“Clean and tidy with friendly straff”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #33 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Basildon
“Clean and tidy with friendly straff”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I was on a 3 day course next door, so a two night stay was required and this was the closest hotel. Whilst I chose it for convenience it proved to be a very good choice. Staff were very friendly and professional. Even though I arrived too early for check in they took my bag and placed it in my room ready for when I did check in later on.
I included breakfast on my booking and arrived each morning to be greeted by the friendly and may I say probably the most prettiest waitress I've seen. Bonus! The full english was offered with a choice of how you wanted your eggs, scrambled, poached or fired. Toast was offered in white or brown form. Small details but nice to have options. The dining area was clean and the service efficient and charming. The dinner menu looked very nice but I had alternative arrangements so i didnt get to try it.
The bar area is very bohemian and typical of a boutique hotel. Sadly it was empty when I was there despite near full occupation of the hotel.
My room was very clean and the mini bar was stocked and the usual gratuities supplied.
If there is a criticism I'd say it was the outside area. My room overlooked this and it looked very tired from up there with a dirty umbrella over the table and crockery left out there for over a day.
Overall though a pleasant stay with attentive, polite staff and a relaxed atmosphere. I have no hesitation in recommending the Berkeley Square Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank David J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
London
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was visiting the university for a few days, and the Berkeley Square hotel is a perfect location just 5 minutes from where I wanted to be. For the price, this is a really nice hotel with good facilities. The price-tag is of a budget hotel, but the style and location are much better than you'd normally get. Sure the rooms are small and the decor in the rooms is fairly basic. But the lounge and restaurant are stylish, and the staff are all extremely efficient and helpful (and also most of them are totally gorgeous). Breakfast was very good (and good value). Hotel was fairly quiet, though you can hear some sounds from adjacent rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank hg67as
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear "hg67as",

Thank you for your review on the Berkeley Square Hotel! It is great to hear your comments and I have passed them on to my team.

Thanks again for taking the time to feedback and we look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

Kind Regards
Loughborough
Reviewed June 5, 2013

6 of us met in Bristol and stayed one night at the Berkeley Square Hotel. It is ideally situated in the centre of Bristol but on a quiet square. Has garage parking available at a reasonable rate. Attentive staff and excellent food. Would highly recommend for value and comfort

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Ruth W
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am so glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I shall pass your comments on to my team.

Many Thanks

Ellie Fisk
Hotel Manager
Arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Spent a long week-end (3 nights) staying at the hotel and attending a wedding. The wedding was a great party, the wedding meal very good (a spit roasted pig!) and the staff friendly and helpful.
Our stay was a bit of a curates egg. The room was in the basement beside the bar and inevitably noisy at times; but we knew that when we booked it. The Berkeley Square positions itself as small boutique hotel but there were 3 things which let it down :
1. The fridge in our room was broken when we arrived and remained so through our stay in spite of reporting it on the evening when we arrived.
2. Internet access is charged as an extra.
3. There were 3 weddings on at the hotel and on the day we ere checking out, the reception was very busy. The manager took our luggage into his office as our taxi was coming at 2pm and we vacated our room at 11am. We went off for lunch returning to settled the bill and collect our luggage. I was asked to pay a late checkout surcharge.
These small things marred a very pleasant stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Douglas B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on the Berkeley Square Hotel. We have now introduced wifi as complimentary to our hotel guests.
I apologise for the accidental late check out charge, I assume this wasn’t actually charged to your card once you informed reception that you had vacated the room at 11am. If this isn’t the case please contact me at the hotel so I can issue a refund.
Thanks again for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel.
Ellie Fisk
Hotel Manager
southampton
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding recently, was a little dubious on other reviews, but had a lovely room, good size overlooking the square (room 9). Was here for a wedding, which went on in the bar downstairs, which was very nice :)
One note, if I wasn't attending the wedding think it may have been quite noisy, especially as the garden closed early so we were outside the front chatting loudly ! That didn't seem a good idea for other guests.
Also no milk or sugar in the room , little touches but shame as didn't have the first cuppa on arrival !
But friendly staff, clean, and amazing wedding!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Digsp
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at The Berkeley Square Hotel. I am sorry to read that the sugar and milk was missed from your room, I have brought this up with my house manager. Our 24 hour reception are always on hand in the rare case of anything missing.
The area outside the bar in the front of the hotel is only open occassionally as a smoking area so when people do go outside it is only for 5 minutes at a time. We also courtesy call all our guests to see if they specifically need a quiet room when an event is on so that we can allocate them a room on the higher floors.

Thanks again for taking the time to review the hotel.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have recently been to the square for a wedding and had a lovely day/evening. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the food was delicious and the venue was perfect for the occasion. Had a fantastic day. Highly recommend Berkeley Square Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Kathanners19
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and feedback. I have passed this on to my team and also the wedding coordinator.

Kind Regards

Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel (last time, 18 months ago, based on Tripadvisor reviews), and there is no change (thankfully). It is still excellent in terms of the rooms, meals, service, and I hope they don't change anything. If I was to make any criticism, then it would be that the breakfast lounge is a tad warm. It is perfect for visitors to the university.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank iljumittajjeb
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review, I am glad you enjoy your stays at the Berkeley Square Hotel. Please don't hesitate to ask reception to allocate a room you particularly favour. I shall pass your comments on to the breakfast team.

Many Thanks