“Rooms really good but staff not welcoming”

Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

On arrival at the hotel there was no welcome as an IHG member not even any information on the hotel it was so poor a welcome for such a nice hotel
When I was checking in one member of staff was even criticising someone loudly on the telephone just not professional
The room was really good clean and better than most holiday inns
The location was perfect
On check out there was no thank you no how was your stay not even have a nice day they just didn't care
It's all good and well having a new holiday inn but if u haven't got the customer service to match it
If I could stay in a hotel with such nice rooms but maybe the reception staff from holiday in. Cardiff it would be perfect
Maybe it would be a good idea for the gm to take a few of the reception staff to Cardiff fir the day to see how it's done

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Stevewales44
BRSCC-FOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and effort to complete an on line review. I was disappointed to learn of your check in experience and would like to apologise personally for this. I understand my front office manager has already spoken at great lengths with you about this and that the situation has now been resolved.
Despite the above I would like to thank you for you additional positive feedback regarding other aspects of your stay.
If you would like to discuss the matter further please feel free to contact me directly on 0117 924 5000 or email: gm@hibristolcity.co.uk.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed here overnight for a family event and were really impressed with the feel of the place, having experienced some slightly dingy mid-priced chains. The Holiday Inn was bright, modern, spotless and really comfortable. It's in a convenient location (especially for shopping!) and ticks all the boxes. It's slightly annoying to have to pay £10 per day parking for the multi-storey car park, but that's a small gripe.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting an online review. As you can imagine I was delighted to read all your positive comments regarding the hotel. Although I was sad to learn of your small gripe, unfortunately we do not own the adjacent NCP car park however we do have a discounted parking rate for hotel guests and I was happy to see you took advantage of this.

Once again many thanks for your review

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in a suite. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children. We had a really lovely stay here. Car parking was easy, the location is brilliant (just across the road from the shops) and the hotel is really nice. The suite itself was amazing - absolutely huge and with a beautiful bathroom and PS3 for the children. Breakfast was lovely with freshly made pancakes and omelettes. Overall a really enjoyable stay and well worth the extra money for a suite. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
BRSCC-FOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Guest

Thanks you so much for completing a great review. Our suites are very popular and I was happy to read that you found it amazing. I was also delighted to read that you made use of our pancake and omelette station, this again proves very popular amongst our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have stayed here previously and am thankful to say nothing has changed. The impressive rooms, free upgrade on arrival and the service are all still there.

I would definitely stay again and will be in December.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, if you are an IHG member you will probably get one.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LiverpoolSt

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your continued loyalty and patronage to the Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre. I was delighted to read you had a great return visit. Myself and the whole team look forward to welcoming you back in December.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

First trip to Bristol and after the storms which made the flight down interesting to say the least. Check was efficient if impersonal and no acknowledgement of IHG platinum which is rare for a HI. Given a drinks token but was for gold but told to tell bar staff I was platinum as apparently that also gets you a snack, bar staff unaware of this, but not to worry. Room was very spacious and on site gym facilities were excellent.

The heating had gone down in that part of the hotel and was not fixed until next day, bit of to and throw that's not worth going into as the management response the next day after check out was courteous and appropriate. Things do go wrong, but you have to tip your hat to a front of house manager that take ownership of issues when they arise.

Very convenient for Bristol city centre, which was a lovely town.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
BRSCC-FOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review, I would like to take this chance to apologise personally for any heating issues you may have had during your stay. As you correctly mentioned our heating units did suffer a mechanical failure that couldn’t be fixed until the day after. Whilst I was disappointed in this I was thankful of your patience and understanding over this matter. Sadly from time to time things do break, most are in the hotels control however in this occasion we needed a specialist to attend site .I was however delighted to read that James took ownership and addressed your concern immediately, I will ensure your comments are passed onto him.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when I found this hotel in the centre of Bristol. It's a great location in terms of shopping and travelling and my suite was one of the best hotel suites I've had the pleaure of staying in - complete with Playstation and Nespresso machine.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark D

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your continued support to the Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre. I was delighted to read that our standards have not lowered since your prior visit. All going well myself and the team look forward to seeing you again in the festive season.

Once again, thank you for your great comments

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We (2 adults, 2 children) stayed two nights to visit family in the area. The first morning we went down for breakfast. No one had offered breakfast on check in. We were told breakfast was £14.95 each. Because my husband is often at HI he knew there is usually a cheaper deal available, so went to reception where he was able to buy vouchers for breakfast at £10 each. So my first point is, make sure you get the best deal for breakfast! Secondly, the breakfast was poor quality, my husband has visited this HI several times and commented the quality has dropped considerably. The coffee was from a machine which delivered many different drinks and tasted awful. We tried coffee, cappuccino and expresso all revolting. The croissants and pain au choc were small and tasteless, pastry not as a decent croissant should be. Juices were watery. Scrambled eggs a horrible grey colour and watery, my husband suggested they may even have been made with powdered egg. This is poor Holiday Inn, you are charging a premium price here, we expect a premium product. The second morning we went across the road to Starbucks and had a lovely breakfast for half the price. At £150 per night plus £14.95 per person for breakfast I expect an excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013
BRSCC-FOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and effort to complete an online review. Whilst I was happy to read your positive feedback regarding the staff and hotel, I was concerned to learn that our breakfast offering was not to your liking. Please accept my sincere apologies over this matter; I would however be very grateful if you could contact me directly via email or telephone gm@hibristolcity.co.uk , 0117 924500 so I can further understand our shortfalls. We have recently made a few tweaks to some of the items however all feedback is essential to help us improve further.

On a separate note, I’d like to thank you for your patronage to IHG and Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre.

I look forward to hearing from you.