“weekends out with friend for comfortable and joyous time...”

Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I visited it a year ago with friends, to see bristol city. what a day for us, we have to stay there with no options as bus service were not in work. decided to choose this one, but it comes to our memories when we enjoyed a lot with new year days there. 1st jan 13 though it was Tuesday. Helpful and friendly staffs and manager. It is having SPA but we have not used that one -seems to be very good. we have good enjoyable 1st night there with many facilities like wi-fi and good menu of foods. enjoyable, comfortable clean, with good quality in all.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,253)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Checked in mid-evening, hotel was very busy. Staff welcoming and efficient, three others checking in but all dealt with v quickly.

Given a room upgrade on arrival, a nice touch wherever you stay. Large, quite comfortable room. Free wifi and parking in room rate, likewise breakfast.

Care clearly paid to room cleanliness, relatively new tv and other equipment.
Breakfast very good choice, good restaurant atmosphere.

I would recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I loved this hotel and was very pleasantly surprised My partner and I got a great deal for B & B for the two of us and our 13 month old daughter. When I first made the reservation on the phone the staff were very helpful - a good sign. My partner had business in the region so I dropped him off and headed to the hotel. I arrived early and the concierge was extremely helpful assisting me with luggage. The room was ready early and they let me check in. The room was a pleasant surprise. Quite large with a king sized bed. The travel cot also came with a nappy sanitiser and they supplied travel sized baby products which I found to be a lovely touch as I've stayed in hotels that cost a lot more and didn't receive these extras. Also great sized bathroom. The staff were exceptional, a credit to the hotel. Delicious breakfast the following morning. We will definitely be back. Thank you

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The impressive Royal Bristol Marriott is in an ideal location for going out and about in Bristol, just a stone's throw away from the new quayside bars and restaurants. Check in was great, with a complimentary glass of wine whilst still signing in - probably one of the most civilised check-in experiences of my life!

The rooms are clean and well sized. I was up on the top / fourth floor so "suffered" with a few sloping angles of the roof intruding, particularly in to the bathroom but it didn't detract from my stay. The bed, like all Marriotts I've stayed in, was amazingly comfortable. Plenty of hangers and space in the wardrobe and nice complimentary shortbread and flapjacks with the in-room tea tray.

It's worth noting that it looks like they've removed all of the mini-bars (given the huge void in the TV cabinet, so if you're hoping to keep your own drinks refrigerated, think again.

My only gripe was that other than an ottoman at the foot of the bed, there was no table and chairs in the room I had, other than the writing desk, which meant when I had room service I had little choice of where to sit and eat, with my back against the room and TV.

Made use of the Spa after a good 15 mile long walk on the Saturday, the changing rooms are a bit run down but it was nice to unwind in the steam room and sauna. I don't know if I went at the wrong time but there were quite a lot of children running around which I wouldn't usually have expected from a hotel on a Saturday evening.

There can be a bit of noise floating up from the varied Bristol night-life, although it's possible that was due to the strong winds during the stay, possibly making it louder than normal. It didn't detract from a good night's sleep though.

The staff were on the whole friendly and welcoming and helped make this a really enjoyable stay - I'll definitely be going back!

Top tip: they offer breakfast vouchers for the hotel restaurant when you check-in for £10, saving you roughly £8 off their standard price, making it good value and the food is nice too!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a superb hotel, one of the best I've stayed in. Staff couldn't have been more friendly, attentive and professional - little touches helped like giving our son a free kiddie's pack on arrival and a voucher for room service milk and cookies. breakfast was brilliant, lots of choice and again great service and staff were really knowledgeable about the area. Pool and spa were immaculate and really well done, room was good size, well furnished, everything worked. It was a super hotel.

There are 2 reasons I didn't give it 5 stars: One was that they charged for wifi in the rooms - it's so archaic in this day and age, and smacks of Ryan Air money grabbing - really didn't suit the rest of the hotel and I hope they rethink this. Two, they charged £12.50 a day to stay in the huge underground car park. Again, I don't really expect to have to pay to park at a hotel as a resident.

The funny thing is, I wouldn't mind if they built both these things into the price, because it was pretty good value (£100 for good room and great breakfast for two).

But look, if you're going to Bristol, stay at this hotel, the two little irks should not put you off, it really is great and the staff are wonderful.

Room Tip: The rooms on the outside have great views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank John G
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Had a 2 night stay with dinner, bed and breakfast. Checkin took a while as reception was busy on the Friday. Room was large and pleasant. Dinner that night was good, very nice food and pleasant staff. Breakfast was ok but there were messages around to warn that breakfast would be busy after 9am so felt rushed to get there before 9. Went out at approx. 10am and arrived back about 4.15pm to find our room had not been touched! Never had this before anywhere else. Spoke to reception then a junior manager. His excuse was that they were busy! We had to vacate room while it was cleaned etc.Were left a half bottle of red wine and a plate of cut friut in our room, presumably by way of an apology. Dinner that night was good, but with exactly the same menu as the night before I had to have the same starter and dessert. Same messages about breakfast on Sunday being busy after 9am. Fast checkout of leaving key in box was very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night in October. Good car park under the hotel with easy access. Good start however this paid as an extra. Reception is efficient and welcoming although I really object to having my card debited on arrival with a £50 extra charge in case I bill anything to my room!! The "superior" room was OK not large but quite comfy and clean. The bedroom windows were filthy however. Bar prices are very high....even for a hotel! There was always a lift immediately available to take you to your floor. The corridors would probably benefit from new carpets in the near future.
Great location for central Bristol but my feeling are its probably £30 a night more than its worth.
Nice breakfast!