“Disappointing stay”

Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Good first impression of the Bristol Marriott Royal. Lovely decadent Victorian lobby and lots of staff behind the front desk eager to check in guests on a busy Saturday night. Allocated room on the 3rd (superior) floor, however as it was overlooking the busy Canons/Anchor Road, I was concerned about the traffic noise as it was audible so I popped back down to reception and asked for a different room. Unfortunately none were available so I was given a time of 30 minutes to return so that a room can be made ready. I waited in the bar and on my return a room was still not ready and it would be another 20/30 minutes. I was advised the new room would be 1328 so I inspected it's position myself and found out it was still facing the road on the section of College Green & Canons Road so it was no better than what I had already so I decided to stay in my existing room without informing the front desk.

I did not get a call from reception asking if I still wanted to change or not. Bad marks # 1 for not calling and checking if I wanted to change & Bad marks # 2 for not listening to the guest and finding a suitable room to my needs. Had a swim in the hotel pool which is located on the lower ground floor which was quite large and a busy Jacuzzi and lots of loungers and chairs to relax around the pool area.

The bedroom itself was nicely decorated and luxurious, all mod cons that you would find in a hotel. Bathroom was spacious, large tub and clean. However the bed was very soft and not at all comfortable. It was obliviously old and needed to be replaced as it sagged so much to the middle and you kept rolling into the dip in the bed. I did complain the next morning when I checked out but pretty sure nothing will be done about it. Not really a good nights sleep on an uncomfortable bed coupled with the noise form revelers coming out from the nearby clubs & pubs throughout the night plus the traffic noise. The windows are just not sound proofed/double glazed enough to muffle the noise.

Breakfast was served in the new "Walter's" restaurant and thankfully was delicious, everything you could want from a fry up to cold fish/meats and the usual pastries/fruits and cheeses - all good. The staff in the breakfast room were all nice, attentive and happy to help with extra tea bags & clearing the plates etc.

Considering the price the Marriott charges for it's rooms I did expect better service and certainly a better bed than what I received. Did not park in the hotel car park as there was sufficient street parking by College Green which was £2.50 till midnight (after 6) on the Saturday and free all day on Sunday. If returning I would definitely ask for an inward facing room or one away from the road and with a better bed. Some that is superior rather than being billed as.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank UncleDom

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a very pleasant week end staying in the Bristol Marriott Royal. The Hotel is convenient close to lots of Bristol's attractions such as the Aquarium, the Science Museum and the cathedral. Although it is on a busy intersection, and I was a bit concerned when I saw we had outward facing rooms, the double glazing prevented any noise from outside and we enjoyed a good night sleep. We ate in the restaurant and enjoyed the food - children could eat from the main menu for half price! Our children went swimming in the pool and a point worth noting is that it is very hot in the viewing area if you are watching kids fully clothed - worth changing into your costume first!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had 3 nights at the Marriott Royal just before Christmas A great offer through travelrepublic which included breakfast. For the money we paid we expected a cold, exceptionally tired basement room. The room we were allocated was indeed on the 'lower ground floor' but extremely well appointed and spotlessly clean. Breakfast is served till late and is a genuinely leisurely experience. The hotel is central of course, but no worries about the car as the car park is enormous. I didn't feel they were ripping guests off to use it. I also wouldn't worry about not getting a space if you arrive late. As I've mentioned the car park is huge. Made for a great 3 day break. Shops and eating places are pretty close by. Great room and extremely grand public areas made this feel like a special break

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Arrived to be offered a room in the basement which I declined and was swiftly offered a room on the second floor. Nice décor, lovely bathroom, usual tv/kettle for tea/coffee and the bed and bedding was lovely, loved the little squishy pillows - maybe would like a heavier duvet though. I am gluten free and they noted this at check in and I was offered brown or white gluten free toast at breakfast where the staff were super attentive and the buffet selection simply lovely (I love fresh pineapple). Then the spa area, fab. What lovely friendly staff they have on reception. Nice pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna, cold water tap with little paper cups, showers outside sauna amounted to a very nice area with lounger beds or table and chairs. All very clean and well cared for. Back upstairs and lovely areas to sit in to read, have coffee or have a drink. Loved the roaring fire too. Will definitely book here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I would just like to thank the duty manager, Jordan for sorting out the problems on our arrival on 17th February. The subsequent room provided was excellent, the food in the hotel was good and the staff were very friendly. It was very central for exploring Bristol. Thanks to Jordan we will return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have stayed here every time we have an important anniversay or birthday. The hotel staff never let us down. It is everything a hotel should be undertated and elegent, and the staff are attentive without being obtrusive. Nothing is too much trouble. We will contine to stay here when in bristol

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Overall this hotel looks good. Lovely lobby with chandeliers and roaring fires, the pool area is great. The room we stayed in was an executive king size double - nice and clean, non offensive decor, nice marble bathroom etc.

But there are a few negatives....

Firstly the beds! Lumpy, uncomfortable, the mattress curved upwards somehow so you felt you would roll out of the bed. The pillows were an odd collection of only 2 normal shape pillows but smaller than average size and 3 large square ones...??? Thin duvet....this all made for an uncomfortable night to say the least.

I really wish all hoteliers would get to grips with the quality of their beds! Surely a comfortable, good nights sleep is one of the most important things! ?? Sort it out!

Some minor grumbles were that there was no mini bar or chocolate snacks/crisps. So when we rang down for room service for some wine and snacks they said they could provide the drinks but didn't have anything snack like, not even nuts...

On checking in the room there were dirty wine glasses and bottles right outside our door - not a great 1st impression.

The place overall could be better. The main bar was closed and dark at 10.30pm on a Thursday night, the smaller bar with the fires was open but limited comfy seats so we didn't bother. The place just lacked warmth and didn't make you feel like you wanted to relax.

And those beds....! I write this yawning in the hotel room wearing a complimentary bath robe which only has one belt loop so the towelling belt drags around the floor.

Would I recommend coming here again? No.

On a final note, the continental breakfast we ordered for room service was massive, shame I was too tired to eat it. Can't wait to get home......

Room Tip: Take your own comfy bed!