“Friendly Staff, good location, well appointed rooms”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I was extremely lucky and got an exceptionally low "August Special" rate by booking in advance. I was worried that it would mean crummy accommodation. But the Berkeley Square is a delight. The receptionists were all friendly. The single room I'd booked was not at all the typical shoebox but a comfortable room with not only the usual tea making facilities but also a plunger style coffee pot with ground coffee. TV of course but also dvd player and stereo system. The only negative I have is the breakfast times - seven till nine is just a little too early for tourists though it must suit business people.
Well situated about halfway between the city centre and Clifton. I walked everywhere, though, coming back from the harbour or the shopping areas, it is up a steep hill. If that bothers you there are lots of buses just down the street.
Wonderful place. Good job!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed August 24, 2009

Stayed as part of the Banksy special to see the Banksy exhibition at the City Gallery - excellent by the way - just stayed a Friday night & then drove home again.

We stayed in Room 2, which is one of the basement rooms at the front of the hotel. We didn't arrive til very late (after midnight) & my heart sank as I saw all the people outside on the pavement chatting & making quite a bit of noise, from the Square Club, which is part of the hotel.

When we went into our room all we could hear was the bass from the music next door & the sounds of all the people next door, this went on until well after 2am. In addition the front of the hotel is lit up with spot lights (very pretty), but the curtains don't meet in the middle or the edges, so the room was very bright, which made it even more difficult to sleep. We also had an alarm call at 7.30, which we didn't ask for, so very poor nights sleep all round.

I did complain to the hotel and they responded quickly, which was appreciated, but just to say that they recognised that noise was a problem, but they valued the club very highly. They would try to inform guests on booking if an event was in the Club, but no plans to actually do anything about the noise. All that would be needed was to soundproof the windows with good quality double-glazing and get black-out blinds.

On the plus side, the rooms are well-fitted out with stereo systems, TV's, DVD players, fruit a wide selection of teas and proper coffee. The hotel is well-located and the public areas are quirky with interesting art and nice touches throughout, but all a bit pointless if you can't sleep. Also the bathroom was a bit tired, although nice tolietries. On the whole I'm sure it's fine if you're staying during the week in an upstairs room, but if you're staying over a weekend think carefully unless you're the kind of person that can sleep through anything.

On the whole I wouldn't go back, but a reasonable small investment could make this a very nice hotel.

Reviewed August 23, 2009

We spent the night here to be up early for the Bansky exhibition, this hotel is situated in a great location for Bristols night life and getiing about. A truely lovely hotel with a great atmosphere, the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms are modern, well designed with a nice touch of having fruit in the room and freash milk delivered on request for your tea and coffe (beats the UHT any time). The bar was enjoyable with great entertainment. I can recommend the cocktails esspecially the 'Bramble'. Great value for money.

Reviewed August 6, 2009

We arrived at the hotel at about 12:45 pm - a bit early for check-in but we thought it might be worth taking a chance. Apparently we were wrong, as we were told straight away to come back at 2pm, though they did offer to look after our bag for us. Now perhaps this was perfectly reasonable as all the rooms may well have been busy, but I would suggest that for the sake of customer service they could make a show of *checking* (or even just *pretending* to check!) that there were no free rooms before telling us. The end result would be the same, but the effect on the customer is quite different!

The room itself was fine, the staff were friendly, the decor interesting, the location was perfect (as we were going to the Banksy exhibition which is practically opposite the hotel); in fact on the card they asked us to fill in I could find nothing in their list that warranted anything other than high marks. However, I had one of the worst night's sleep that I can remember as the room (No 5) was so ridiculously HOT - my wife and I both slept without any sheets or blankets and with a window open (which consequently let in a fair amount of noise) and we were still boiling. The temperature outside was only about 15C, but inside the room it must have been twice that. We mentioned this to the reception staff the next morning and they were very apologetic and seemed surprised to hear it. I can't understand why it would have been different for us than it was for anybody else, so that was a bit of a mystery.

Other minor gripes - I wish hotels would stop putting those tiny mini-bar fridges in rooms that you can't use yourself. We had a couple of bottles of water that we would have liked to refrigerate, but we couldn't put them in the fridge without moving something that was already in there - and doing this would have triggered the automatic billing system (which would charge us £1.50 for a can of Coke!), so we didn't do it.

Also, when we checked in the receptionist asked us to sign a form and indicate which newspaper we liked to read. Maybe I'm naive, but I was slightly surprised to then be charged for the newspaper when checking out.

My wife, who is American, thinks this country has a long way to go in understanding customer service. The way the whole thing should have happened was that when we arrived early, the receptionist should have said "let me see if any rooms are available for you", gone away, come back and said "I'm terribly sorry but they are all busy at the moment, could you come back at 2pm?". End result: exactly the same, but we would at least have felt like they'd tried. The hotel should have charged us £1 extra for the room and given us the newspaper free. End result: exactly the same, but we would have felt like like the hotel was looking after us. After we complained about our terrible night's sleep, the hotel should have offered us a bottle of wine or something as compensation. End result: the hotel would be £4 or so down on the deal, but I would be recommending the hotel to everyone instead of writing this review. A few tiny things that really don't take much effort can make a big difference in the customer's perceptions and English hotels seem to be slow at getting this message.

Reviewed August 1, 2009

I really liked this hotel. It was extremely clean, the lobby was funky and cool, and the room was well decorated. They had just discontinued the free sherry, which my husband and I were sad about, but our toddler son enjoyed the fruit bowl. The location is perfect for the university if you need to go there and the staff at the front desk were pleasant. The bed was the most comfortable of the 5 we slept on in England. Our stay would have benefitted from a/c to run overnight and free internet but other than that we were very happy.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I stayed at The Berkeley Square hotel in Clifton 2 days ago and must admit was slightly worried what I might find having read some of the earlier guest reviews on this site - but i felt i had to write this and set things straight - were they writing about a different hotel? I have never had such a pleasant stay - the hotel was charming, modern, clean, a unique, bohemian and artistic ambience with friendly staff that couldn't do enough for me. The food was excellent and one can have anything off the menus for room service - which along with breakfast was on time and absolutely delicious! - and I am fussy!
The room was charming, well appointed, all mod cons and little extras which gave a lovely unique touch - and an excellent view of the garden.
I would recommend this charming boutique hotel which is right in the middle of Clifton, to anyone and everyone - and I can't wait to go there again!
A marvellous hotel, brilliant find and well worth every penny!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2009

The hotel is in a very good location which was close to a few restaurants, cafes and bars as well as the Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery. The room itself was small but newly renovated though the bathroom was fairly old. However, it was all spotlessly clean and well-appointed (i.e. mini bar, cd player, cable tv, complimentary chocs and sherry) as well as having very comfortable beds and being very quiet.

Unfortunatley, the elevator was broken and we were on a high floor but the reception staff were very helpful and assisted us with carrying luggage upstairs, advice and restaurant suggestions. There is also car parking (for a fee) which is handy with limited street parking.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends