“Will not be returning”

Cuisines: European, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed September 14, 2013

After a very nice day out, my friend and I wanted a good cake and a cup of tea. We decided to visit Patisserie Valerie.

I have eaten in other PVs but this was my first and last visit to Clifton.

On arrival we were told that table service was not available and we were asked to order at the counter. Having eventually ordered (I was initially in a queue of one with one assistant standing doing nothing at the end of the counter but looking at me rather than offering to serve ), my cake was put on a plate but no fork was supplied. When I asked for a fork she went to a collection of crockery etc which was on the side and looked as though it had just come from the kitchen.

I paid over £6 for my very average cake (pastry was too thick and I've had better fruit) plus a reasonable pot of tea. I did not leave a tip.

The atmosphere was also dismal. The cakes may look good in the window and draw people in but the room is dated and needs redecorating; the overall atmosphere is poor.

Bottom line - give this one a miss.

2  Thank aveagoodtime

Reviewed July 20, 2013

You look in the window and the pretty bejewelled cakes entice you to try them. Once inside, it's like stepping back in time and my childhood visits to "Wimpy" albeit without the burgers. It was hot, stuffy and crowded. Anyway we all had different items and once they arrived we embarked on a round of sharing the presumed delicious cakes. What a disappointment they were! Any true French patissiere would hang their head in shame. They were fluffy slabs of blandness and hardly worth the extortionate sums being asked for them. My advice to you is if you want a bland slab of cake whilst in Cabot Circus, pop down to Sainsbury's at the bottom of the slope and buy one there, cut it into 4 and you would have the same experience but saving yourself about £15.

1  Thank Fraglon
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Went in for takeaway brunch Saturday morning. Despite it being empty and serving one person - there was a long wait. Another staff member eventually came from the back, seemed more managerial but no smiles and very business like. This was ok but the coffee was weak and milk burnt. I tried to explain but it was difficult - simply told the machine had been checked ! Obviously no coffee expert. Later when I eat my cheese and ham croissant which looked fresh when I last saw it - was now burnt and dry. With so many good coffee shops locally which were buzzing when I walked past (should have noted the signs)- if this is a typical experience - I would go to one of the others. Pity as its so close to me.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

it is very nice but pricey you almost need a mortgage to eat here!I WOULD PROBABLY re vist--if someone else was paying!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

the Team here are great, Staff are attentive and are great with chlidren.
we often pop in for coffee and cakes , take away cakes and ice creams which are very good quality.
If in the City centre give the big coffee chains a miss and head here, the coffee is excellent and the food and cakes are leaps and bounds ahead.

well worth the visit!