“Oh so tired!”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
London, United Kingdom
“Oh so tired!”
Reviewed February 6, 2008

I'm relocating to Bristol with work and have stayed here a lot since January while I find somewhere permanent. The location is great, the views stunning, the village has great restaurants and shops - in short everything you need. But, but but... The hotel itself is the epitome of faded glory; the price of rooms is punitive for what one gets. Last night £95 (approx 145 euros, 185 USD) bought me an afterthought of a twin room at basement level. The TV signal was Soviet-quality, there was only one power point (the management may not be aware that the average 21st century business traveller has a laptop, mobile phone and MP3 player that all need plugging in). The breakfast selection is very poor and the waiter wanted to charge me for an espresso rather than the "free" opaque filter coffee. I don't approve of this penny-pinching, considering my company is leaving the best part of £2k with the Avon Gorge putting me up there. They also tried to charge me for a Sunday Guardian [sic!] and then argued with me when I informed the lady that a) the Guardian isn't published on a Sunday, and b) even if it was I didn't order it! From now on, I will insist that our travel service books me in to the more consistent, higher quality and believe it or not, cheaper, Marriott in central Bristol.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor service
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Oxfordshire, UK
Reviewed February 6, 2008

I stayed here on a B&B basis for one night, whilst attending a business meeting at another location.

On arrival, we were lucky to be able to park on the steep road to the rear of the hotel, but I can see that parking might be a problem sometimes. The hotel is set in a spectacular location, in Clifton village just below the Clifton Suspension Bridge, which can be viewed from the restaurant and hotel bars.

We dined out at one of the good selection of restaurants which are very close by, though, at the time of my stay, we were offered discount on dining at the hotel, where the menu looked interesting. I think I would have tried dining there if I had been staying for more than one night.

My room was clean and comfortable, though the decor and fully functional bathroom were a little dated.

Breakfast was buffet style, with a good selection of continental and cooked options, and was enjoyed with the magnificent view of the bridge!

The staff I encountered were predominantly young and very enthusiastic and helpful, especially those on reception.

I was sad that I could only stay for one night, as I would have liked to have explored the area more - the zoo and downs are very close - and would certainly consider staying here for fun as a 'short-break' .

• Liked — The location and character of the hotel
  • Disliked — Lack of parking
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TheAvonGorge, Front Office Manager at Avon Gorge Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2016
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a glowing review. We are absolutely thrilled you had such a pleasant stay with us. Your positive feedback has been passed on to our staff members.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.