“Worth a visit”

Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Nottingham
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Beautiful building, and well appointed, clean rooms. Great service. Good location right next to the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Carpark is long, thin and located on a steep hill; I had to rescue a damsel in distress who had apparently been sat at the bottom for half an hour, unable to get out. You've been warned!

Only criticism - don't bother paying the extra for a "gorge view room" - it may just have been ours, but it was a postage stamp, dirty window that JUST gave a view of the bridge if you craned your neck... Not worth the cash.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Only criticism - don't bother paying the extra for a "gorge view room" - it may just h...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrew T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I am not normally a person who would complain on a site like this but I wish to share my experience, I booked afternoon tea for my mother for which it was her 80th birthday I went down in person to the hotel to book this and asked if they would supply a candle or plate with happy birthday on which I was told would be no problem and to mention it when I arrived on the day which I did, the table was booked for 2.30pm we arrived at 2.10 I explained that we were a bit early but was told that was ok and was taken to our table I was told that due to a large party our food would not be available until 2.30 which I said was fine the afternoon tea platter did not arrive until 2.55pm I then noticed that no jam had was with the scones which I had to go the to bar and obtain some I was given 3 small jars to take back to my table I also had to go to the bar to obtain some more milk, as no staff came to our table to see if everything was ok and when the afternoon tea was complete I paid the bill but as you can guess no birthday candle or plate arrived I mentioned this and was told "oh sorry we forgot"
I will not go to this hotel for afternoon tea again and will pass this onto my friends I wish I had now booked the Hotel du Vin
I have used this hotel before buto

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Steve H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My Daughter and I popped in for breakfast mid week. We both decided on "full english" as the buffet had already closed at 830am. How is it possible to get a classic English breakfast so wrong? Everything was cold and stuck to the plate. The sausage were like rubber slugs. the eggs were hard and cold. The coffee like dish water. What should have been a simple pleasure turned out to be a disappointment. The price of the breakfast clearly reflected the quality, only £13.00 for two.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank cmb9990

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Very friendly greeting on arrival. Staff were very welcoming and sorted out our check in very quickly. Also very helpful when we wanted a taxi to Bristol later in the evening. We went straight up to our room and found we had been upgraded to a gorge view room!
We were on the second floor with a fantastic view of the Clifton suspension bridge. Lovely big room, very clean and modern with a lovely big bathroom. The bed was very comfortable although I found the pillows were either too high or too low! The highlight was definitely lying in bed looking at the bridge first thing in the morning.
We went down for breakfast around 930 which is quite late as it finished at 10 and had a lovely table by the window. Only criticism was that staff seemed to concerned with playing with the till than coming to take our orders. The breakfast itself was lovely however with selections of fruit, meats, cereals, and pastries.

I would just add that although the room was lovely, the door didn't fit the frame properly meaning that light came into the room all night through a gap of about an inch at the bottom. Also we could hear people constantly walking up and down the hallways while we were trying to have a lie in. Our room was 222

Other than that we had a lovely stay at the hotel and would definitely return and recommend this lovely hotel in such a fantastic setting!
Thanks!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a paradox. The decor inside is tired. Finding your room is like walking through the set of Fawlty Towers; up some stairs down a few stairs then up again. Narrow corridors then wide ones. Eclectic! Restaurant view is great. Breakfast is great. Staff is great. It just needs a thorough renovation inside.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Ozones
london
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed in this lovely Georgian hotel, staff very friendly and helpful, the room we had was perfect with a large balcony overlooking a nice beer garden, great views of the suspension bridge and countryside,ate supper in our room which was good also breakfast .dining is in the bridge cafe and the White Lion pub which are connected so you do not have to go outside ,we have booked again for July

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank motherhen3
Kingskettle, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I like this hotel. A lot. The staff are great, the rooms are lovely, views are super and its location is easy to get to. This is why I have used it more than once for business trips.

But frustratingly I must report the quality of the food on this occasion was not good. Dinner-burger & chips was only warm... Not a massive disappointment in itself. Breakfast on the other hand.... Sorry AGH, it was actually COLD. It's annoying that such an otherwise great hotel can't serve a hot breakfast. Nuff said

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends