“Not a place for a quiet weekend away!”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Reading, United Kingdom
“Not a place for a quiet weekend away!”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I recently stayed at the Berkeley Square Hotel, having been there a number of years ago. I was sorry to see that the high standards of before seemed to have dropped (broken shower holder in my room for example). The room, always small, now feel claustrophobic - I suppose the standards across the industry have left places like this behind. I was on business over a weekend and suffered from a noisy party on the Friday and a very late wedding party on the Saturday. I seems to me that this type of institution needs to decide what it is it is offering as it's really not on to treat regular guests the way our group was treated (we should have been told on booking and offered the opportunity to book elsewhere). My other gripe is the shower curtain. We all know that hot air rises and cold air comes rushing in. Add that to a cheap and light shower curtain and you find yourself being psychoed (attached by a cold and unhappy shower curtain)! It doesn't cost much to either buy a heavy single curtain or to invest in a double curtain - as our US friends have been doing for decades!

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room - as it happened it would have been good (at the back of the hotel) but for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I came to Bristol to visit some old Uni friends and got a really good deal here booking a couple of weeks ahead. The receptionists were great and the location was perfect. My room wasn’t huge but had everything I needed and a really good powerful shower which was great in the morning. I met my friends in the bar downstairs where I had one of the best cocktails I've ever had. I’m coming back to Bristol in a few weeks and will definitely stay here again - far better than some of the other places I’ve stayed in the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

It was cold when I arrived and I was given a basement room with no heating. I was quickly moved to the room next door which had a better feel to it and lots of heat. The water is also very hot.
The decor is a bit old but everything was clean. Free biscuits and fresh fruit. Wireless is not free and very annoying because you keep getting bumped off and have to log on again and again.
Breakfast is good especially for healthy options. Fresh fruit yoghurt dried fruit nuts. I had a cooked veggie breakfast one day which was fine.
Being in the basement meant I had a quiet and peaceful stay over firework period which I had not expected. The most noise was 5 mins of laughter from the people in the next room.
Staff are helpful and polite.

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was the second time I'd stayed in this hotel. The room was clean and the bed was firm and comfortable. Good shower / bath. Complimentary decanter of good sherry and bowl of fruit.

The breakfast was very good - buffet for items that are OK in a buffet, such as cereals and mini croissants, pains aux raisins etc - and very good ones. Excellent choice for cooked breakfast which was cooked and brought to you rather than a buffet with tasteless stuff. My bacon, poached eggs and sausage were excellent as was my colleague's waffles, bacon and maple syrup.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have stayed here before: it has style (if getting a bit shabby) and a great location in the heart of the lively part of Bristol. This time, however, will probably be the last. The heating in my late booked £66 per night "executive" single room did not work. My guess is that it has not worked for some time and no-one was too bothered until the weather got colder.

The room was cold when I arrived and the heating did not respond to the thermostat on the wall. Reception at first offered to move me to another room. When I had repacked and returned to the desk downstairs with my luggage the receptionist decided to tell me that even though the rest of the hotel seemed almost over-warm the heating "boost" did not come on until 6pm, in October, in England. Yeah, right. The receptionist then said she would talk to the manager and soon afterwards advised me that the "boost" had been switched on early at 5pm and the room would be warm within 15-20 minutes. It was not and the radiator remained stone cold for my entire stay. Eventually I got a fan heater - not impressive.

When taking the customer for an idiot and then lying to him is considered a good way to operate a hotel, it really tells us to steer clear. Probably that's my my advice now for the Berkeley Square I'm afraid.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear guest,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointing stay with us. I can confirm that our maintenance team have fixed the problem with the radiator. We haven’t had a problem with our heating since winter has approached and I’m extremely sorry your radiator wasn’t working for your stay.

With regards to how your situation was handled I can only sincerely apologise as this isn’t our usual standard of customer service. The receptionist that dealt with your situation is new to our team and was unsure about the heating therefore after calling me she found out how to boost the heating in your room. Since reading your review I have held a training session with my team on how to deal with problems similar to these.

I would like to speak to you directly about this situation and offer you a discount on your stay so please feel free to call me on 0117 925 4000.

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel is in a great location in a very quiet square near the city centre. It is within easy reach of museums restaurants and shops. The restaurant at the hotel was top quality , even if a little pricey, great for that occasion..

Room Tip: There is a club in the basement. Ask for a quiet room to avoid late night music
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KiamaraKid
Monmouthshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I've been staying here for about 5 years now. Slap-bang in the middle of town, right next to the university. Small 'boutique' style hotel. Rooms are small but comfy, the decanter of sherry is a nice touch. It's a little expensive, but it is city center. My only real peeve is the £2 per hour for wifi. In this day and age it should be free and to charge £2 an houris a real rip off, especially when the room will have cost your somewhere around £100. They have a secure garage for parking, well worth it at £7 for 24 hours in a student city if you have a decent motor. Anyway, it suits my needs when in Bristol.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BrianMPowell
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay here again.

It is common for the top rated hotels in Bristol to charge for wi-fi, for example the Marriott, Ramada, and Novotel to name just a few. We charge half the price for our 24 hour price (at just £5) than these hotels. We don't include wi-fi charges in our room rate so that we aren't charging those guests who don't use wi-fi for an unused service. This means we are able to keep our room only rates down making us one of the most competitively priced boutique hotels in Bristol.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing the Berkeley Square Hotel 5 years in a row. Our team looks forward to your stay again next year.