“Nice room, good location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Bristol Grand Hotel

Mercure Bristol Grand Hotel
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Sandhurst, UK
“Nice room, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night on a trip with work. We use it because it's near our Bristol office but it's very central and handy for all the bars and restaurants down in the Harbourside area of the city. It's about 10-15 minutes walk from Temple Mead Station.

Check in was quick and efficient. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. I had a standard double room which was very nice. Plenty of storage space, a safe, iron and ironing board in the wardrobe and hairdryer in the drawer. I saw a sign on the wall about using the aircon and was looking around for the panel to switch it on, as it was a really hot day and the room was a bit stuffy. It took me a few minutes to spot that there is actually a remote control for the aircon unit!

The bed was comfortable and there is a pillow menu if you're not happy with the type provided. The one thing I felt was missing was tea/coffee making facilities. The website says this is provided so it's quite possible that it was hidden in a cupboard and I didn't notice it. When I arrived, I literally threw my bag in the room, got changed and went straight out again until very late, and only stayed the one night.

Breakfast was very good, fruit juice, cereal, fruit, yogurt, the usual cooked selection, toast, tea and coffee, plus there are a few other items on the menu which you can order. On check in I was given a voucher which reduced the price of breakfast from £15 down to £10 which I assume they give to all guests, and it's only more expensive if you're not staying.

I'd certainly use this hotel again in Bristol.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank Good Names All Gone!
Mkelly1233, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your 4 star review.

I am very pleased to note that you had a great stay and enjoyed your time at our hotel.

With regards to the Tea and Coffee facilities, I can confirm that we do offer it and a tray can be found in the refreshment drawer. I will however, review this and may look at improving the signage to ensure our guests are aware. Thank you for this opportunity!

Kind regards
Mark Kelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed in Thistle Bristol for one night for the first time in Bristol. The holel is located literally walking distance from everything. Receptionist was amazing, it took no time to be checked in.
She was well mannered, polite and very friendly. The room supposed to be single, but the bed and the size was equals to London's standard double. Big bed, enough room to walk around, big bathroom and high pressure shower.
My room was prepared by Ana. It was clean and everything was in working order.
The bar / restaurent staff were great all food delivered on the table on time and taste delicious.

I will highly recommend this hotel, Its a place to be when visiting Bristol.

Room Tip: The hotel is located on the side road. As a no through road, its extremely quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What an excellent review! I am really pleased that you had a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Thank you!

Kind regards
Mark Kelly
Swansea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Fantastic location right in the heart of the city. Car parking on site which is not too pricey at £8 for 24hrs. Rooms are in a good condition, we booked a super king so the bed was a fair size. Bathroom was well appointed with everything you'd expect from the the Thistle brand. The bar in the cellar was ok if a little expensive but there's lots of good pubs nearby.

Go to the stable in the harbour for cider tasters and pizza or head to The Apple on Welshback for more traditional ciders.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Greyo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for business in August. This hotel is in a great location, right in the heart of the city centre. Staff were very friendly, room was clean. My only issue was with the size of the room, it was a single room, so I should have expected it, the room was tiny. It felt a little claustrophobic, if was too warm, there was an aircon unit but it was right above your head while you were sleeping and was very loud.

Breakfast was mediocre, it's very much the same as most hotels.

Overall, it served the purpose for this trip, not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, but certainly not the worst.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I really enjoyed my trip to Bristol, it was for business but for 3 days so had chance to see some of the sites.

The Thistle was a lovely hotel and the staff were really friendly, especially Tony the barman who kept me entertained in the evenings! He was very efficient and couldn't do enough for anyone, when I asked him for directions, upon seeing my blank face, he showed me where I needed to go. The reception staff were equally helpful.

The restaurant food was lovely and the staff very friendly but I have to say service was very slow. I almost finished my dinner before the wine arrived!

I arrived on a Sunday and found the bar was shut, there is not a lot else to do when female and travelling alone so that was dissapointing, apparently it is always closed Sundays.

The swimming pool/spa/gym is in a seperate building which is isn't ideal and quite small but clean and some lovely touches.

Really pleased with the room, there was a bottle of water each day, mini fridge to keep milk and they even provided paper cups to take away which I thought was a lovely touch when rushing out on business in the mornings!

One of the nicer hotels I have stayed in on business and very reasonable, although they make up for it by charging £6.25 for a glass of wine!!

Room Tip: I stayed in a double deluxe room, no good for a view (car park!), but quiet!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I cannot praise the front desk, bar and breakfast room staff enough. Attentive, friendly and welcoming. The complimentary cold drink on our arrival on a very hot day and the assistance in locating a parking spot for our large people mover was much appreciated. The hotel is venerable and although it has been refurbished one needs to remember that it remains a 'grand old dame'. Perhaps there are some things that cannot be fixed without a loss of character. We had booked 3 rooms of various configurations and they were adequate, though smallish and the aircon was problematic in one. There were no views to speak of but given the location, perhaps understandably so. We were only staying one night and the centrality of the hotel's location meaning we could walk where we needed to go made up for it. In all, I think the hotel is a little overstated in terms of room size and appointments. The breakfast was very good.

• Stayed July 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a small family gathering and the staff was too good in serving our needs. The foods is so good i normally don't like an English roast as it become too dried but here they serve you with the best in the west i have eaten,it was good seasoning plus perfectly done with moist....All i can say the dessert,stater and all serve was excellent. All the stuff was very good in serving and really felt at home as the hygiene and the toilet are good too. I recommend as the *5 in all.The best in Bristol and value for money keep that in mind when you come to Bristol even the parking is easy as we could see the central of Bristol and make your family happy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends