“Best Value Hotel in Bristol”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #32 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Beautiful location opposite a lovely grass square. Simply the best customer service I have ever received in Bristol! As a frequent business traveler i usually stay in 4 or 5 star hotels.However i am currently between flats so had an extended stay of 11 days I had to pick a budget option. I really feel that this hotel is outstanding value for money.. i have stayed in an executive single room which is small but perfectly formed and well equipped even had a DVD player and stereo. The secure garage parking at £7 per night is a total bonus.
But most of all it is the staff who have made my stay so great. Everyone I have encountered from reception, bar housekeeping etc have been truly fabulous, so kind and accommodating. it is such a rare thing these days when ones expectations are exceeded. Well done to all at The Berkeley Square- keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Go for second floor or higher facing the beautiful square
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Amy R, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Sue G,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. It was lovely to read your review, we do pride ourselves on excellent customer service so I’m glad you found this to be the case. Our single rooms are perfect for those looking for just enough space for one, but still providing comfort and all the amenities you could need.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Good hotel in the centre of Bristol. Ideal for seeing the area and for socialising in the city.
Good quality breakfast and great service. Fresh coffee and fruit in the room was a nice touch as was a small decanter of Bristol sherry.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike826

Dear Mike826,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. Really glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We always aim to provide a comfortable stay and excellent customer service so it’s good to hear this was the case. I’m also pleased that you enjoyed the fruit and sherry in your room!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel is supposedly 4 star but it is nothing like any other 4 star I have ever been to. The rooms are shabby and extremely small. Carpets in the corridors are in urgent need of replacement. I had booked an executive single room and found myself in an extremely small room with a tiny single bed, an awful mattress and a blanket that had definitely seen better days. The minibar was not working properly and even worse, during a night summer storm, there were massive leaks in the corridors just outside my rooms that triggered the fire alarm at 4am in the night one day. Even worse than that, the hotel staff on duty decided to visit rooms in the middle of the night without even knocking at the door. Basically someone entered my room at 4.30am and, despite complaining at reception the day after, I did not get any apology or compensation on my departure. For days after the storm the carpets outside my room were wet and there was an incredible stench that made staying in the room almost unbearable. All together, a terrible experience that I would not recommend to anyone. The Berkeley is definitely not a 4 star hotel and its below expectations in every aspect. I would not recommend any business traveller to stay there but for the location which is extremely central. Still there are so many other hotels in Bristol to choose from that I cannot see a reason why anyone might want to stay there. I will definitely avoid this hotel in the future.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank mariodibi

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am sorry you had such an unfortunate experience of the hotel, the flood you experienced is very much a one off occurrence and the underlying maintenance issues have been addressed to prevent this from happening again. We have been in contact since this review and you have now been issued a full refund for your stay, apologies it took some time to get that sorted, I was under the impression that a refund had been given immediately on check out. We do have an ongoing refurbishment project running throughout the hotel so hopefully we will be able to address the issues you had with your room.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here with my wife and young baby on one of the hottest days of the year. Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't have air conditioning, which meant the room was stifflingly hot. The hotel staff looked after us excellently - called beforehand to confirm the provision of a cot (no extra charge), of parking, gave us a first floor room not far from the lift, allowed my wife late check out at no extra charge (I think there is usually a charge for this though!), organized a tray for me so I could take her breakfast upstairs, allowed us to use the car park late at no extra charge (again, I think this is usually charged for). The room wasn't palatial, but was large enough for my baby to play on the floor and run around without us tripping over her. Breakfast was excellent. Overall, this is my second stay to a Clifton Hotel. There's plenty of nice touches, and plenty to find fault with if your life is long enough for nitpicking. Both times the staff have made the stay a pleasant one.

PS. I'm putting sleep quality as poor due to combination of baby and hot weather. Apart from providing air conditioning and Calpol in the minibar, there's not much the hotel could do about that!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RikRaccoon

Dear RikRaccoon,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you found our staff accommodating and helpful. We did have some very hot summer days this year and I’m sorry this meant your room was hot during your stay. We do aim to provide a comfortable stay with all the amenities you need. Our reception team are always happy to bring a fan to your room and provide you with plenty of ice for your drinks!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We booked two rooms to stay in during my daughter's graduation. Although pre-reserving parking in their dedicated parking garage I was informed on arrival that the car park was full, no explanation, no apology. We were rushing to get ready and on;y had an hour so had to use the parking meters outside which needed refilling every two hours. I asked if I could be informed if a space became available but was looked at rather blankly and not to my surprise no space materialised.

Then the rooms.... could not swing a cat, very small and overpriced for the price, warm fridge so no cold drinks, no air-conditioning so we were sweltering. No milk or sugar for our coffee.
We could not go in the bar or the restaurant as they were both being used for a wedding so we could not use the hotel facilities and were given no reduction in the room rate to compensate.

While at the graduation ceremony we planned for my partner to take my daughter for a swim at the Nuffiled but were looked at as if we were from Mars when I asked about this at reception. They claimed to know nothing about it until someone in the back office overheard me questioning the receptionist and came out to explain that we could get in for £7 a head - not a great deal!

Not a fantastic experience!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your stay. I am also very disappointed to hear about the customer service you received as I always receive such good reviews on the team but we have had people training. I will be passing your comments on to them in our next reception meeting to find out what happened.

It is great that summer has finally arrived although with this heat wave it does get quite hot in the hotel and we don’t have air conditioning. However, we do have a supply of fans at reception for guests to use. We can also provide you with plenty of ice for your drinks.

Our deal with Nuffield Gym is 50% off their day pass, usually this costs £15 but our hotel guests can get the reduced rate. Unfortunately that is the best deal they can do for us but you they do have a gym, classes, sauna, steam room and a lovely pool.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Now I try to give an honest review of wherever I stay these days. If it is good, then I will say, if it is bad, I will also say. I'll also tell the people running the place as to how my stay went...

..This time it didn't happen as I did not have enough time to stay and chat as I had to leave for the train.

I was first surprised to see how central the location was and how boutique the hotel was. I found the bar area very nice and the charm of the place kind of overwhelmed me a bit as I was not expecting something like this.

I was parked up on the top floor with a view of bricks out of the window. The room was no bigger than my downstairs toilet but after all I wasn't here to throw a big party I just needed somewhere comfortable, warm and with a good choice of breakfast in the morning.

The carpet in the whole room was down to the thread specially at the entrance to the room. Walking into the room to plonk my bag down on what little floor space I had I ventured to the bathroom. In the bathroom was a bottle of 'foaming bathroom cleaner', I'm not sure if this was a sign to clean the bathroom myself as it had clearly not been anywhere near the shower head as it was full of grime. Honestly a simple scale on a yearly basis of the shower will keep it pristine and avoid reviews like this.

On the plus side the tea making facilities there were nice and adequate but the brandy left on the table in the glass bottle was a nice twist but looked a bit like vinegar and I was looking around for the salt to put on my chips. Is the brandy (was it even brandy) fresh for every hotel guest? Are hotel guests meant to drink it? What has been done to it before fromt he previous guest? So many questions for something of absolutely no value to a guest whatsoever. A bottle of Ale or a fresh bottle of water would be more satisfying.

The evening went and morning came and I wake up to what was the worst nights sleep ever. The blanket was some sort of wool which resembled what Jesus was wrapped up in in Jerusalem when he was born. The mattress springs have seen better days and I thought I would be accused of thieving as most of them were still stuck in my back when I left the hotel. The best part of the bed though was the mystery door hidden underneath the mattress propping the bed base up. Now I am a keen explorer and I love finding hidden things but I was reluctant to open the door underneath the mattress incase some monsters came out like in 'Trapdoor'. If I had have found it the night before I would have opened it and possibly found a secret passageway leading to the bar with loads of naked girls.

Giving it's due breakfast was 'nice' bit better than 'OK' but not as good as 'good'.

In summary the hotel tries to be something it is not because the botique frontage when you enter which surprises you really is nothing compared to the surprises behind the bedroom door.

Would I stay here again? It short: No. It's really going to take some convincing to get me to part with my money when I stay in Bristol again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Godscrasher
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear "Godscrasher",

I am very sorry to read your comments about your stay with us at The Berkeley. We are constantly refurbishing our rooms, and so perhaps this room needs to be a priority when making our refurbishing plans. Along with this, many of our rooms have Vi Spring mattresses which are very comfortable and renowned for the excellent quality. I also apologise for what you found when arriving to your room - this has not been heard of before, and so I have bought it up with our housekeeping team to ensure this does not happen again.

In regards to the "brandy", each guest is welcomed by a complimentary tray of fresh tea, coffee, fruit and Sherry in the room. Many guests enjoy this package and so it is sad to hear you did not.

Many guests comment on the boutique charm The Berkeley has, and appreciate the atmosphere here. I would therefore like to offer you a discount on your next stay, if you do decide to stay again, in the hope of showing you a better visit. Please contact me on 0117 9734000 if you are interested.

Many thanks.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just two nights in this little Boutique, and they were on quiet Monday and Tuesday, which meant not many in the bar or restaurant.
I found the place very comfortable, well appointed and the whole team of the staff were really kind, polite and helpful. Its been some time since I had a single room, and this was just fine.
The 'solitude' of the bar and restaurant gave me the opportunity to meet and mix with the team, so my special thanks must go to Gavin (fantastic food), Josh and Frank for putting up with me.
I aim to be back in a couple of weeks.

Room Tip: Find out if there are functions (weddings) and stay away from the back rooms?
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Roger P

Dear "Roger P",

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, it is much appreciated. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the reception team to be helpful, we pride ourselves on our service. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your time spent in The Square, I agree with you, they serve fantastic food!

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you soon.