TripAdvisor
Bristol
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews leisure facilities sauna and steam room central location st nicholas market self service car parking
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve never checked in a hotel with just one receptionist, when you arrive with many luggages, they say I am really really busy, I cannot help you because I’m alone here. Wow, what a nice hotel that leave you to carry all the luggages with no help at all. Think again before you book.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Dirty unclean. Carpet not vacuumed in hallway noticed upon arrival. Asked about use of pool . Sorry under maintenance. Then asked about spa sorry under maintenance. Got up to room really warm day Turned on Air Conditioning did not work rang maintenance, ok they said we will get on to it. Then noticed 2 fans in room. I then tried to place my luggage on the only luggage stand in our room but could not fit my 25kg luggage in the corner wondering why the stand was left there l pulled out the armchair in the room to change it to the corner instead only to find a massive stain on carpet. No one came from maintenance to look at air conditioner. Went down stairs to complain l asked is this why we have 2 fans in the room as the air con is not going to be fixed the answer was "probably ". I talked about only having 1 luggage stand as my husband needs 1 too. I was told only 1 per room. I then addressed the stain and then was told "we are not off to a very good start"? by the staff member. To which l replied "No". I requested a new room to which they complied with air con working. We had to leave the hotel as we only had 2 night and 1 was to go to Bath and as we had not unpacked . I was told they would move a luggage across. Upon return 3 hours later we were give 2 keys to move our own luggage. To our surprise no luggage stand in new room so we took the 1 luggage stand from our old room to use in new room. New room had long black hair in shower not cleaned properly to my standard. Bar area smelt so didn't use it. Should not be in operation at all.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The lady who dealt with us on our check out was absolutely lovely; friendly, engaging and very helpful, and gave the impression that nothing was too much trouble - and that is pretty much why I tend to use the Accor Hotel brand of hotels. That was the good part.
The rest was mediocre to poor.
Firstly I booked through the Accor website, which was very easy to use. I have not stayed at this particular hotel before but chose it because of the very high standards that I have experienced with another Mercure and a Novotel in Bristol - both part of the Accor brand.
We were running late due to a delayed flight so, not being familiar with how this hotel worked, I rang them to let them know that we would be there about nine PM instead of around half seven as planned. The person on the end of the phone gave the impression that he couldn’t give a toss. He was offhand, and in my opinion on the point of being rude. He only had to say something along the lines of “thank you for letting us know” and I would have felt valued, instead of feeling like an inconvenience.
We arrived and were met by (apparently) the same person who I had spoken to twenty minutes earlier. Once again, he was as offhand to the point of being rude. I said that we had just travelled down from the airport by bus and he immediately asked if we had a car in the car park. Not great listening skills. He gave the impression of not being at all interested in dealing with people, or even doing the job he was doing. Maybe not the best position for someone with poor customer service and people skills.
Anyway, he waved us towards the lift and that was the extent of the directions given to the room. Now finding the room (263) was interesting. From the photos it can be seen that the actual room numbers are massive - the size of an A4 piece of paper. What can also just about be seen is that directions to the rooms are on a very small plaque at the end of a dimly lit corridor. Had the receptionist given even brief directions, we would have known that our room was out of the lift, up a short flight of stairs, though a firedoor, around a left hand corners, turned left at the end of a corridor, through another set of firedoors (with a short flight of steps directly after them - which I didn’t see a warning for) and along a third corridor.
The room. Where do I start? Firstly, I have to acknowledge that it had been refurbished, and the actual work had been done to a high standard of finish, but - who ever decided to install some sort of scaffold thing masquerading as an “open wardrobe” could possibly use a few more lessons in practical interior design. The gap between the bed and this scaffolding was around ten inches, which is nowhere near enough room for someone to easily get through. I would imagine that the bed wasn’t in the room while the scaffolding was being installed. There is absolutely no ambient light at night in the room so walking into this structure is a very real risk.
Also, two beds, one chair. Where does the second person sit? Or was it just originally a well sized single room with two beds squeezed into it?
The bathroom was bright and clean, and also not that well designed. The bathroom light switch is on the wall outside of the bathroom which isn’t unusual, but over three feet away from the door frame. It is one of two switches on the same switch panel, so at three o’clock in the morning, you’re switching on the main room light and waking up your Mrs. That went down well. Also, when “using the toilet”, your foot catches on the door stop - which is a sharp steel spring mounted on the skirting board.
The room carpet was absolutely disgusting, there were dark stains, and it appeared to have not been vacuumed as there were loads of little glitter stars all over the floor. Furthermore there were what appeared to be food stains on the bedside table frame. I definitely wouldn’t like to eat there based on what I saw in the room, even though the restaurant is apparently very good. Be interesting to see the hygiene regimen in the kitchen.
All these little things contribute to people forming an impression, and this is mine. I can’t see why the poor attitude of the receptionist and the poor state of the room wouldn’t be repeated throughout the whole hotel.
Now it’s entirely possible that we were just unlucky to have encountered what I perceive to be issues, and I note that there are also some very positive reviews on this site.
I was considering raising these things when we checked out but the lady who dealt with us was so nice I didn’t want to, and we were also slightly pushed for time, so couldn’t.
Fair to say, despite our very positive experiences of other hotels within the group - from all over the UK between Exeter to Inverness, we have no plans to return to this one.

1  Thank SG1bbons
Reviewed September 17, 2019

We spent a night here when we were in Bristol for a wedding. I'd booked the hotel as I saw it was centrally located, and as I haven't been to Bristol before thought it would be a good base for sightseeing when not attending wedding events. It is a fantastic base for exploring this wonderful city. There are many sites of interest in the immediate locality, and as it was Open Doors weekend lots to explore. The St Nicholas market was great for a quick lunch when we arrived, and the Regstery Office being across the road was an added bonus. We also enjoyed a stroll down the river which is a few minutes walk away.
The room was very comfortable, and the shower room looked like it had been recently re-furbished. The breaksfast, which was serve yourself, was very good with a range of options for a cooked breakfast and lots of fruit etc to add to cereal. My husband thought the croissants were slightly disappointing.
Our only disappointment was that the swimming pool was out of order, as another reason I'd chosent this hotel was because it had a pool and a gym. The gym was fine, if a little basic.
I'd certainly consider staying here again next time I'm in the city.

Reviewed September 17, 2019

We have been at the Mercure Bristol Grand for two days with over 100 colleagues. It was a great event with really nice and supporting staff making sure everything was taking care off. Unfortunately we missed the pool, but would definitely recommend this place.

Room tip: All rooms are nice to stay in.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business