“Nice hotel with one big problem.”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
London
“Nice hotel with one big problem.”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We arrived at the hotel at about 12:45 pm - a bit early for check-in but we thought it might be worth taking a chance. Apparently we were wrong, as we were told straight away to come back at 2pm, though they did offer to look after our bag for us. Now perhaps this was perfectly reasonable as all the rooms may well have been busy, but I would suggest that for the sake of customer service they could make a show of *checking* (or even just *pretending* to check!) that there were no free rooms before telling us. The end result would be the same, but the effect on the customer is quite different!

The room itself was fine, the staff were friendly, the decor interesting, the location was perfect (as we were going to the Banksy exhibition which is practically opposite the hotel); in fact on the card they asked us to fill in I could find nothing in their list that warranted anything other than high marks. However, I had one of the worst night's sleep that I can remember as the room (No 5) was so ridiculously HOT - my wife and I both slept without any sheets or blankets and with a window open (which consequently let in a fair amount of noise) and we were still boiling. The temperature outside was only about 15C, but inside the room it must have been twice that. We mentioned this to the reception staff the next morning and they were very apologetic and seemed surprised to hear it. I can't understand why it would have been different for us than it was for anybody else, so that was a bit of a mystery.

Other minor gripes - I wish hotels would stop putting those tiny mini-bar fridges in rooms that you can't use yourself. We had a couple of bottles of water that we would have liked to refrigerate, but we couldn't put them in the fridge without moving something that was already in there - and doing this would have triggered the automatic billing system (which would charge us £1.50 for a can of Coke!), so we didn't do it.

Also, when we checked in the receptionist asked us to sign a form and indicate which newspaper we liked to read. Maybe I'm naive, but I was slightly surprised to then be charged for the newspaper when checking out.

My wife, who is American, thinks this country has a long way to go in understanding customer service. The way the whole thing should have happened was that when we arrived early, the receptionist should have said "let me see if any rooms are available for you", gone away, come back and said "I'm terribly sorry but they are all busy at the moment, could you come back at 2pm?". End result: exactly the same, but we would at least have felt like they'd tried. The hotel should have charged us £1 extra for the room and given us the newspaper free. End result: exactly the same, but we would have felt like like the hotel was looking after us. After we complained about our terrible night's sleep, the hotel should have offered us a bottle of wine or something as compensation. End result: the hotel would be £4 or so down on the deal, but I would be recommending the hotel to everyone instead of writing this review. A few tiny things that really don't take much effort can make a big difference in the customer's perceptions and English hotels seem to be slow at getting this message.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I really liked this hotel. It was extremely clean, the lobby was funky and cool, and the room was well decorated. They had just discontinued the free sherry, which my husband and I were sad about, but our toddler son enjoyed the fruit bowl. The location is perfect for the university if you need to go there and the staff at the front desk were pleasant. The bed was the most comfortable of the 5 we slept on in England. Our stay would have benefitted from a/c to run overnight and free internet but other than that we were very happy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
West country
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I stayed at The Berkeley Square hotel in Clifton 2 days ago and must admit was slightly worried what I might find having read some of the earlier guest reviews on this site - but i felt i had to write this and set things straight - were they writing about a different hotel? I have never had such a pleasant stay - the hotel was charming, modern, clean, a unique, bohemian and artistic ambience with friendly staff that couldn't do enough for me. The food was excellent and one can have anything off the menus for room service - which along with breakfast was on time and absolutely delicious! - and I am fussy!
The room was charming, well appointed, all mod cons and little extras which gave a lovely unique touch - and an excellent view of the garden.
I would recommend this charming boutique hotel which is right in the middle of Clifton, to anyone and everyone - and I can't wait to go there again!
A marvellous hotel, brilliant find and well worth every penny!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 18, 2009

The hotel is in a very good location which was close to a few restaurants, cafes and bars as well as the Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery. The room itself was small but newly renovated though the bathroom was fairly old. However, it was all spotlessly clean and well-appointed (i.e. mini bar, cd player, cable tv, complimentary chocs and sherry) as well as having very comfortable beds and being very quiet.

Unfortunatley, the elevator was broken and we were on a high floor but the reception staff were very helpful and assisted us with carrying luggage upstairs, advice and restaurant suggestions. There is also car parking (for a fee) which is handy with limited street parking.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Derby
Reviewed December 14, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for business reasons and wished I had not. On the outside the hotel appears very 'quaint', please dont be fooled!! I am not a seasoned hotel 'stayer', but please belive me this hotel is something else....and I do not mean in a good way!!

Firstly the staff are very arrogant and not very friendly at all, tried to contact them on the hotel phone on many occasions, but no answer.
Do not book a room here if you are frightened of enclosed spaces, the rooms are no bigger than a prison cell, the heating did not work properly and my room was freezing all night.
The bathroom is even smaller, the shower did not work, just spat water out in a stream. I was not pleased at all, but the worst was yet to come.
When i got up (freezing) the next morning, I realised I was not alone in the room......I noticed a cockroach on the table top (alive) and looking very well fed. I caught it and took it to reception, were the receptionist was as scared as I was!!
Needless to say, I made extensive checks of my stuff before packing, didnt want to take any unwelcome visitors home!!
I refused to pay for the room and left.
This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Liked — Nothing at all
  • Disliked — The cockroaches
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Leeb7613

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2008

My son and I was booked into the Clifton Hotel..from Dec 19-Jan 3 2007..when we arrived there they told us that the Hotel was being renovated..so they said that they booked us into another Hotel...The Berkleley Sq Hotel Clifton.

There was no heat at all..it was freezing..and there was red Hot towel rack in the bathroom that we burnt ourselves a number of times..this rack was placed in a very stupid position .

We both contacted Pneumonia in this room my son was even Hospitalized.

The staff were in another planet .. and could not converse with them..they were so stuck up.

The elevator was out of service a number of times..

I would not recommend this place at all..

• Liked — close to shops and suspension bridge
  • Disliked — No PR not listening to our complaints at all
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank maro4444
Surrey
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I booked this hotel 5 weeks prior to arrival via telephone. Two days before I phoned to confirm the booking and was told all was fine and they were expecting us. We arrived at the hotel at 4pm to be told that they had a large party coming and had booked us into the Marriot in Bristol. We explained that we had chosen their hotel as we wanted a small boutique hotel and not chain. I could not understand how they did not have a room for us even though I had booked several weeks in advance and phoned to confirm less than 48 hours beforehand. It seems that they had a large Party and wanted their custom more than ours. They offered us a complimentary meal in their restaurant but we didn't want to tramp back there on a rainy evening, especially as our custom meant so little to them. However the Royal Marriott was excellent and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple