've wanted to go for an evening meal there. I finally got round to it last Thursday, before the May bank holiday weekend. My friend and I walked into a very busy restaurant and were greeted by a pleasant waitress, who gave us each a glass of bubbly. She attended to us all evening and was extremely pleasant, recommending things from the menu and wine list and really seemed to know what she was talking about.

Onto the food; I had scallops to start and brill for my main course, both of which were cooked exquisitely. The food is unique and presented very well. For example, the scallops came with a seafood black pudding. You would not catch me eating the normal stuff, but this was made from seafood and died with black squid ink - genius!

As for dessert, I couldn't resist the sound of dark chocolate fondant, with salted caramel sauce and peanut butter ice-cream. And it did not disappoint. The flavours complemented each other perfectly. I ate every last bit, my plate looked as though it ad been licked clean (but i assure you t hadn't).

My friend enjoyed her meal just as much as I did and we would both highly recommend the culinary delights at The Square. It is one of Bristol's hidden gems.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good Food, Excellent Service”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I've lived in Bristol for several years but never come across this place until recently, hidden behind Georgian houses. It was nice weather so my partner and I decided to make use of their outside terrace, which was very picturesque. The food not only tasted great but was also presented really well (especially the starters!). Despite being on the terrace and out of the main restaurant, we still felt well attended by the staff, who kept checking up on us and others on the terrace throughout the evening. A very pleasant place in a nice location, will definitely come back here with some friends.

bath
“An unusual experience”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Mmmm A very strange members club We visited on a Wednesday evening, very few guests, very few staff but pleasant and attentive. Service was slow, food was only warm when it finally arrived. Definitely needed the chips to supplement pretty but very small portions. The toilets were downstairs through a deserted bar Very burlesque! Perhaps we chose the wrong evening as other reviews depict a buzzing place! Wouldn't return