“Where have the nightingales gone?”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Where have the nightingales gone?”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This was our second stay at the BSH. The first time was about six years ago and we were disappointed that a property with so much scope and character has been allowed to go downhill. First the positives: great location and quiet if you ask for a room at the back. Our room was large and there were nice touches with the complimentary sherry decanter and fruit, selection of teas and a cafetiere for fresh coffee. The place also has a "relaxed" vibe but with a slight tendency to complacency as the service was courteous but slightly reluctant, as though the "ubercool" staff were doing you a favour. They probably are students wishing to top up their loan rather than professionally trained. Where the hotel falls down is on cleanliness. I am not OCD about cleaning but I would gladly have attacked the woodwork and radiator in the bathroom where there were suspicious stains and ingrained dust. The grouting was mouldy and the shower unit lime encrusted. In the bedroom, the walls needed refreshing and the curtains, bedspread and sofa felt grubby. The brass fittings on the doors of common areas also definitely needed a good polish. The Clifton Hotel to which the BS belongs does not have much competition in this part of town and this may explain why the management is not trying to establish higher standards of cleaning and maintenance. It is a pity as the BSH and its sister properties have real boutique hotel potential. The hotel online site quoted £125.00 per night without breakfast and I am glad I shopped around because our room definitely was not worth that kind of money. In the end I was able to secure an £82.00 deal which offered better value for money although some hotels downtown near the river offer better customer satisfaction overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back as they are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Another great stay in the Berkeley Square Hotel, but still no nightingale singing. Seriously - does what it says on the tin. The location is great and staff are very friendly.Hotel has everything including loads of character.My single room was very small, but it has everything that you need and I don't really spend ant time there. There was a party going on there (which we were warned about in advance) but I didn't hear anything from the first floor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Good location, very close to the university, and not far from the city center. Smallish room, but correct. Friendly staff. Main con was I had to pay for wireless connection, and it was neither fast nor reliable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Hotel is well situated for the university but it was just too noisy. The plumbing kept me awake on the first night and on the second the on-site bar was too loud until 1am. When I raised this the staff were very nice and offered to move rooms for me but it was still noisy. As I say people and place was nice just difficult to sleep. They did remove the charge for parking for one night.

• Stayed December 2012
Ewen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We had our christmas party here on 8th December there were 14 of us & all of us really enjoyed it. The food was very good & the staff were really friendly & most helpful. We did go down to the "club" after the meal to have a drink & dance it was good fun.Two of us stayed in single rooms on the top floor & we thought they were really cosy everything we needed was there,we both slept very well as it was very quiet. The breakfast was a treat good service & we were not rushed, all in all I have to say it was a good night,so good that we are going back for our Christmas party next year!
A lovely find in a very easy location, well done to all the staff & thank you.

Room Tip: Top floor as it was really quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

If you want a quiet night at the weekend give this one a miss, raging disco until 1 am, however on the strength of that I did negotiate a free breakfast. The walls are paper thin and you can hear all the neighbours plumbing descend through the building, not very calming. However the Square itself is very lovely.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I recently stayed at the Berkeley Square Hotel, having been there a number of years ago. I was sorry to see that the high standards of before seemed to have dropped (broken shower holder in my room for example). The room, always small, now feel claustrophobic - I suppose the standards across the industry have left places like this behind. I was on business over a weekend and suffered from a noisy party on the Friday and a very late wedding party on the Saturday. I seems to me that this type of institution needs to decide what it is it is offering as it's really not on to treat regular guests the way our group was treated (we should have been told on booking and offered the opportunity to book elsewhere). My other gripe is the shower curtain. We all know that hot air rises and cold air comes rushing in. Add that to a cheap and light shower curtain and you find yourself being psychoed (attached by a cold and unhappy shower curtain)! It doesn't cost much to either buy a heavy single curtain or to invest in a double curtain - as our US friends have been doing for decades!

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room - as it happened it would have been good (at the back of the hotel) but for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business