“Front desk staff let this hotel down”

Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We just stayed in this hotel, two rooms, two nights. I use this hotel chain often, and around the world.
On balance I'd say the rooms were very nice, wi-fi free and fast, beds comfy, food quite good.
What nearly ruined it was one staff member on the front desk, Janet, who lacked the ability to listen to customers or respond in any way that could be considered customer service.
Thank goodness assistant manager Andrea was there to jump in and sort out a room problem that seemed too much trouble for Janet to handle.
I am not sure how this hotel markets itself locally, but it did seem on a Saturday night to be a bit of a party, stag night hot spot. Don't let them give you a room on the third floor, where I was told they always booked the stag parties.
I was travelling with my children for a sporting competition and really we wanted to get good rest in nice rooms, have a decent breakfast, and be up and out early to compete.
There are lots of places to stay in Bristol on the same price bracket. Next time we attend a competition there, i will look into alternatives.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor at all costs, unless you want to contend with stag party guests. It was made q...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
BRSCC-FOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to complete a review on line. I was glad to read that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and thank you for your positive feedback, I was however sad to note that you experienced some poor customer service and would like to apologise personally to you for this. As with any shortfalls within the hotel I look to resolve immediately , therefore I would be most grateful if you could contact me direct to discuss your stay further either via email gm@hibristolcity.co.uk or telephone 0117 924 5000.

The hotel itself caters for many guests and all types of travellers, when we identify either stag or hen parties, we do indeed manage these correctly and allocate them all to one place as well as taking a security deposit, and therefore there is no impact to any other hotel users.

Once again thank you for bringing this to my attention and I look forward to hearing from you.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed on business for two nights, very central location in the heart of the city, great parking attached to hotel. Very modern rooms and clean. Good food choice and nice service. Worth noting though that I was on the executive floor however I doubt the other rooms would be any less modern or clean. Free wifi very handy also.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Tony S

Dear Guest

Thank you for completing an online review. I was delighted to read your positive comment’s regarding the hotel, I was happy to see you enjoyed our free WIFI , executive room offering and our great location. Myself and the team look forward to seeing you again in the future.

General Manger

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Been to other Holiday Inns a couple of times before (Sao Paulo, Brazil & NYC) and both of them were as high quality as this one. This one is centrally located, next to Cabot Circus and very close to the Bus Station, making it a convenient location for arriving from the airport and/or taking public transportation in Bristol.

Spacious, clean and well furnished rooms with good shower, nice bed and extras such as cafe & tea inside the room. Powerful shower and very well-rounded interior design were definitely a plus.

Breakfast in the morning was diverse and high quality - I ended up paying an extra for it, but it was reasonable. 24h bar and room service available.

I'd stay here again without second thoughts.

Room Tip: Some people have complained about noises, but I have no complaint about that whatsoever.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and recommendation. It’s always pleasing to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. I will ensure your great comments are passed and shared amongst the team.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Recently returned from a stay at the Holiday Inn City Centre and was amazed. All Holiday Inns should be like this one.

We were visiting for a university open day with my son and had a room on the 5th floor. The room was modern spacious and clean and was more than suitable for our 2 day stay.

Breakfast was excellent with fresh omelettes. We only ate on one night as we prebooked at the waterfront for the first night but our evening meal was very tasty.

Big thanks to James, he was so funny, friendly and welcoming and took the time to talk to us about Bristol and gave us lots of useful advice and suggestions.

We will be back soon and can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Globetrotter-brummie
BRSCC-FOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Guest

What a great review, thank you so much. I was delighted to read that you took advantage of our great breakfast offering and in particular our fresh, made to order omelettes. Thank you for your other positive feedback surrounding the hotel.

I will ensure James is informed of your praise for him. James has been at the hotel since we opened and is a key head of department. As with any hospitality industry good staff members are key to the operation and James certainly falls into this category.

Kind Regard

General Manager.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Good standard Holiday Inn experience. A bit of a performance getting from the car park to the lobby via a series of lifts (at least when you have luggage to manhandle). Check in friendly and efficient and all interactions with staff members were pretty positive. Good clean rooms, nice bathrooms and a decent bed. Good location for the main shopping districts.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GlasgowSpud

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your comment’s following your recent stay with us. Its always nice to read that we got all aspect of your stay correct. I do hope if you are in the area again you will continue to use the Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre.

Once again, thank you for your review

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business and couldn't have asked for a nicer hotel. The room was clean with lots of room, a lovely powerful shower and a very comfy bed. Breakfast in the morning was relaxed with a great selection available. Even the cooked breakfast was a higher standard than expected.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank SJField1

Dear Guest

Thanks you for completing such a great review. I was delighted to read you had a great overall stay.
Myself and the team hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed for one night on a weekend so we could go out in Bristol. The shops are half a mile away through the underpass or you can walk a little further down and cross through cabott. Check in was quick and breakfast etc. Was explained to us. We booked the shopping package - a 3 course dinner and glass of bubbly, a £40 shopping voucher, free parking and upgrade to an executive room. We asked if we could have the dinner as lunch the next day as we'd booked somewhere else for dinner and they said this was fine.
The room was excellent - clean and comfy with a very large TV, air con (which worked well). There was a free Mars bar and bottle of water (although only one?).
When we went out for the evening the gentleman on the ground floor desk was happy to call us a taxi, and on our return we had a few drinks in the bar (the staff there were also really friendly).
Breakfast the next day was great, (the cold section was a little lacking), although the lunch we had later was really very average - I wouldn't come here for dinner again.
Overall an excellent experience and I would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Executive rooms on the higher floors have no traffic noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for completing an online review. I was delighted to read that you took advantage of one of our many packages we offer. I was pleased to read all your positive comments regarding the hotel and staff, however with that being said I would be grateful if you could contact me via email: gm@hibristolcity.co.uk or telephone 0117 924 5000 so I can establish further feedback in relation to your meal as we are always looking at ways to improve our food offering.

Once again thank you for leaving a review and I look forward to hearing from you.