“Much improved !!!!”

Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Bristol
“Much improved !!!!”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed here Saturday 21st Dec for my hubbys works xmas party.
The food/evening was great, what I was hesitant about staying at the hotel was that last year the rooms were terrible, they were dated, old, and not fitting for Clifton.

But , to my pleasant surprise the rooms have been refurbished and they are excellent. Modern, lovely bathroom, nice comfortable bed.

Well done, very fitting for Clifton.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Catherine M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My family of four stayed at The Avon Gorge for one night.

Our first impression of the hotel was very good, our greeting by the reception staff was professional and check in easy. We had asked for a large family room with two z beds and these had already been made up. The room was all that we hoped for, immaculately clean, attractively designed with comfortable beds, spacious and with that stunning view of the Avon Gorge and bridge.

Even though there was a huge Christmas function taking place throughout the hotel, our room was very quiet at night. Breakfast was a well organised buffet staffed by charming waiters/waitresses. We would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for good value and service without expensive trappings, in a great location in Clifton Village.

It was pretty straightforward finding a free parking space by driving round the local streets, not bad for a hotel in the middle of town.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a view of the Suspension Bridge.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bristol
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I organised a Christmas/Casino Evening for Saturday, 7th December some months ago. Having had a similar evening in the AG, I requested seating in the Riverside Suite with a stunning view of Brunel's Suspension Bridge. Although this couldn't be guaranteed at the time of booking, Sue Bartley and the Events Team were later able to accommodate my request and we looked forward to the event.

My wife and I arrived slightly early to ensure our seating plan and place cards had been situated properly--they had and another minor headache disappeared. The room had been decorated beautifully and more space had been allocated than on our previous evening.

Throughout the evening, serving staff and front of house management were cheerful, attentive and very efficient. The meals served, considering there were three parties in the Riverside Suite and probably at least as many downstairs was very, very good, served hot and with minimum delays throughout.

A good meal was capped by the disco, and downstairs a very popular casino event. All in all, an excellent experience and I'd like to pass kudos and thanks to all involved. Bar staff, waiters and waitresses, chefs, and those involved in the disco and Casino events made for an outstanding evening.

A big well done to you all!

Room Tip: The review covers a social event, not a stay in the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Lincolnshire England
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Good location, handy for both Clifton Village and the City Centre. We stayed in a newly renovated room, good facilities - excellent shower - comfortable bed. The room we had was at front of hotel, so no view of the bridge or gorge but excellent value. Very good English breakfast, helpful friendly staff. Would certainly stay here again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

You can't beat the location, right next to the gorge with excellent views of the suspension bridge. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was enormous, with plenty of space to spread out. Our view was superb. The bathroom was spacious too, only quibble was the pressure in the shower was poor. Oh and the sound of doors opening and closing in the corridor were a bit noisy, but otherwise a small price to pay for such a brilliantly located hotel which was clean, spacious and tastefully decorated.

• Stayed November 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed in the Princess Suite (Room 224) and I have to say the room was lovely, the bathroom was spacious and modern, the view was spectacular, and the staff were polite and friendly.

However, we did have a little bit of trouble when settling our bill on check out. It was my partners 21st Birthday and so had ordered a bottle of Prosecco to the room prior to arrival. The bottle was bought up after we got there, it was not there on arrival (this was not a problem), however I presume because the bottle was not already up there when we arrived the bar had then charged me twice for the bottle. After ordering room service for our dinner we got a call from one of your members of staff saying that my mother had paid £40 to our bill in order for us to get some celebratory drinks and to pay for dinner. This was a nice unexpected surprise, once having deducted dinner from this £40, we were told we had £18 left to spend of the money from my mother and so we proceeded to order two glasses of champagne (on suggestion from one of your members of staff).

When the bill came it was rather confusing as I had been charged for the bottle of Prosecco twice, the amount for food £22.50 had been deducted, however there was no note of the glasses of Champagne, or any note on your system that my mother had given the hotel £40 towards this. A member of staff removed one of the bottles of Prosecco from our bill, and as the food was already deducted, it was left at that and I paid the bill that I was expected to pay. However, I found it unsettling that there was no note made of this £40 or of the Champagne. I have no receipt of how much this Champagne cost and so for all I know that hadn't be paid for, or, half of this £40 hasn't been accounted for on paper. I'm sure you can understand why I find that worrying.

I did find it all a little frustrating because it was one of the staff that called up to our room to tell us that we had extra money to spend. I felt like I was then in a position where there was no evidence of this payment, and that I could easily have been accused of lying and having to pay the full bill. It all caused a bit of scene, which was embarrassing for me as I didn't want my partner to see the bill.

I understand that the staff at the reception were not to blame for this mistake and it was dealt with, however, I feel like it was a negative way to end our stay at the Avon Gorge hotel, as we couldn't have faulted anything before hand.

To top this off I later had a generic email from the manager asking for feedback on my stay, I emailed him my feedback explaining what had happened, but that I couldn't fault the room. This was over a week ago now and I have had no response from the manager.

It really was a shame that the hotel handled the situation in the way it did, maybe this is down to inexperience of the staff, I don't know. Unfortunate way to end our stay, I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Get a suite
shanklin
Reviewed November 28, 2013

An excellent hotel in a stunning location. The room was clean and modern, as was the bathroom and the English breakfast was very good. The only disappointment was the lack of parking facilities for a hotel of this size........with haphazard space down a side road for maybe only a dozen cars or so.