“Started well, but then downhill all the way!!”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Salisbiry
“Started well, but then downhill all the way!!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

In Bristol for a concert so looking forward to a comfortable nights stay!
We retired just before midnight only to find that our room (No 3) was next door to the function room where a wedding reception/disco was in full swing. Horrendous!!
As we were unable to contact the receptionist by phone - it did not work - I went to the reception to ask for a change of room, but was advised that there were no other rooms available (!!). I then spoke with the OFF site duty manager, who although apologetic, stated that she was unfamiliar with the hotel. She did offer a reduction in room price and a free breakfast but added that as a matter of courtesy, the hotel always contacted guests 24hours prior to their stay to advice them of any functions. We received no such call. Moreover any such call would have been a tokenistic gesture as our plans had already been made.
The room was small, the bed linen had a hole in it and the carpet on entering the room was worn as was the carpet near the bathroom door. The minibar/refrigerator did not appear to work and we had to ask for fresh milk.
The receptionists were polite and helpful but they too, failed to advise us of the wedding, although one did say that room 3 should be allocated to those attending the wedding. All in all a disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the lower deck - particularly Room 3.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy R, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Ros K,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel, all guest feedback is appreciated whether good or bad. I would like to start off by apologising for the disruption you experienced due to noise from the Square bar during your stay. Obviously providing a comfortable nights sleep for guests is our number one priority so I really am sorry that this was not the experience you had. We do aim to contact all guests to inform them of any events that are occuring during their stay and confirm any special requirements and I apologise that you did not receive this. The hotel is running a rolling refurbishment and it may weel be the case that this particular room needs some attention. I will certainly be spending some time looking into this. If you would like to discuss your stay with myself, I would appreciate any further feedback you could provide. Please contact me directly on 0117 925 4000 - It is only by discussing such issues that we can move forward and better our services.

Kind regards,
Amy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I must admit that my wife and I were expecting slightly more for the price of the room, but the Berkeley Square does supply a pleasent place to stay whilst in Bristol. The room was quite small and the ensuite bathroom even smaller, but it was clean and comfortable and everything worked. The complimentary Bristol Cream Sherry is a nice touch! The breakfast was excellent with a good choice to choose from. The hotel does offer off street parking which is good, but this is across the square in a tight for space lock-up with quite a steep entrance, so if you have a sporty car or larger than normal vehicle be warned that you may struggle to use it.

Room Tip: Warning - My cousin stayed in one of the basement rooms downstairs beside the 'The Square Club...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Andrew F,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I'm glad you had a pleasant stay here with us. It's nice to hear you found the room clean and comfortable, albeit on the small side. We do have varying room sizes throughout the hotel so perhaps if you were to stay with us again we could find a room more to your suiting. I will be sure to pass on your comments about breakfast to our breakfast chef who will be delighted to hear them. We do find our secure car park to be very popular with guests as parking in the city centre can be very difficult!
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was in Bristol just for a night on business. I have stayed in Bristol a couple of times but just stayed in the corporate chains in the center. Thought I would try the Berkeley Square Hotel as it was in a really handy location for me. I was very impressed, the hotel reception and lounge area are very stylish with interesting artwork giving it a 'boutique' feeling. The room was clean and comfortable and provided everything I needed. The staff were really friendly and recommended an excellent Indian restaurant close by! All in all a really pleasant overnight stay and I will definitely return for any future trips to Bristol!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Amy R, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Laura R,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us - we are in a great location for those wanting to be right in the heart of the city! I’m glad you enjoyed the boutique atmosphere of the Hotel, we do aim to provide a different experience from the more corporate style hotels so I’m glad you found this to be the case. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the rest of the team who will be thrilled to hear them. We hope to see you again if you are ever in Bristol.

Many Thanks,
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't have asked for a more perfect wedding day than we had at the Berkeley Square Hotel, it was a very hot day 06.07.13 but everything was superb. All our guests kept saying and still do 'how much they enjoyed themselves'....the staff were fantastic especially Lianna Francis the Private Events Coordinator. The ceremony was simple and perfect for us, not fussy and perfect for our 54 guests. The food was AMAZING we chose the party menu as we had to keep costs down and what a wonderful 3 courses for £25/head it was! Pimms after the photos in the square's gardens enjoyed on the terrace was one of my highlights and most of our guests didn't want to come inside. Hotel rooms were lovely too, absolutely no complaints and thanks to the outstanding value for money at the Berkeley we managed to keep our wedding overall cost to £10k including the 5 star Cretian honeymoon!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ellebellyboo,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. It’s so lovely to hear that the Berkeley Square was part of making your wedding day special! I will be sure to pass on your comments to the rest of the team who will be delighted to hear them. We are very lucky to be situated on the lovely Berkeley Square, especially in summer when the gardens can be enjoyed to the fullest. I hope you had a fantastic honeymoon in Crete and we wish you all the best for the future.

Warm Regards,
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Very good central location for Bristol, very happy with stay, buffet breakfast was perfect, staff excellent, and the best kept secret was the Sunday roast in the Square restaurant, by far the best Sunday roast in Bristol....this was the comment made by my daughter, who we were visiting as she has tried many (she has lived in Bristol for 7 years) car park facilities worth every penny extra to the room, which we booked. Overall very happy with our one night stay.

Room Tip: Our room was quite small, but clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Amy R, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Angie H,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. It’s lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are in a great central location, and our secure garage is great for those driving to us as parking in the city centre can be difficult! I will be sure to pass your feedback on to the rest of the staff who will be delighted to hear them - especially the comments about the Sunday roast!

Many Thanks,
West Midlands
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Just checked out thankfully from this hotel - one nights stay. My Executive single room was tiny, walls paper thin. The bed was made up with sheets, blanket and bed spread (Yuk)! When I went to my room there was no heating on and it was cold, I rang reception - no answer. I went to reception to explain my room was cold and the heating does not switch on, I was asked if I would like another blanket?! I was then given the key to change to another room, which was hardly any better and the TV didn't work. I stayed in the original room!! Horrible - for £70 I feel I have been ripped off. Don't be fooled by the 'boutique' style ground floor reception rooms - the bedrooms from what I have just experienced do not match up.

Room Tip: The single rooms really are single!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SarahWestMidlands
Dear SarahWestMidlands,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our single rooms are not overly spacious, but rather cosy and aimed at the solo traveller who is happy with a smaller space. I apologise for the fact the heating was not working in your room, this issue has now been addressed. I’m glad you found the communal areas to have the boutique style that we aim for. You are correct that the rooms are slightly different in style, although we do aim to add little extra touches such as the complimentary fresh fruit and sherry. Our rooms are designed to be clean and comfortable, therefore have a more modern look to them.

Kind regards,
Amy

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Check in was quick and efficient, all the reception staff were helpful and polite through out the stay. Room was spacious see photo and bed linen and towels all spotless and fresh. Bathroom and room very clean with a lovely selection of fresh fruit, fresh coffee and sherry. Shower was large and nice and powerful. Double glazed windows so even in a busy city got a very peaceful nights sleep. Room was at the front of the hotel so lovely view overlooking the gardens in the square. The one down side was the parking outside the hotel is only for two hours at a time during the day although from six pm till eight am ...beware the parking attendants they were round at exactly eight o clock in the morning and issued tickets to most of the cars despite the fact that I had paid via the phone service!! Great location close to the main centre.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel seem to offer the best views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Amy R, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Lianne186,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are in an excellent location for those looking to be in the heart of the city and we also have the bonus of our front facing rooms overlooking the lovely Berkeley Square garden. Parking in the centre of Bristol can be difficult. Fortunately we do have a private car park for guest use charged at £7 per night as an alternative to the metered parking on the Square. That way you do not have to worry about setting your alarm to avoid the 8 o’clock traffic warden!

Many thanks