“Excellent and central”

Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent and central”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I do not have anything negative to write about this hotel, I will no doubt book it again as I often travel to Bristol. Close to both stations, although I use Parkway and take bus 73/73b (it's direct and only GBP 2.70 per journey) a clean, affordable hotel, with large rooms, a cosy bar and friendly staff. Perfect, highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Loisa11
GM-BRSCC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Thank you for writing a review.
I was very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and enjoyed the hotel facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Andrew Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

We have just returned following a 2 night break at this new modern hotel. It is ideally placed in the centre of Bristol just across the road from the shopping centre and a short walk away from the waterside. Parking is next to the hotel and is £10 per night, not bad these days for a city centre hotel. We ate both nights in the hotel and the food was very good and well priced. My only complaint is that this is a very nice restaurant but it does lack atmosphere as there is no background music and the TV screens are left on all around the restaurant.

Service on arrival was very quick and we were able to get in our room early (11:00am). We had a superior room which is an excellent size and the bed very comfortable. The air conditioning/heating system is easy to use and very effective. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who likes a modern, clean and spacious hotel. It is very likely that we will return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John-Susan17
Thank you for writing a review.
I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel. I have taken your comments on board concerning the atmosphere in the restaurant and have discussed this with the F&B Manager to ensure that we get the music volume and lighting appropriate to the time of day. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

This was my first time staying in a Holiday Inn so I wasn't really sure what to expect; I was however very impressed with almost everything.

The location of the hotel is good, right opposite Cabot Circus where there's numerous shops and restaurants, also not too far from the centre of Bristol. Check-in was not the fastest but otherwise OK.

The rooms are modern and reasonably spacious with a decent shower, air conditioning, tea and coffee facilities and an (unstocked) mini-bar. There's also a decent TV with connectivity for everything - HDMI, USB, audio. You can get 30 minutes of free wi-fi per day which was greatly appreciated, after that you have to pay.

My only real complaint was that the room was cold; whatever I did with the air conditioning, I couldn't improve things. In fact the whole floor of the hotel felt cold as soon as I stepped out of the lift, so maybe there's a wider issue.

Parking is available for £10 a day and there's a bar open 24 hours. Didn't try the restaurant or breakfast on this occasion.

Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for writing a review.
I was very pleased that in general you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel. Please accept my apologies that you had issues with the controls for the air-conditioning/heating. We area able to control these from reception and set the temperature for guests - so on your next stay please ask reception who can set the temperature to what you require.(There is no air-conditioning/heating in the bedroom corridors - just individual bedrooms). I look forward to welcioming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

A last minute booking for a Sunday night in January - yes, OK, I was expecting a good deal, but £40 for two in a double room including a full buffet English breakfast was exceptional. Particularly as the hotel is pretty new, provides on site parking for £10 for 24 hours and is right at the end of the M32, so extremely easy to access.

We were given a Priority Club room, which was warm, inviting, well furnished and very quiet (being at the rear of the hotel rather than at the front overlooking the ringroad). All the staff were polite and friendly, particularly at breakfast. The breakfast was fresh, extensive and good quality.

Overall, I would absolutely stay here again if I could get a comparable rate - I appreciate that rates may vary according to the season and the day of the week but this would have been a value for money stay at £60 to £70 a night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review.
I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and were also able to purchase a discounted rate. Discounted rates area availble subject to availability and we try to ensure we offer competitive rates on a daily basis. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

lichfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stayed here with my partner in the executive suite what can I say the room was amazing I can honestly say that after the numerous hotels we have stayed in this was the best,granted it can be seen as quite expensive however I truly believe it was worthwhile. I would highly recommend eating in the dinning area the food was gorgeous well done to the employees who have made this hotel a class above the rest :)

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for writing a review.
I was very pleased to read that you had an "amazing stay". We offer a selection of room types from standard, superior, deluxe, executive and suite. I was also pleased that you really enjoyed the food. All food is freshly prepared by the chefs on a daily basis and I am extremely pleased with the quality of the food that we serve at the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel, and I've now been converted to a Holiday Inn fan.

Good points:
-couldn't be more central.
-staff friendliest and most helpful that I've come accross in a good while (at both restaurant/bar and reception)
-very clean
-rooms lovely, good size
-even the room service menu didn't seem terribly expensive (which is unusual) Didn't try it, but it sounded very nice.
-free range eggs available at breakfast :)
-comfortable beds
-just an all 'round nice stay.

Bad points:
-No bad points for the actual hotel, but had to go through a slightly dodgy feeling underpass to get to and from town (and bus station), but there are probably detours available. Fine for during the day, but probably wouldn't head through there myself at night.

We really enjoyed our stay here, and this will be our first choice hotel from now on for any future Bristol visits.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for writing a review.
I was pleased to read that in general you had a very positive stay and enjoyed the hotel and facilities. The underpass you refer to is covered by 24hr CCTV coverage that is reviewed by bristol city council and the police so is actually very safe although it currently is not the most sightly experience. I am pleased to announce that Bristol Council are applying for £1million funding to transform this area. Possibly a place for concerts and exhibitions and with walkways accross the roundabout so you do not have to walk through the rubway. (All very positive and hopefully the planning and funding will be approved as soon as possible and the work then carried out. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel as your preferred hotel to stay at in Bristol.

Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

As a regular user of Holiday Inn's I must say this is the best one ive stayed in and frequently go back to.

Rooms are fantastic, all with large wide screen tv's, very well laid out, great bathrooms, some have massive walk in shower areas but all have very large power showers on the ceiling so none of this trickle of water over the bath stuff. Radio alarms in every room, plus had a dvd player in an executive room

The food was pretty good too, tried breakfast and dinner.

Great location across from Cabot Circus which has many different restaurants, cinema etc inside and 2 mins walk from the bus station for anyone using the airport flyer session this hotel would save extra taxis etc as you can easily walk between.

Room Tip: Stick to rooms with a low number on each floor, as the lifts are at one end of a very long corridor...