“Very nice bedrooms but shame about the breakfast...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice bedrooms but shame about the breakfast...”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This hotel is only five minutes walk from Bristol Temple Meads Station and about a 15 minute walk from the City Centre. So it is well placed. It has a slightly antiseptic feel, almost like a modern hospital, in the reception area - lots of marble and gleaming chrome. Reception was efficient, although not overly friendly. Some people were being given cookies on arrival (I am not sure why I was not…)

The hotel does not have a pool, but it does have a gym which, I am afraid to say I neglected to use (perhaps that is why they did not offer me a cookie!) One excellent feature of reception is the free use of two computer terminals that are attached to a printer. There were also complimentary copies of The I newspaper.

The bedroom was lovely. The hotel was completely refurbished two years ago and to a good standard. The bed was super comfortable. The room was well lit, with a good work station. The wardrobe had an iron and ironing board. The room had its own safe. There was a large, flat screen TV with a wide range of Freeview channels. It would have been nice for the room to have an easy chair. There was an odd window seat, which was comfortable, but not for lounging.

The shower room was lovely, with a large rain shower head. The towels and toiletries were both good quality. There was even the luxury of a heated mirror so you could shower and then shave without having to wait till the steam disappeared.

My only real disappointment about this hotel was the breakfast. It has a good range of items in the buffet and the quality of the food was good, also. But the plates are not warm. There were no "lamps" over the dishes and, as a consequence, my breakfast was quite cold by the time I got back to my table. The coffee was also quite weak.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Roland D
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent 4* review. I am pleased you liked the newly refurbished interior of our hotel which I can confirm was completed last year. I am very sorry you were not offered a warm chocolate chip cookie on arrival, this is a signature of DoubleTree by Hilton and all our guests should receive one on arrival at the hotel.

It was great to read all your positive comments regarding your stay with us and in particular that you felt your bedroom was ‘lovely’ and that you liked the ‘shower room with the large rain shower head’. I was also pleased you felt the range and quality of breakfast items was good, however disappointed that you felt the temperature of the items/plates were too cold.

Please be assured we have taken your feedback on board and have cascaded it onto the relevant departments. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel with a ‘warm chocolate chip cookie’.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed here for one night between Christmas and New Year. For some reason check-in took a long time, but we weren't in a hurry so it didn't matter too much. Unfortunately the first room which we were given was next to a room where the couple were clearly having a very good time, so much so that not only could we hear what they were doing, but the headboard of our bed was shaking as well! We didn't fancy being subjected to a repeat performance later so we went down to reception and asked to be moved to another room. However when we went up to our new room, we found that there was already someone in it. We walked in on a man on his way to the shower which was embarrassing all round. I can honestly say that I have never had this happen before at any other hotel that I stayed at! A lesson there to always put the bolt on your door! Reception were very apologetic, but I have to say that's quite disconcerting to think that there could be a 'mix up' and two different guests can be booked into the same room. Our third room was fine, although the air con unit was really loud, although I think we were quite grumpy by this point and finding faults. Anyway, certainly a stay we won't forget in a hurry!

Room Tip: Make sure you get one without someone else in it!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunny88sydney
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your stay with us over Christmas and New Year.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay with us, I can confirm that the miscommunication has now been fully rectified ensuring this does not ever happen again. Again I am sorry for any inconvenience you were caused by this and we hope you will come and visit us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed for one night.

Room had clearly been modernised and was nice enough but the heating/cooling did not work and it was so cold I had to put my coat on in bed.

Shower screen had mould on it and the temperature to the shower didn't really adjust.

I would not stay here again, there are far nicer hotels in Bristol at similar price brackets.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, I was pleased you felt the room was 'nice' and 'modern'. I was however very disappointed to read the air conditioning unit was not working effectively in your room and am very sorry for any inconvenience this caused for you.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as we had a night out planned in Bristol. We wanted a hotel that was in the center of the city but also a good rate as well as being a nice hotel and the DoubleTree bu Hilton was all of those things. When ever we stay away we use Hilton and this hotel did not disappoint. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left the hotel staff were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were of an excellent standard, well looked after and with top quality fixtures and fittings. This was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

3 Thank Dan W
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to give us such positive feedback regarding your stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you had a ‘wonderful stay’ and that you felt the rooms were of an ‘excellent standard’ with ‘top quality fixtures and fittings’. I will ensure your comments about your stay with us are placed on our Trip Advisor board in our staff canteen, so that everyone can see them.

Please do come and stay with us again soon.
cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I booked this hotel for my wife and I over New Years Eve. We went for a delux suite however it was very disappointing. It was far from the modern room described, especially the bathroom. It also had a very must old smell. On the plus side the service was over all very good as was the buffet breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review. I was sorry to read you were disappointed by the deluxe room you were allocated for your stay with us on News Year’s Eve, I do hope this did not impede your New Year celebrations.

I was however very pleased to read you felt the service overall was 'very good' and you enjoyed your buffet breakfast in our Kiln Restaurant.

We hope you will come and stay with us again.
Holt, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just one night stay in a standard double room for £99 which was good value for New Years Eve in the center of a city. Everything you expect from a Hilton, comfortable, clean, modern reasonable sized room with tasteful decor. No breakfast but within easy reach of Cabot Circus or Harbourside so spoilt for choice with regards to places to eat. Will stay again especially with one of their many promotions.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us on New Year’s Eve and I very pleased that you liked the ‘tasteful decor’ of the hotel. We are delighted with the £5m we have spent refurbishing all areas of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Leighton buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Booked on spec, primarily for reasonably priced city centre parking. Really suprised by the grandeur of the place and delighted that parking allowed us to come and go on same ticket. offered room with bath and shower, or just shower. Remarkably quiet and great staff. Room was quite small but for a one nighter perfectly adequate. Gorgeous bacon and sausages at breakfast, though they need a new black pudding supplier! Will definitely use again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

John D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review you have recently given the hotel.

All your comments and feedback are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and with the DoubleTree by Hilton brand.

I was delighted to read you felt the sausages and bacon were ‘gorgeous’ at breakfast and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.