“Fantastic modern hotel in a great location.”
Review of The Bristol

The Bristol
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Fantastic modern hotel in a great location.”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was my first time at the Bristol hotel as I usually chose the Marriot Royal. I like to be near Park Street and the harbourside. The hotel doesnt have a spa and pool but makes up for this with beautifully designed modern interior and great service. The cocktail bar is really chic and the restaurant was reasonably good, the food was good but not amazing but the service was excellent.
The rooms are not huge but are beautifully designed. There is a coffee machine but no tea if you are a tea drinker as I am.
I always judge a hotel on the toiletries and the Bristol hotel passed the test with lovely temple spa products.
I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank carol_thrav
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Carol_thrav,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review,

It is pleasing to see you had an enjoyable stay, our cocktail bar and temple spa products being some of the highlights.

I am surprised to read you had no tea making facilities in the room, in all our bedrooms we provide such facilities in addition to the Nespresso machines in our deluxe rooms, however they are concealed in one of the presses, generally under the television.

We hope to see you back at the hotel in the future,

general manager
The Bristol Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed at The Bristol Hotel last night. The reception was busy when we arrived [about 6:30pm], but the staff were friendly. Our room was large with a really comfortable bed. The bathroom was small, but as it was only for overnight, it was fine. Shampoos etc were good. The view from our window was just other rooms, so not great, We were eating in Bristol, so out of the hotel for the evening. When we arrived back,we had a drink in the bar....the most uncomfortable sofas ever, but barman good.
When we arrived at the hotel there was a tray in the corridor full of crockery and this was still there when we went up to our room at about midnight. Sound asleep when we were awakened in the middle of the night by other guests arriving back and knocking on doors as they went past. This happened a couple of times and we think one reveller probably fell asleep outside our door for about an hour! We did mention this when we checked out and the receptionist said that it can be a problem on Friday and Saturday night.
I notice that other reviews mention coffee makers......no, we had a kettle and teabags/coffee. Suited us as we drink tea mainly.
We would book here again as it was really a really comfy bed and to us that is the main thing we want.

Dear babs1833,

Thank you for your comprehensive review, it is great that you had a good stay with us and found our beds to your liking.

We generally have security carrying out frequent floor walks during the night to deter noise makers, I am sorry on this occasion it was not enough.

Only our Deluxe room types have the nespresso coffee machines, however all rooms have tea / coffee making facilities.

We hope you will visit again,

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Well appointed hotel in the town situated within easy walking distance to attractions. Parking is easy as they have a large car park on the side of the hotel with direct access. The room was very comfortable and clean. I had dinner in Thai Edge restaurant just up the road so did not us the hotel restaurant for dinner just for breakfast, which again was a good buffet. I would stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gordon B,

Thank you for your review.

it is great that you find the hotel is suitable for your business needs. Should you stay regular at the hotel it might be worth looking into joining our GHA loyalty programme which offers some superb perks for members.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Lovely comfortable hotel by harbour side and good good. Good sightseeing tours at Bristol. Comfortable de luxe rooms with everything. Easy to park car at NCP next door to,hotel. Friendly staff and restaurant staff. Helpful reception staff.m

Dear Poppy414_12,

Thank you for leaving us a review after your "mini break" in Bristol.

We are delighted you liked our deluxe rooms!!

We hope to welcome you back in the near future and remember our best available rates are found on our direct website,

Belmont, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed April 25, 2013

the purpose of our trip was to see my family - I am from Bristol (50 years ago!) and my husband and I go to Bristol every three or four years for a reunion. We have stayed at The Bristol Hotel the last two times and it has been a pleasure both times. Each time I have held a get- together for my family and the arrangements and service from the staff have been excellent. The location couldn't be better and the free parking is an additional bonus!

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Isabelle D,

It is pleasing for the team to see you enjoyed the facilities and location.

I personally only know Bristol with seven years and have seen amazing transformations on the waterfront in that time, It must be amazing to have seen it fifty years ago and now comeback every few years, roll on progress!!

We hope to see you again at the next reunion,

Manchester
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was my second visit to The Bristol Hotel and once again, I can't fault the staff for politeness and helpfulness. However, my room was very different from my last visit, being much smaller and not having a Nespresso machine. My evening meal, ordered via room service was not good value for money. I paid £13.50 for what was described as a creamy chicken curry but was in fact, stringy chicken in a curry stock. I would have just let this go but I had the same experience on my last visit when I ordered a meal via room service: burnt chips and a burger for £12+. I have read good reviews about the restaurant, so maybe it is just room service meals..or maybe I have been unlucky on both occasions. Breakfast in The River Grille was lovely with a lot to choose from....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Val B,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and it is great to hear you find the team polite and helpful.

I appreciate it is of little solace to you at this point, but we have today (25.04) launched a new Room service menu as a result of recent feedback. The new menu is more aligned to our overall offering throughout the hotel thus improving the quality and time it takes to prepare. We envisage this will have an immediate impact on the offering.

If you drop me a note to let me know when you are staying in the hotel again, I would be happy to organise complimentary room service for you and perhaps you could give me your feedback on our new offering.

I hope to welcome you back to the Bristol hotel in the near future,

mark_payne@doylecollection.com
UK
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were in Bristol for one night at a concert at Colston Hall and The Bristol Hotel was an ideal location less than 10 minutes stroll from the venue. The hotel is in a very lively area, with many resturants and bars in the immediate vicinity. We chose a smallish, entry level room, which was fine for an overnight stay, but we would have wanted more space (and bigger than a standard double bed) for any longer. We found it quite warm so resorted to leaving the window open, and with a busy road outside (people rather than cars) this led to a quite disturbed night. We did not like that trays left in the corridor were not cleared quickly. Although not particularly busy, service in the nice-looking bar was very slow and we eventually gave up waiting. But overall it was a convenient base, and with a room at less than £100 for the night, good value.

Dear SAW51,

Thank you for your review and apologies for the fact the hotel did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.

Standards of service and attention to detail are the hallmark of our business and we will be using your perfectly valid points to ensure we improve our product,