“Nice stay”

Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Nice stay”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Spent a night here catching up with a friend. The hotel looks tired from the outside, but inside looks nice. I had a city view room on a high floor as requested. I checked in on my phone and everything was ready and waiting for me. Didn't even need to sign anything!

The executive lounge was nice. Between 5pm & 9pm, free beer and wine is served. I drank the white wine which was surprisingly nice. They was some finger food, but they could have had some more sweet snacks out, maybe popcorn? I had breakfast from the lounge and sat on the terrace. Very nice as it was a sunny morning.

Room Tip: City facing. Not sure what the other view is, but my city view room was nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

We very much hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

holly.garnett@marriotthotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cornwall
Reviewed July 12, 2014

When we arrived there was a large wedding party. I usually hate this in hotels as they tend to take over but I thought the hotel did a very good job of seperating the wedding from the rest of the guests. As such it wasn't an issue. Our room was on the top floor with good views over the city. Beds very comfortable and bathroom was fine if a little dated. Air conditioning units were too noisy but I believe these are soon to be replaced. Staff were very pleasant and attentive and the food in the restaurant was generally good. Just one complaint. The sausages at breakfast were revolting! Everything else was fine just not sure what was going on with the sausages. They tasted almost gone off!
Leisure club was good with a nice big jacuzzi. Pool was fine if a slightly unusual layout.
Overall a very good stay, they just need to sort the sausages!

Room Tip: High floor away from the lifts
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. At Marriott, we strive to offer all of our guests high levels of service and it is fantastic to hear that this is what you experienced during your stays with us.

With regards to the air conditioning units, I can confirm that we will be getting them replaced in all of our bedrooms, with work starting in the near future. This will result in quieter units that produce either hot or cold air at a much faster rate than the ones that we currently have in our bedrooms.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to strive to deliver exceptional service.

We very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon, and if I can ever be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2014

You always know you will have a great stay in most Marriott Hotel 's.

Bristol City Centre Hotel, is not the most appealing Hotel from the outside, however inside it is very lovely, presentable and clean.

Staff are helpful, and polite.

Car Park a not the greatest but it's ok considering it's a City Centre one.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

If I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on the details below.

Crewe
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I've been stayed here for 7-8 years, not on business expenses, but spending my own money, when I visit my family, who live in Bristol.

The hotel is within 300 yards of Cabot's circus and a good selection of shops and restaurants, including a Brasserie, Blanc, Carluccio's and a Picollino amongst others. It's in a prime site.

I'm a Marriott rewards client, I have been for nearly 30 years. Internationally Marriott provide me with the basic facilities that I require, when there are no reasonable individual or small chain hotels on hand. So in Singapore I stayed at a Shangri-la hotel, for instance.

I have found the staff at the City Centre Marriott to be helpful and friendly, an absolute for me. The place is clean. The rooms provide the basic facilities that I expect with more space than most chained hotels. I've yet to experience stained sheets, towels that would be rejected from a charity shop and various items left behind by previous guests that have been overlooked by the cleaning staff. (I once found a used condom, on the floor, beside the bed in a room in a hotel under a competitors brand that will remain nameless. It was easily visible when I first walked in, and no it wasn't mine! - needless to say we walked out).

The only slight moan is that the a/c units in some of the rooms can be a little noisy, but hey! They're there and they work!

The rooms have a fridge but you'll need to stock it yourself

There are 3 lifts and at peak times it can take a while to summon a lift to descend to the ground floor or the Terrace level for breakfast, but most of the time they're quick.

Breakfast is the basic, standardised, American style buffet, serve yourself affair. Oh! How I hate those toast machines, first pass the toast is underdone and if one puts it through again it's "caramelised". Burnt in lay-speak. However, at least they don't have a tea/coffee machine. Tea/coffee is brought freshly made to the table and service is quick. The waitresses are good.

I tend to eat out whilst staying at the Marriott City Centre there's a plethora of excellent eateries in Bristol that I prefer to venture out too. Last visit we went to The Turtle Bay Caribbean Restaurant - wicked! The food, of an evening, at the Marriott City Centre is basic hotel food and my culinary ambitions are a little more diversified and ambitious.

The bar area is well laid out and there is one of those big chain coffee lounges. I think it's a Costa. I don't like Costa coffee or indeed the coffee from the other brand that it's alleged have been avoiding paying UK taxes!

The health club and pool are good with very good changing facilities. I've spent many a happy hour in the pool whilst looking after my grand daughter whilst her mother and father were at work. She loves the place.

I approve of the recent changes which have allowed general access to the outside terrace. Previously the outside terrace was only accessible through the Executive Lounge, and therefore only for the use of "the few". Well done Marriott.

The Marriott City Centre Hotel deserves it's 4* rating, I've yet to be disappointed by what's on offer. If you want a hotel that's at a level above this, there isn't one in Bristol, you'll have to go to Bath and stay at the Priory or the Royal Crescent at 3 - 4 times the price. Incidentally, the Bristol Marriott Royal is not better than the Marriott City Centre. I used to stay at The Royal, until 8 yrs ago when the place was ruined by an over ambitious upgrade, which, in my opinion, ruined the uniqueness of the place, also the environs on Fri/Sat night is awash with drunken students who make it impossible to get a good night sleep. also the area around the Royal is out on a limb. Park Street isn't what it used to be. so I changed my allegiances to the City Centre, about 8 yrs ago.

I intend to stay here on many more occasions, in the future. It has what I want and expect!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank John F
Thank for your review following your continued loyalty to the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We are so pleased to hear that, as a regular guest, you have experienced comfortable stays with high levels of service, which is what we strive to provide all of our guests.

With regards to the air conditioning units, I am happy to say that we will be getting them replaced in all of our bedrooms, with work starting shortly. This will result in quieter units that produce either hot or cold air at a much faster rate than the ones that we currently have in our bedrooms.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please feel free to contact me.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed here on business and found the hotel to be your standard Marriott. It was clean and comfortable and the gym and breakfast were both good. My only grumble is that Marriott still charge for the Wifi access. £15 for a 24 hour period for in room access, this day and age its rediculous as many hotels provide it for free. I would have scored it higher had they sorted this out. Otherwise no complaints

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments following your stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre.

Please be advised that our internet is complimentary in all of our public areas. In relation to internet in guest bedrooms, the charges are dictated to us by our provider to ensure that our guests experience high speed and high security internet access.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The stay was very good well located. It is set in an old 1970s building but very preventable inside. The only complaint is the layout of the pool, like a hexagon not ideal for swimmings lengths in.
Breakfast was of a good standard

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Everything we do is aimed at providing our guests with an excellent hotel experience and we are so pleased to hear that this was achieved during your stay.

We very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon and please do not hesitate to contact me on my details below if I can assist with you any future arrangements.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed for one night. If your doing a bit of shopping in Bristol then this is the hotel for you. Great location right in the middle of shops. We paid for an upgrade and had the executive lounge which was a nice treat. Breakfast was ok but had better in other Marriott hotels.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking City.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple