“Wonderful weekend stay”

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Having been to this hotel for day time business meetings, this was my first stay! Other than a rather officious young lady on reception in the evening ,the staff were brilliant. My partner was not well , perhaps because Wales lost and England won ! Lol but the staff were very helpful! The noise as they had pointed out from the River side was not invasive !
The cream tea is the best I have ever had, and being a Devon boy that is high praise indeed! We pride ourselves on our cream on first and jam on top cream teas! Well done to the chef who made them.......the scones were superb!

Easy parking and ease to access all of Bristol's great places, a great trip!

Room Tip: The River rooms are not noisy, although it was a rough night outside which may have kept noise level...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Corianderking,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such an excellent review.

It is great that you decided to stay with us after previously using our conference centre, and we are delighted you enjoyed our cream tea so much, next time perhaps you may try or afternoon tea which is even more decadent.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Bristol hotel in the near future,

The Bristol Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (3,780)

Reviewed February 5, 2014

From the time we arrived the staff presented as very professional and competent. The room was clean and very comfortable meeting all the expectations detailed in the publicity. The breakfast I can only describe as excellent, not being able to think of anything than was not available. A first class experience.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Mike G
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Mike G,

Thank you for the great review of the hotel.

It is really pleasing to see you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I also noticed you reviewed the Severn shed Restaurant which is just next door to us and i would also endorse same as it is one of my personal favourites around the Harbourside.

We hope to see you again when back in Bristol,

Mark payne

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed for 1 night having booked via booking.com. Having stayed in the majority of the nearby hotels the free parking at this hotel swayed us on this occasion. Never again.

Housekeeping delayed our rooms availability until 2.45pm (rather than 2 pm) we weren't offered another room & I can't believe they were fully booked on a wet Wednesday at the end of January. To get to our room we had to walk through corridors strewn with dirty laundry. When we got to the door the key didn't, it didn't work for our entire stay. This necessitated a visit to reception every time we tried to go back to our room. When housekeeping finally let us in with the 3rd & only master key that worked (!) I decided to run a bath - not possible as the water wasn't hot. They tap on the hand basin swivelled around & the bathroom bin didn't work. they weren't enough towels in the room & the toiletries hadn't been fully re-stocked. I took clean bathrobes & slippers from the pile on the floor outside our door. Housekeeping told me to help myself from their trolley!

The staff were pleasant & helpful but the hotel appeared neglected & shoddy. I think maintenance & housekeeping staff were in very short supply.

The room service breakfast was OK but the menu was very limited. Just the basics - no eggs benedict or smoked haddock which is supplied in nearby hotels.

As we had pre-paid via another website we couldn't be offered a refund. We did get a free breakfast as compensation & the offer of an upgrade on our next visit. There will be no next visit.

Can't recommend this place when nearby hotels do so much better.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor with water view - but beware, on floor 6 you have a long walk with your luggage...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Sallyw13,

Thank you for leaving us a review and my apologies that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.

We generally do endeavour to check our guests in prior to 2pm, in fact, if we are quite we will check you in at 8am room permitting, however we do typically fill every Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday (even in January) which can sometimes become an issue and cause a delay.

I appreciate you had some other issues also which I am more than happy to talk through with you if you wish, my E-mail address is mark_payne@doylecollection.com If you send me through a mobile number I'll happily give you a call and get a little more detail from you.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We needed somewhere near Queens Square for an overnight stay. The Bristol's location was perfect; I had a short list but the free (very good) WiFi, and car parking facility, (park free and on the same level as the bedroom) were deciding factors. Check in is 1400, but we arrived at 0830 to enable my wife to get to the course she was enrolled in, (just across the road, another location bonus for us). The receptionist was brilliant, really friendly and helpful. He found us a room asking if we preferred water front or road view, bath or shower. He matched our preference and gave us immediate access. Really helpful. During our brief stay we have found all the staff we have met were first class. Breakfast this morning was delicious.

Areas that could be better, in the bedroom, comfortable and clean but the shower room is very tight, and there is not enough provision to hang wet towels. The shower however was powerful with good temperature range and good quality shower gel/shampoo etc.

Access to the breakfast room is difficult, up and down several sets of steps with no obvious lift access. After breakfast one of the ever helpful staff led us via a labyrinthal route via the kitchen to the lift avoiding steps:-) This made things easier for my disabled wife.

To summarise, we would certainly choose to stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Madfan48
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear madfan48,

Thank you for your great review.

We are delighted both you and your wife enjoyed the hotel and location.

I would agree with your comments on access to our restaurant for disabled guests as our issue is primarily the fact it is a 1963 build and access was not so much a priority back then.
We are continually looking for work arounds on this issue and generally make progress every year.

Overall I am glad it did not affect the enjoyment of your stay,

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Mark payne

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night last week when visiting Bristol. Very conveniently situated with a car park (included in price of stay) next door. Pleasant reception staff & room very spacious & nicely decorated - very big, comfortable bed. Bath was very nice with plenty of hot water, only downside was the shower itself which was not very powerful.

Nice lounge/bar area with a good glass of wine at a decent price of £6.

Buffet breakfast very nice, cooked breakfast was good and the fruit & small individual glass pots of creamy greek yoghurt were a nice touch.

Would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 408 was spacious & quiet

Dear Cedmen,

We are delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us on this occasion.

General manager

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We booked this hotel for one Thursday night, in order to see 'West Side Story' at the Hippodrome, as a birthday treat for my husband.
The room was a de luxe doule overlooking the harbour area, and only got a 'Very Good' not 'Excellent', because the bathroom was a bit small. Otherwise it was great.
Lovely view across the water to the lights of pubs and restaurants the other side. A 5mins walk to the Hippodrome and the most helpful staff you could wish for. The room was very clean and the courtesy tray well stocked, great coffee machine too!
Bit of late night shouting from across the water but it didn't bother us and I think if we'd closed the double glazing we wouldn't have heard it at all.

I watched the harbourside come to life in the morning, runners, joggers, bikes, dog walkers, people off to work then children on the way to school. NO TRAFFIC! I can't comment on the food as we didn't eat in, but everything else was perfect.

Oh and Wii Fi and parking in the NCP next door, was free.

Thankyou Bristol Hotel, we will certainly be back!

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the harbour, I smoke so 129 was perfect.

Dear Smiley2ya,

We are delighted you enjoyed our Deluxe rooms!!

it is great that you enjoyed our free car parking and wifi, and if booking again remember our best available rates will always be found on our direct website,

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed here with my wife for one night (Saturday), as we were going for a night out with my staff at a near by restaurant. We have stayed here a number of times.

We were offered a harbour side room, or an inside facing room. We were advised that the harbour side rooms may be noisy on the Saturday evening. This is because on the opposite side of the harbour there are a lot of bars and restaurants, with Saturday being the busiest night of the week. We stayed in an inside facing room. Not a great view of the inside of the building, but it was blissfully quiet, which was the important thing. The hotel looks like it was built in the late 60's, early 70's, so is not pretty from the outside, however the inside is really nice and has been tastefully refurbished.

Great location, lovely room, great staff in all areas of the hotel. Lovely bar area, where my staff and guests met us for a drink before we headed off for the evening.

Breakfast was included. Fully English buffet, with plenty of choice. Good as any other hotel we have been to. Restaurant is situated alongside the harbour side, so has nice views, and is very nice.

No charge for parking in the adjacent NCP car park when we stayed.

I would choose this hotel any time for a stay in Bristol. Good value at £98.00 for the Saturday night. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Harbour side for views, but perhaps avoid Saturday nights due to noise from near by bars/restaurants...
1  Thank TimJames1963

Dear Timjames1963,

Thank you for the review and five stars.

The building is actually a 1963 build with elements of the Car park remaining listed to this day due to it's then "cutting edge" design!! Unfortunately in this modern day it does not look so good, however as you mentioned we have ensured the inside is adequately designed to ensure all our guests have a great stay.

We are glad you enjoyed it and hope to see you again in the near future,